Have Lambretta blown their bloody feet off?

AllanB

Been reading up on what has happened since Lambretta folded in 1972 and Innocenti in 1997, but dyslexia rules KO, so I gave up and on the surface what seems to have happened is this:-

They have let Scomadi use their old designs and people love retro, so this British company are now singing in the rain, selling what seems to be an proper Italian (looking) Lambrettas. Here we see the Italians have now launched new models which are are not at all appealing, it seems. I think they are bleedin' awful and I am not the only one.

In the UK, Lambrettas had always outsold Vespas and the heart of any Italian machine is style, in the case of scooters it is everything. so I think these Jap lookalikes are a big mistake. Vespa have new designs but like Porsche they haven't strayed too far from the originals. Like my new GTS which looks like a Vespa ,but has modern mechanicals under the skin.

My guess is the Scomadi will outsell Lambretta and could even see it's demise.....but maybe this is because I am a stiff assed Brit with a few too many grey hairs

PS. I am sure someone who can read can fill in the blanks of what actually happened here.

4 hours ago, Rhys said:

So be it.. it is never the way you remember it..

Before I passed my car test I used to get a lift home from a friend on his Vespa GX200 (I think) now I have a GTS125 it is pretty much as I remember. Okay I never actually rode it, it was a 2 stroke with gears versus a 4 stroke with rubber band and it was 50 years ago, but the feel and look is familiar. I am well impressed I can tell you. Wouldn't turn my nose up at a Scomadi either, but no under-seat storage, looks and sounds great though. I wonder if they are still wearing parkas in the UK?

Riding a motorcycle here and a scooter in Europe, I guess that makes me a "Mocker". Halcyon days.

I know a lot of young guys will say "pa!" but vehicles were more fun then, I plan on buying a Triumph Spitfire when I get back to the UK. Did 100,000 miles pan-Europe on the two I had way back when, mostly with the roof down including ski trips. I guess I hankered after a bike.

Edited by AllanB

Nostalgia is a fond memory ("Absence makes the heart grow fonder") arising out of an absent person's inability to perceive changes that take place over time on things one remembers as static and permanent. Attempting to relive youthful memories is doomed to failure. This sentiment is closely mirrored in the final pages of Marcel Proust's novel Swann's Way, the first installment of his lengthy work In Search of Lost Time.

Edited by canthai55

21 hours ago, AllanB said:

Before I passed my car test I used to get a lift home from a friend on his Vespa GX200 (I think) now I have a GTS125 it is pretty much as I remember. Okay I never actually rode it, it was a 2 stroke with gears versus a 4 stroke with rubber band and it was 50 years ago, but the feel and look is familiar. I am well impressed I can tell you. Wouldn't turn my nose up at a Scomadi either, but no under-seat storage, looks and sounds great though. I wonder if they are still wearing parkas in the UK?

Riding a motorcycle here and a scooter in Europe, I guess that makes me a "Mocker". Halcyon days.

I know a lot of young guys will say "pa!" but vehicles were more fun then, I plan on buying a Triumph Spitfire when I get back to the UK. Did 100,000 miles pan-Europe on the two I had way back when, mostly with the roof down including ski trips. I guess I hankered after a bike.

A friend was having a conversation with another friend about buying a Triumph Spitfire years ago when a voice at the end of the bad says black hole. My friend say what the voice says black hole that is where your money will go if you buy one

On 04/12/2017 at 5:10 PM, moe666 said:

A friend was having a conversation with another friend about buying a Triumph Spitfire years ago when a voice at the end of the bad says black hole. My friend say what the voice says black hole that is where your money will go if you buy one

Not so, I know these cars very well, I rebuilt one once from the chassis up, they are very simple to repair, all parts available and cheap too in the UK. No tax, no MOT required and very cheap insurance.  A set of ramps and basic tools that's all...oh and 40mpg at speed.

I ran one as an apprentice getting paid bugga all, the biggest bill today is lead-free head inserts (if not done), which they can do for a few Euros in Portugal. 

Edited by AllanB

On 12/4/2017 at 6:03 PM, canthai55 said:

Bought a TR6 years ago. Gutless. Stuffed in a 327. Now we're talkin'

Passed a TR6 loong time ago in my Cooper S. He seem to run out of steam at about 110 mph. :tongue:

Before the Mini I had a Vitesse it was a nice car also, but got written off for parts :sad:

Edited by VocalNeal

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Passed a TR6 loong time ago in my Cooper S. He seem to run out of steam at about 110 mph. :tongue:

Before the Mini I had a Vitesse it was a nice car also, but got written off for parts :sad:

Who buys a classic car for speed, not too many I would suggest? In any case my Spit at an indicated 100mph was real fun,. With your backside just a few inches from the ground gives you the feeling of much higher speeds.

I guess if the reason for driving/riding classic machines has to be explained, you don't want one and that goes for classic new machines too. 

When I had mine they weren't classics, they were just cars.  I'm not sure I would choose Spitfire as SAH are no more. I don't need to go fast but like to know the engine is not straight from the factory. 

I think I would go Caterham if I lived in Europe.

For me the "Classic" car or bike is just the look. I do not want 1940's technology in 2017.

Why would you regress to those 'Golden Days or Yore' ? Which were not golden at all. Think Rose Colored Glasses ...

There is a reason Lucas was called the Prince of Darkness ...

Up to date brakes, suspension, engines make cars much more reliable, drivable, and enjoyable.

Which is why I own nothing that is stock. Make improvements in every vehicle I have owned, from 90cc motorcycles to cars and pickups.

Onward and upward

23 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

When I had mine they weren't classics, they were just cars.  I'm not sure I would choose Spitfire as SAH are no more. I don't need to go fast but like to know the engine is not straight from the factory. 

I think I would go Caterham if I lived in Europe.

Me too ( I had a 7 replica with a Ford Mexico engine and Lotus LSD, 0-60mph 4 seconds) but 5 to 10 times the price nowadays. 

Why do you need an engine straight from the factory,? Maybe you (young-whipper snappers) don't have experience of these low tech engines, they are really so simple. I would be scared to touch either of the tdi diesel engines in my Truck or Camper, but I could do anything on Spitfire. While living in Denmark (and skint) I changed the clutch plate at the side of the road in about two hours. The gearbox comes out inside the car, remove cowling screws, 8 bell-housing, 4 prop-shaft bolts, bish-bosche. A car jack, screwdriver and socket set.....like I said I know these cars, ..well up to MK3 anyway.

For me classic car/bike is, the looks, the feel, the smell, the sound, the ease of repair and resultant confidence, but mostly the club scene.

I will be learning about the RE Bullet next year, but expect the same....with a little dead finger thrown in for good measure when riding.

With all this boring electric shit on the horizon, I feel sorry for the today's kids, I recon the suicide rate will increase, with only smartphones left.