Thailand may collect tolls on foreign automobiles entering the country when the region become a single market

webfact

3 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Lucky for those countries in that case to have no tolls....

French highways are the worst with say a 540 km trip to the South of France around US$ 130,-- .

Spain or Italy would be  a bit cheaper, same mileage would be the équivalent of around US$ 50,--

Switzerland has the best system in Europe, you pay a flat rate for a sticker and you get unlimited use of the highways. Cost around US$ 45,--

...etc. etc. etc.

I think you are comparing Apples and oranges. The article is firstly about paying a toll to cross the border and is extra to paying any normal road tolls. Unless it has changed you can drive from the Channel ports to the south of France without going on any autoroutes and thus avoid any tolls?

IE. there is no flat charge to cross a border/enter a country.

Edited by topt
typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, observer90210 said:

French highways are the worst with say a 540 km trip to the South of France around US$ 130,-- .

Spain or Italy would be  a bit cheaper, same mileage would be the équivalent of around US$ 50,--

Switzerland has the best system in Europe, you pay a flat rate for a sticker and you get unlimited use of the highways. Cost around US$ 45,--

...etc. etc. etc.

Where did you get this toll price for the french highways? Last summer I did Paris to Marseilles on the A6 (760 Km on the highway) and paid less than 60 €. You can check all the itineraries and the cost for the french highways on the net.

Edited by Zyxel

5 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Never heard of foreign cars not paying the toll fares anywhere in the world...so this will be absolutely normal if Thailand requires foreign vehicles to participate.

Aren't they suggesting a toll specifically for foreign cars over and above the normal road tolls that everyone pays?

17 minutes ago, Zyxel said:

Where did you get this toll price for the french highways? Last summer I did Paris to Marseilles on the A6 (760 Km on the highway) and paid less than 60 €. You can check all the itineraries and the cost for the french highway on the net.

Of course you did as from Paris it is cheap. We took the car from Switzerland (Genève)  and the french highway that touches Switzerland is one of the most expensive in France and if you are going to St Tropez area it costs a real blast -  a low cost flight is almost cheaper.  The frenchies don't have a fixed rate of calculation and the rates vary depending where you take the highway and which highway you use. Marseilles is obviously a cheap area and it also depends from where you start the trip.

For instance, from Switzerland it will cost around 100 €uros to Marseilles, despite the distance being shorter from Paris.

This website will hopefully be of good use to you in case you plan any further trips in France.

https://fr.viamichelin.ch/web/Itineraires?departure=Geneve%2C Switzerland&departureId=31MzZqbTEwY05EWXVNakF6T0RFPWNOaTR4TXprNU53PT0=&arrival=marseille&arrivalId=31NDI5OGMxMGNORE11TWprMU1RPT1jTlM0ek56UTBOdz09&index=0&vehicle=0&type=0&distance=km&currency=EUR&highway=false&toll=false&vignette=false&orc=false&crossing=true&caravan=false&car=hatchback&fuel=petrol&fuelCost=1.36&allowance=0&corridor=&departureDate=&arrivalDate=

Edited by observer90210

On 11/28/2017 at 1:18 PM, Ricardo said:

I wonder if one might get a discount, for using specially-designated high-in-potholes routes, and how those might be distinguished from the rest of the Thai road-network ? :whistling:

Perhaps foreign aircraft might similarly pay an increased-toll, coming over here, and excessively-wearing-out Thai runways ? :shock1:

They pay landing fees already

7 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Of course you did as from Paris it is cheap. We took the car from Switzerland (Genève)  and the french highway that touches Switzerland is one of the most expensive in France and if you are going to St Tropez area it costs a real blast -  a low cost plane is almost cheaper.  The frenchies don't have a fixed rate of calculation it's all done depending on the destination the area. Marseilles is obviously a cheap area and it also depends from where you start the trip.

I think that the cost per km is related to the cost of building the highway. Building a highway in the mountains is very expensive due to the tunnels and bridges which have to be built. If you did not take the highway and instead the "nationale" your trip would have been a lot longer and cost you more for the gas. The low cost plane ticket is cheaper if you are alone. But may-be you also have to add the cost of renting a car at your destination.

8 minutes ago, Zyxel said:

I think that the cost per km is related to the cost of building the highway. Building a highway in the mountains is very expensive due to the tunnels and bridges which have to be built. If you did not take the highway and instead the "nationale" your trip would have been a lot longer and cost you more for the gas. The low cost plane ticket is cheaper if you are alone. But may-be you also have to add the cost of renting a car at your destination.

Obviously but as you seemed surprised in the figures on my initial post, I took the permission to give you a scope on the differences of rates in the tolls. As for the rest,  it is always more fun when in a group by the beach, to travel in one's own car and thus be able to carry all the necessary beach toys to feel at home !

