Are you a phone shouter?

canuckamuck

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I imagine they do it for health reasons. Lots of publicity about the possible damage to body from radiation by holding it "near the ear"?

Yes, and more specifically one's brain is probably particularly susceptible to the radiation. A brain pickled in Chang may well be immune to this........:crazy:..............or already damaged beyond repair so why worry.........:clap2:.

Many people still yell even with the phone to there ear.......and ride a motor bike at the same time.

Last night walking along I could hear what I thought was a Thai couple having a full blown argument somewhere up ahead with an obviously very angry woman yelling hysterically. A minute or two later the angry woman passed on her motorbike, phone to ear, still yelling angrily at full volume!

Just now, connda said:

My wife is a phone shouter. Can't bring it to her attention without her becoming a husband shouter.  :sleep:

My Thai lady does the same while pointing into the air and using what is obviously Thai phone semaphor! But she does have a sense of humour and smiles when I start to mimic her every action in front of her.

Are you a phone shouter?

I'm really not sure, I'm getting more and more deaf by the day. Let me know, if I ever call you, although that is unlikely to happen. I ordered a military spec flip phone from Amazon so I wouldn't have to carry a phone the size of a TV in my pocket and I only turn it on when I leave the gym to go to the pool at noon. Then I turn it off at 18:00 hrs so I can enjoy my dinner and time with my wife in the evening.

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

I doubt you know what the OP knows or does not know? However, you are the one who said video calling, “ . . . requires the caller to hold the phone so you can be seen and have on loud speaker.”  Which leads me to believe you did not know.

Now, you agree with me, when before, what I said was stupid. Perhaps you should wait even longer before trying to boost your post counts.

Are you saying, if I am not sensitive, you do not apologize?

You obvously need a cuddle Smotherb. You are twisting my words and putting your own interpretation on them. Anyway this is my last post on the subject. Reply and have the last word if you wish. Just to boost your post count lol

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I imagine they do it for health reasons. Lots of publicity about the possible damage to body from radiation by holding it "near the ear"?

Oh that is an old wive's tale. My great grandmother lived to 117 and used a smart phone every day of her life. Never once did I see her use the video call function.

19 minutes ago, jimn said:

You obvously need a cuddle Smotherb. You are twisting my words and putting your own interpretation on them. Anyway this is my last post on the subject. Reply and have the last word if you wish. Just to boost your post count lol

Do you really think it's about boosting post count, or is it about proving to you how  wrong you are?

2 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Oh that is an old wive's tale. My great grandmother lived to 117 and used a smart phone every day of her life. Never once did I see her use the video call function.

People didn't start using the term "smartphone" until 1995, but the first true smartphone actually made its debut three years earlier in 1992. It was called the Simon Personal Communicator, and it was created by IBM more than 15 years before Apple released the iPhone.

I think your telling 'old granny' tales.  :smile:

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

People didn't start using the term "smartphone" until 1995, but the first true smartphone actually made its debut three years earlier in 1992. It was called the Simon Personal Communicator, and it was created by IBM more than 15 years before Apple released the iPhone.

I think your telling 'old granny' tales.  :smile:

What gave me away?

3 hours ago, jimn said:

Proves how out of touch you are. Many people now call on video calling via apps like Messenger, Line, WhatsApp etc. This requires the caller to hold the phone so you can be seen and have on loud speaker. But being one of the old school you wouldnt know that would you.

Well, sarcasm aside, I've suggested a couple of times as people shout down the corridors of the condo, that they try turning the phone ON.   

On another occasion, I spoke to one hyper-loud lady that she not say anything too personal.

She looked quite shocked when I told her we could all hear everything she was shouting into the phone.     :sorry:

Funny story. Friend always has on ear buds. Feels he has to shout over whatever he's listening to. Late one night on LAX-BKK flight I walked back through the quiet plane to see how he was doing stuck in his middle seat in the 5-seat center section. He was wesring earbuds, looking at in-flight gift magazine. He held up a picture of fancy sprays and asked me in a very very loud stage voice, "Is this the stuff women spray on their puxxies?" There I stood, the only person to look at all the way back to my seat.

7 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Hey good excuse. I have read a number of articles about brain cancer caused by cellular radiation. I also read it can be negated by tin foil hats. Me thinks I read too much maybe? I also read some story that the earth is over heating due to greenhouse gasses and smoking causes cancer.

6 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I could add people who do video calls in crowds or public place to my list of peeves.

When people say turn on the video I always say no. It's a stupid feature, except for lovers and long separated relatives/friends. And those kind of calls should be done with more privacy

Totally agree 

Here is a pet peeve of mine. Guests, to be polite I always offer a drink to visitors, either soft drinks, juices or water. The usually choose water, then take one drink and leave. That is wasteful it irritates the hell out of me. At least take the bottle with you when you leave. What am I supposed to do with a bottle of water with your backwash in it? Be wasteful and throw it away? Or drink it? Oh wait, here's an idea, save it for the next guest. 555

4 hours ago, jimn said:

I don’t need a cuddle from you, thanks anyway.

So, I am twisting your words? Perhaps you do not recall, but in one post in referring to video calls, you said, “This requires the caller to hold the phone so you can be seen and have on loud speaker.” And, in another post you said, “I was just responding to the OP who clearly was unaware of video calling and assumed people were holding normal calls on loudspeaker.”

So, how was my post twisting your words, uninformed as they may be?

Yes, please do, crawl away, gather your senses, and come play another day. I’ll await your proper apology.

38 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Here is a pet peeve of mine. Guests, to be polite I always offer a drink to visitors, either soft drinks, juices or water. The usually choose water, then take one drink and leave. That is wasteful it irritates the hell out of me. At least take the bottle with you when you leave. What am I supposed to do with a bottle of water with your backwash in it? Be wasteful and throw it away? Or drink it? Oh wait, here's an idea, save it for the next guest. 555

I pour a glass of water, if they leave it, no problem, goes on the plants. BTW it's filtered tap water, refrigerated.

On 12/2/2017 at 9:50 AM, jimn said:

Proves how out of touch you are. Many people now call on video calling via apps like Messenger, Line, WhatsApp etc. This requires the caller to hold the phone so you can be seen and have on loud speaker. But being one of the old school you wouldnt know that would you.

Actually very few people do video calls in public, and if they do they can still use ear buds while looking at video screen --- but you wouldn't know that would you?

Edited by HerbalEd

On 04/12/2017 at 12:45 AM, HerbalEd said:

Actually very few people do video calls in public, and if they do they can still use ear buds while looking at video screen --- but you wouldn't know that would you?

It wouldn't matter because they would still be shouting/