What age can a foreigner get a Thai motorbike license

thaiclan

My 15 year old (British) has been learning to ride a motorbike and now is ready to obtain a Thai driving license.  Many kids at the school have done this but it just occurred to me that actually these kids are half Thai and probably obtained via their Thai passport.
I did stop into a visa shop yesterday to ask (they do driving license matters there) and they didn't know but did say they didn't think a foreigner under 18 could NOT obtain a license (unlike a Thai who can get a motorbike license at age 15 to ride a bike less than 125cc).

Before I make the trek out to Highway 36 (Pattaya) just wondering if anyone knew a definitive answer here...... Can a 15,16,17 year old foreigner obtain a Thai motorbike license, take the test etc?

26 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

I would say 15 but first 

If the applicant is not Thai national, the applicant must hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can not apply).

That information is evidently wrong, looking at my thai driving license and being on a TR visa. And many other people here in Phuket have the same. But they are limited to 2 year temporary licenses instead of the 5 year ones that Non-Imm visa holders can get.

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

That information is evidently wrong, looking at my thai driving license and being on a TR visa. And many other people here in Phuket have the same. But they are limited to 2 year temporary licenses instead of the 5 year ones that Non-Imm visa holders can get.

Must be a Phuket thing for tourists?

In order to qualify for a Thai driving license, applicants must be at least 18 years old, in good physical and mental health and hold a valid non-immigration visa. Although applicants must show that they are either living and working in the country or are living in Thailand on a retirement visa, some people reported that they can make a Thai driving license with a tourist visa.

https://www.thailandstarterkit.com/lifestyle/thai-driving-license/

@Rally123, Thanks for that.  I did see that info but it appears to be just for a car license.
Thai people can obtain a motorbike license at age 15 and what I would like to know is if a foreign 15 year old can do the same.  I can't really see why not -but you never know.
I shall probably just make the trip out to the driving license office on Friday and get the info first-hand.  I shall be sure to post here so that others know the definitive info.

6 minutes ago, thaiclan said:

@Rally123, Thanks for that.  I did see that info but it appears to be just for a car license.
Thai people can obtain a motorbike license at age 15 and what I would like to know is if a foreign 15 year old can do the same.  I can't really see why not -but you never know.
I shall probably just make the trip out to the driving license office on Friday and get the info first-hand.  I shall be sure to post here so that others know the definitive info.

Both my (step) kids did their motorbike tests the day after they got their ID cards and I believe that was at 15. If they didn't have a license, they weren't driving a bike on the road! But they were/are Thai so I know that doesn't help you very much.

Also believe the issue of the ID cards were relevant to them taking the test (as opposed to passports that you mentioned earlier).

Edited by chrisinth

@chrisinth....Yeah there are several kids in her school and class (age 15 & 16) who have their license but like your step children they are Thai or half Thai.
My daughter has her Student ID card.  I didn't really think of this question whilst she was learning, but now the time is here for her to get a license it just popped into my mind and I realise I don't know a single full foreigner under 18 yr old who has a bike license.  I hadn't thought about it before. . . 

Edited by thaiclan

1 minute ago, thaiclan said:

That's encouraging spetersen. Do you know this first-hand?. . . 

Yes for sure, My son who is 15 got his license 6 months ago at DLT Pattaya but the kid needs a residence certificate from immigration and passport copies on the rental contract where you live or copy of the blue Tabien Ban and 2 photos ( just go and make an appointment) Go early the open at 8 AM.

1 minute ago, spetersen said:

Yes for sure, My son who is 15 got his license 6 months ago at DLT Pattaya but the kid needs a residence certificate from immigration and passport copies on the rental contract where you live or copy of the blue Tabien Ban and 2 photos ( just go and make an appointment) Go early the open at 8 AM.

Brilliant, thanks for the info.
Will post back here when all done for future viewers :-)

zjai and foreigners are the same, how can even somebody think there will be a different in getting a driver license.

My son did it after he was 15 and he is not Thai, you need the normal papers for the DL like any foreigner, you doing the test and then you get 2 years temporary DL in 2 month he will get his 5 year DL in Chiang Mai

58 minutes ago, chickenrunCM said:

zjai and foreigners are the same, how can even somebody think there will be a different in getting a driver license.

Well maybe because there are indeed lots of differences when it comes to official documents and Thai vs forgeigner? It's totally understandable that the OP wanted some real world first hand info.

5 hours ago, thaiclan said:

Yes she is here on a 1 year ED visa studying at international school.  She fits all the listed criteria but I cant find anything about age other than must be 18 for a car license.

Do you really want your daughter driving on Thai roads with Thai drivers at 15. Please think about that just a bit. Seems very reckless to me.. 

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

No, not a Phuket thing, you just have websites with incorrect information.

The web is full of incorrect information then. Not just the two I posted links to.

Documents Required

1) Passport with non-immigrant visa. You will also need photocopies of the photo page, non-immigrant visa page and current entry stamp page.

http://www.knowphuket.com/drivinglicense.htm

2 hours ago, Rally123 said:

The web is full of incorrect information then. Not just the two I posted links to.

Unfortunately yes. A lot of sites also just copy other sites. Some info is plain wrong and some just outdated. In this case they probably copied the information from the official DLT site www.dlt.go.th which has this part and other things wrong (e.g. one year license while it's two years).