Edited by observer90210

4 hours ago, jonclark said:

1.5 baht per kilometer - isn't that the rate you get charged in a taxi after the 37 baht fee?  So your car becomes a personal taxi meter once you enter Thailand?? Wonder if it charges at 2 baht a minute when stuck in traffic like a taxi also? 

I will be very surprised if this ever works - installing GPS on cars entering the country - I mean most of the CCTV cameras don't work and that is pretty basic tech in a stationary object a, so i cannot see something more complex and highly mobile getting very far. 

500 baht for bring a car in job done - why make it needlessly complex and expensive to set up. A one off fee requires minimal investment in administration and paperwork and is much more efficient. 

One problem with your suggestion. It requires brains to operate.

4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

ASEAN will never become a "full single market".

The "toll" in this case just sounds like an extra fee to be paid upon entering the country.

Okay, half single market then.

Edited by jenny2017

Never heard of foreign cars not paying the toll fares anywhere in the world...so this will be absolutely normal if Thailand requires foreign vehicles to participate.

As far as I know, there are no charges when driving across borders in the EU.

4 hours ago, jonclark said:

1.5 baht per kilometer - isn't that the rate you get charged in a taxi after the 37 baht fee?  So your car becomes a personal taxi meter once you enter Thailand?? Wonder if it charges at 2 baht a minute when stuck in traffic like a taxi also? 

I will be very surprised if this ever works - installing GPS on cars entering the country - I mean most of the CCTV cameras don't work and that is pretty basic tech in a stationary object a, so i cannot see something more complex and highly mobile getting very far. 

500 baht for bring a car in job done - why make it needlessly complex and expensive to set up. A one off fee requires minimal investment in administration and paperwork and is much more efficient. 

Loads of cars just go to Hat Yai...500 baht would be a bit steep for that. 

4 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Saudi Arabia/Bahrain no toll. USA/Canada/Mexico no toll.

When you cross the border into Switzerland on the motorway you must pay the "Autoroute" tax (Used to be 40 Sfr, about 45 USD), unless you already have the sticker for the current year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

"In the second phase, between the fourth and seventh years of implementation, Wilairat said a GPS system would be installed on foreign vehicles to track their locations and routes."

Hmm...who pays for this then?

... ‘Big Brother’ !

It's a fair bet when the Thai big shots make a decision about something it will end up being a complete balls-up. Just like this will be.

They never think through the consequences of their actions and as always there will be unfavourable outcomes.

Then it will be back to the drawing board and a new policy will be devised and revised and there is a fair chance that also will be another stuff-up.

Organisational skills are not in Thai military genes.

Parade ground skills and barking orders yes. But running a country....NO!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jonclark said:

Because there are more kick backs doing it this way. TiT remember. There isn't any money to be made in making it easy.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand To Toll, Track Foreign Drivers

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

6242765472_346ec24920_b-696x464.jpg  

A car at a Thailand border. Photo: Remy Rossi / Flickr

BANGKOK — Foreign drivers entering at border crossings will soon have to pay tolls and subject to GPS tracking while they are in the kingdom.

On Monday, the transportation officials proposed a plan to charge cars driving into the country in order to get funding for road maintenance.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/transpo/2017/11/28/thailand-toll-track-foreign-drivers/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-11-28

Ah, the GPS tracking comes up again. How long before every tourist and expat has to submit to GPS tracking on a permanent basis? Because we are all potential criminals of course.

:sad:

46 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

I thought it was that all falang has to be tracked, before I read it, my first thought was, time for Wifey to learn driving a car. 

I think the ultimate objective will indeed be that all falang have to be tracked. Given that most have a smart phone it's already happening anyway, so no difference being tracked by the Thais as well. Then they can tell if they can fine us for staying somewhere other than our residence without doing TM30- gonna make billions of baht on that one :shock1:.

5 hours ago, jonclark said:

I will be very surprised if this ever works - installing GPS on cars entering the country.....

500 baht for bring a car in job done - why make it needlessly complex and expensive to set up.

just think of the massive contract!

10,000 gps units at 100,000 baht each

20,000 battery packs at 25,000 baht each

150 fiberglass cows cause why not

data download devices, maintenance contracts...

the opportunities are endless

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChouDoufu said:

just think of the massive contract!

10,000 gps units at 100,000 baht each

20,000 battery packs at 25,000 baht each

150 fiberglass cows cause why not

data download devices, maintenance contracts...

the opportunities are endless

Don't need to put GPS in the car. Just use the tracking on everyone's smartphone.

...etc. etc. etc.

Ever been to Germany? No toll, no speed limit and first class "Autobahn" and other roads.