Phuket lifeguard contract fails to draw any bids

snoop1130

Phuket lifeguard contract fails to draw any bids

The Phuket News

1511953627_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- The Phuket Provincial Administration Organisation (PPAO, or OrBorJor) today announced via its phuketcity.org website that no bids had been received for the tender to provide essential lifeguard services on Phuket’s beaches.

The announcement today (Nov 29) followed the tender for bids for the service coming to a close at 4:30pm last Thursday (Nov 23). Bidding for the tender opened on Nov 6.

“Nobody has placed bids for the tender. Therefore, the PPAO has cancelled the tender for e-bidding on this project,” read a document signed by PPAO Deputy Chief Satien Kaewpraprab on the website.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-lifeguard-contract-fails-to-draw-any-bids-64911.php#yBVKKrfdiQXFdxf4.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-11-29

Advertise in Australia where there are a multitude of qualified lifesavers (aka lifeguards), When I was a kid it was considered as a rite of passage to attain such a noble qualification, A time when youngsters were not enveloped in their mobile phone bubble, A. time when there were no toorasap zombies

Isn't this kind of backwards?  Shouldn't they accept bids from any qualified candidates, then question and vet them, and finally choose which candidate is best based on cost and services provided.........................  Not unlike any other bidding process for any gov't jobs, underpasses, roads, bridges, services etc.    

They might even get some envelopes coming back to them if they carried out the bidding process like every other gov't jobs put out to bid.

There is a cultural mind set issue here.

Basically the locals only go in water to have a shower. Even with the miles of coastline, rivers and lakes combined with warm weather.

You never see hordes of local kids swimming. They splash about but there is no one teaching them to actually learn proper strokes and improve ability.

Any time I see a Thai in the water they do that strange double arm dogpaddle, fingers splayed wide open with a front crawl leg kick, and only for a few yards.

They also swim fully clothed due to their insane hatred of the sun.They have a real fear of going out of their depth as well.

You might notice the vast majority of deaths on beaches that are reported are foreign holiday makers and basically the locals/Gov could care less.

However, one of the biggest causes of teenage death in Thailand is drowning. So I guess this must happen in the rural areas in rivers and reservoirs.

I grew up in an era in the UK when all children were trained and expected to swim at least 50 yards. The locals can barely manage 5.

So, even if someone really wanted to make a business out of this, where are they going to find the strong, powerful swimmers?

Coupled with the real ability to carry out CPR and the wherewithal to pay attention to what is going on for more than 2 seconds and stay off their bleeding phones.

Not in LoS that is for sure. So expect to see more headlines over the high season of drowning's.

Btw - I qualified in the UK as a swimming pool lifeguard and both my kids could swim like fish before they were 5 years old.  

Edited by lonewolf99
spelling

4 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

There is a cultural mind set issue here.

Basically the locals only go in water to have a shower. Even with the miles of coastline, rivers and lakes combined with warm weather.

You never see hordes of local kids swimming. They splash about but there is no one teaching them to actually learn proper strokes and improve ability.

Any time I see a Thai in the water they do that strange double arm dogpaddle, fingers splayed wide open with a front crawl leg kick, and only for a few yards.

They also swim fully clothed due to their insane hatred of the sun.They have a real fear of going out of their depth as well.

You might notice the vast majority of deaths on beaches that are reported are foreign holiday makers and basically the locals/Gov could care less.

However, one of the biggest causes of teenage death in Thailand is drowning. So I guess this must happen in the rural areas in rivers and reservoirs.

I grew up in an era in the UK when all children were trained and expected to swim at least 50 yards. The locals can barely manage 5.

So, even if someone really wanted to make a business out of this, where are they going to find the strong, powerful swimmers?

Coupled with the real ability to carry out CPR and the wherewithal to pay attention to what is going on for more than 2 seconds and stay off their bleeding phones.

Not in LoS that is for sure. So expect to see more headlines over the high season of drowning's.

Btw - I qualified in the UK as a swimming pool lifeguard and both my kids could swim like fish before they were 5 years old.  

Mmm.. lets see

phuket already had long serving lifeguards, trained by Australian lifeguards, and they did go out and rescue people.... a couple even on the last day of their contract, which the Phuket governor decided not to renew, because of cost.

a company will provide the service, if its paid appropriately.... but.... Phuket needs to anti up and pay people appropriately to risk their lives for others

8 hours ago, poyai111 said:

Advertise in Australia where there are a multitude of qualified lifesavers (aka lifeguards), When I was a kid it was considered as a rite of passage to attain such a noble qualification, A time when youngsters were not enveloped in their mobile phone bubble, A. time when there were no toorasap zombies

They care about their "image" but not that much :giggle:, to give foreigners a ten month visa and a work permit to fill the positions would be just too much loss of face.I"m sure there would be many youngsters who would jump at the chance and do a great job.

On 11/30/2017 at 8:22 PM, Sir Dude said:

There is obviously no scamming margin in the tender for a company...or they are waiting till the price is upped and then corruption can commence forthwith.

Sir Dude the tender was put out with 4 months extra work and less money than the last Contract. I understand all the hotels pay % for beach life guard service and there aint any. Nice little earner for someone - Guess Who?

• 1 month later...