Russian tourist in Pattaya dies after falling from condo balcony onto metal spikes

rooster59

I can't imagine the pain he was in. A horrible way to die...and just because he forgot his keys. So many alternatives such as asking the neighbours for help. They may have even let him stay for a few hours and later he could have sought professional help. But no, he chose to climb. Sad.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I'm guessing at 4 am he came in drunk, woke all the neighbors up and fell. Only a complete idiot or a drunk would attempt this. Most people are probably tucked up in bed at this time - you certainly dont go banging on your neighours door at 4 am unless inebriated. 

Of course I could be wrong, but i'm sure toxicology will show alcohol involved - or some substance. 

Yes, in the video , they were saying that he was drunk

If there was a master key, he probably did not want to wake up anybody. He was my neighbor before

and a very kind and polite guy, always smiling and taking time for a chat. He used to live in the room

above me, and was always apologizing and asking if he had been noisy. He was the only Russian 

I have ever heard of who know how to use the door handle to close a door, as opposed to slamming

it and waking up the whole building. He spoke English and even Thai, and was just a real good guy. 

I never asked him what kind of VISA he had, but I would not have called him a tourist. He was not

that kind of person who get drunk every day, so this was just a very tragic accident. 

His girlfriend is devastated, and we are all very sad about what happened. 

RIP my friend.

1 minute ago, gerritkaew said:

wauw thats fur sure!!

I don't anderstand why he want to try this, why not wait and let someone els try to open the door...

I think a lot of people, mostly men would try such a thing especially on lower floors. It's kind of a macho thing. I don't see any point on dwelling on his mistake except as perhaps a cautionary tale for others. 

7 minutes ago, Eagleizer said:

If there was a master key, he probably did not want to wake up anybody. He was my neighbor before

and a very kind and polite guy, always smiling and taking time for a chat. He used to live in the room

above me, and was always apologizing and asking if he had been noisy. He was the only Russian 

I have ever heard of who know how to use the door handle to close a door, as opposed to slamming

it and waking up the whole building. He spoke English and even Thai, and was just a real good guy. 

I never asked him what kind of VISA he had, but I would not have called him a tourist. He was not

that kind of person who get drunk every day, so this was just a very tragic accident. 

His girlfriend is devastated, and we are all very sad about what happened. 

RIP my friend.

Thank you for telling us about the guy, maybe people will think first before making ill informed comments.

A tragic accident

And we have all done risky things in our lives....let's learn from this poor fellows costly mistake

RIP

7 hours ago, HLover said:

Not sure what the word for "ouch" in Russian is; but this looks like a painful way to exit this life.

Sounds like

yomaiyo bl.t y.p Tw.yo M.t

May he RIP

This is a horrible story. 

And yet, I cannot count the number of times I have been locked out, lost key, or whatever and could not get into a condo or place I was staying and could not get someone downstairs to open the door. I always do / did the same thing: walk to a cheap hotel and pay 500 baht or whatever to sleep till the am when I can address the situation. Never occurred to me to climb out a window ... I mean especially when hotels are so cheap and easy to find here.

Poor buggar. I  was involved in a rescue very similar in a hotel. Impaled by 3 spikes. The guy lived.

We found out later that he did not want to be rescued, died of cancer 2 months later.

Hindsite is a wonderful thing but worth remembering if ever happens to you that a cheap hotel room 

is the way to go

Well whoever designed the spiked grill will be happy,,   sure stopped him from getting from one condo to the other. 

but would't just a grill have done the same job without taking a innocent life !!!   just wanted to get into is room..

I guess at 4 am his judgement wasn't the best , and probably more than just a little drunk.. 

Rescue workers from Sawang Boromtham Foundation eventually managed to cut the man free and he was taken to Pattaya City Memorial Hospital but was pronounced dead a short time later.

I had been there after a motorbike accident and it's not the place people wanna be after a serious injury, believe me.

RIP, Nastrovia

5 hours ago, balo said:

After watching the rescue operation it looks that they did their best , but I could not see any doctor at the scene to stop the bleeding , they could also given the man painkillers  .

I suspect he could have lived longer if they tried to stop the bleeding.  RIP. 

It seems that he died through his huge loss of blood. RIP, what a sad way to go. 

As unfortunate as this person was; the metal spikes did the intended job of keeping people from gaining balcony access.  This was yet another preventable occurrence (master key at desk, calling a locksmith, breaking the lock, ect....)

RIP

We have an electric gate opener at out house, and when the electric is off, we sometimes climb over the wall. Many times I have looked at those same spikes, and wondered what would happen if I slipped. We have a spare key, for manual, but sometimes its not with us. Now we will come up with a better plan, too dangerous. Maybe others will learn from this tragic accident.

8 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Horrible, RIP. You would think that he could have gotten a master key from the Juristic. Too bad to die because of a poor decision. Quite feel sorry for the neighbour too, can't be feeling to good about the outcome.

I did the lock the key in the room deal. Went to the juristic office. They did not have a key, but sent a maintainance guy round who, with my permission, yanked the door knob off with a spanner. Replaced it at Homepro for 69 baht on offer.

Just a suggestion of alternatives.

RIP, man.

3 hours ago, csabo said:

If he lost as much blood as the implied he probably damaged his femoral artery which gave him a very short window to survive.  Also, I don't know the details of the rescue but in the event you or someone you know is impaled or stabbed, leave the foreign object in place until he/she is at the hospital where doctors will remove it.  If it means cutting a chunk of the spiked fence away then do that and deliver the victim with the fence still embedded.  The violates most peoples instincts but could save a life.

I think most people do know that objects should be kept in when removing them will result in bleeding out. But that begs the question, you would think the rescue workers knew that too. But maybe just didn't have a way to get him to the hospital with the spikes still in (lack of tools for that)? In this case, perhaps there was no way he could have been saved. 

7 minutes ago, Gregster said:

No after-hour locksmiths in Pattaya?

Of course there are.  Anyone with a sledgehammer can access a door within seconds.

This event was very preventable.  Poor judgement resulted in death.

5 hours ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Don't they have a 24 hour Conscierge at these places? A downstairs reception manned for normal everyday things such as losing ones key?

Was Thai laziness and their everyday normal incompitence we endure the real reason the unfortunate  man died unnessesary?

Nothing to do with Thai laziness and all to do with the choices the deceased made. 

Not the first and won't be the last to does in somewhat similar circumstances.  A young bloke in a town near me locked himself out.  Came home drunk,  punched the glass window in the back door to get to the door handle.   Cut an artery in his arm.  Found the next day..... Bled to death. 

Archived