Two American tourists fined 5000 Baht for 'butt selfie' at Thai temple

webfact

2 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

had they done a similar act in Pakistan they would be dead

lynched by a mob

probably by fire

If they had done that in Dagenham (Essex) they would have been bought drinks all night long!

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It is common for more naive Americans to think they have a special shield around them while traveling abroad. The delusion of "American exceptionalism" and all that. They may get this from Fox News type propaganda that occasionally focuses on extraordinary efforts to help some rare particular Americans in trouble abroad that fails to say the truth, that in most cases, the U.S. government can't really do anything (if they even care to try). 

Most of the people you talk about are the msnbc  cnn and lgbt crowed

Not naming any names, but I think the few posters here that proclaim their sexual preference every chance they get, or start every post with "my partner and I".... should go to the Bang Yai Lockup and bring their fellow (or fella) gay militants some condoms or even a chastity belt with a seven digit combo.  Maybe also take responsibility for promoting immoral acts in a foreign country or period.  

3 minutes ago, bannork said:

What is there to flash yer bum at in Dagenham?

There are 4 railway sations, some decent pubs, Dag & Red f/c, the Chase, a couple of old churches ('though think they have been turned into flats) X-keys church (bloody row with those bells every sunday morning) and a new flyover linking London with Dartford river crossing.

Plenty of stuff!!

Might have other landmarks since I was last there.

8 minutes ago, BuddyDean said:

Not naming any names, but I think the few posters here that proclaim their sexual preference every chance they get, or start every post with "my partner and I".... should go to the Bang Yai Lockup and bring their fellow (or fella) gay militants some condoms or even a chastity belt with a seven digit combo.  Maybe also take responsibility for promoting immoral acts in a foreign country or period.  

There it is again. Toxic homophobia. Must be fun to think you're morally superior. Emphasis on think. You most definitely aren't. 

13 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

One can be forgiven for assuming that LGBT are a majority - until they do some research:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_demographics_of_the_United_States

Consider the definition of hate speech:
"Hate speech is speech which attacks a person or group on the basis of attributes such as race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, or gender. ... A website which uses hate speech may be called a hate site."

Now ponder the following hypothetical exchange. Then ask " why is heterophobic hate speech tolerated?"

"Can gay teachers have a negative effect upon children?

"Of course not!"

"How do you know, has it been scientifically studied?"

"Studied by whom - strait male homophobes? I can't stand you sick Neanderthals"

What does the legal problems of this couple have to do with your homophobic obsession with opposing gay people to be teachers? 

13 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

IMO

their best option is plead guilty

pay the fine 

hope they get a suspended sentence

and get on a plane

Just can't agree with this. Laws are not changed by pleading guilty. They must challenge this nonsense. Make these religious nutters see sense. Turn it into an International incident. What's a few years in the slammer anyway if you know you're innocent.

People of Thailand; do not despair. It's only the unloved who hate. Your day will come.

Edited by owl sees all

27 minutes ago, bannork said:

These guys were obnoxious in their behaviour but I'm willing to wager they will be back in the States within a few months at the latest. 

That's your opinion. I have no opinion about what's going to happen them. All I know is this --

They pled guilty to the more minor charge with a fine of 5,000 baht each.

They are still being held in detention.

The authorities are seriously talking about charging them both with two additional VERY SERIOUS crimes, both of which can result in multiple year prison terms.

So I have no idea whether those charges will be formally pursued or not, and you don't either.

It's worrisome for them though. 

This seems to be a matter of religious and national FACE now. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Just can't agree with this. Laws are not changed by pleading guilty. They must challenge this nonsense. Make the religious nutter see sense. Turn it into an International incident. What's a few years in the slammer anyway if you know you're innocent.

People of Thailand; do not despair. It's only the unloved who hate. Your day will come.

They already pled guilty to the exposure charge with fine. They had to! Pictures.

The two new potential serious charges if pursued, well, that's would be a whole new ballgame. 

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's your opinion. I have no opinion about what's going to happen them. All I know is this --

They pled guilty to the more minor charge with a fine of 5,000 baht each.

They are still being held in detention.

The authorities are seriously talking about charging them both with two additional VERY SERIOUS crimes, both of which can result in multiple year prison terms.

So I have no idea whether those charges will be formally or not, and you don't either.

It's worrisome for them though. 

This seems to be a matter of religious and national FACE now. 

Jungthing, calm down., you've been in Thailand long enough to know that laws are flexible for Thais with money and foreigners that come from countries with clout if the crime is not serious.. it's a story on Thai Visa today, it's gone tomorrow. 

I bet it's already yesterday's news in the Thai media. 

A couple of weeks in the slammer at the most, though I'd give em 6 months.