Trump tweets about Russia probe spark warnings from lawmakers

webfact

Trump tweets about Russia probe spark warnings from lawmakers

By Roberta Rampton

tag_reuters.jpg

FILE PHOTO - President Donald Trump speaks with reporters at the White House. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A series of tweets by U.S. President Donald Trump about the investigation into contacts between his 2016 campaign and Russia prompted concerns on Sunday among both Democratic and Republican lawmakers, with Republican Senator Lindsey Graham saying Trump could be wading into "peril" by commenting on the probe.

"I would just say this with the president: There's an ongoing criminal investigation," Graham said on the CBS programme "Face the Nation."

"You tweet and comment regarding ongoing criminal investigations at your own peril," he added.

On Sunday morning, Trump wrote on Twitter that he never asked former FBI Director James Comey to stop investigating Michael Flynn, the president's former national security adviser - a statement at odds with an account Comey himself has given.

That tweet followed one on Saturday in which Trump said he had fired Flynn because the former national security adviser had lied to the FBI.

Trump's attorney, John Dowd, said in an interview with Reuters that he had drafted the tweet and said putting it together had been a "mistake."

"I’ll take responsibility," Dowd said.

The series of tweets came after a dramatic turn of events on Friday in which Flynn pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI and agreed to cooperate with prosecutors delving into contacts between Trump's inner circle and Russia before he took office.

Legal experts and some Democratic lawmakers said if Trump knew Flynn lied to the FBI and then pressured Comey not to investigate him, that could bolster a charge of obstruction of justice.

Senator Dianne Feinstein, the top Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, said she believed the indictments in the investigation so far and Trump's "continual tweets" point toward an obstruction of justice case.

"I see it most importantly in what happened with the firing of Director Comey. And it is my belief that that is directly because he did not agree to lift the cloud of the Russia investigation. That's obstruction of justice," Feinstein said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

"The president knew he (Flynn) had lied to the FBI, which means that when he talked to the FBI director and asked him effectively drop this case, he knew that Flynn had committed a federal crime," Adam Schiff, ranking Democrat on the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, told the ABC programme "This Week."

The Russia matter has dogged Trump’s first year in office, and this weekend overshadowed his first big legislative win when the Senate approved a tax cuts bill.

Flynn was the first member of Trump’s administration to plead guilty to a crime uncovered by special counsel Robert Mueller’s wide-ranging investigation into Russian attempts to influence the 2016 U.S. election and potential collusion by Trump aides.

Russia has denied meddling in the election and Trump has said there was no collusion.

Comey, who had been investigating the Russia allegations, was fired by Trump in May. He told the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee in June he believed his dismissal was related to the Russia probe, and said Trump asked him to end the investigation of Flynn.

"I never asked Comey to stop investigating Flynn. Just more Fake News covering another Comey lie!" Trump said on Twitter on Sunday.

On CBS, Graham criticized Comey, saying he believes the former FBI director made some "very, very wrong" decisions during his tenure as FBI director. But Graham also said Trump should be careful about his tweets.

"I'd be careful if I were you, Mr. President. I'd watch this," Graham said.

(Reporting by David Morgan, Susan Cornwell in Washington and Karen Freifeld in New York; Writing by Roberta Rampton and Caren Bohan; Editing by Mary Milliken)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-12-04

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Trump's attorney, John Dowd, said in an interview with Reuters that he had drafted the tweet and said putting it together had been a "mistake."

If true (and the tone, grammar and spelling say otherwise), Dowd damaged his client's claim to innocence, potentially providing a "smoking gun" for obstruction of justice. If true, Trump should fire Dowd and/or refer Dowd for disbarment for irresponsible representation.

If false, Trump does nothing to Dowd. And Dowd now works for Trump pro bono?

His own words will be the thing that puts him in the dock. All Americans and the World should be in favor of an investigation of the Russia connection.  If true, it would mean Russia interfered in the US election and could have influenced the outcome. The legitimacy of the election then becomes in doubt and the complete Democratic process becomes suspect.

If Trump knew what was going on and became even a passive participant he is as guilty as his cabal that co-operated with the Russians and that means he is in violation of Federal law and must be removed from power. No one really cares what the press thinks or says- but everyone will care when Special Prosecutor Mueller goes to Trump and utters the words- 'You're under arrest- you (deleted)!!!.  However, I would expect Trump to resign before this and go out whimpering and whinging like a wounded rat. If not his Republican sycophants will turn on the Moron-in-Chief like rats running from a sinking ship as the impeachment process rolls on to conviction.

Of course I wake up every day, compose a tweet in language and phrasing that closely match the holder of the twitter account that I am going to post it on.

I am thinking it possible trump has some thai heritage? His lies are becoming as transparently false as a lot of what the locals here expect you to swallow. I am doubting my maid has just lost her fifth grandmother this year, for example. I could be wrong.......but......

I think the vast majority of people in the civilised world (whatever that means?) want Trump gone.  We are all holding our breath and crossing our fingers that the current investigation will do it.  That is the goal, remove Trump before he does any further damage.  If it also means that Pence cannot continue as well then that would be even better.  Trump's knee jerk tweets are just more evidence of his stupidity.

"I’ll take responsibility," Dowd said.

King Don always has a fall guy nearby, who is ever ready to fall on his sword for the circus huckster, deflector in chief. Of course he did not draft this tweet. Nobody drafts tweets for the juvenile in chief. Nobody can control him. Even Kelly has backed away, and become nearly invisible, after failing miserable at trying to control the very white house circus.

Keep going Don. You are shooting yourself in the foot daily, and many of us are gloating, and loving every minute of your abysmal leadership experiment failure. Keep going. Boot yourself right out of office.

44 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I think the vast majority of people in the civilised world (whatever that means?) want Trump gone.  We are all holding our breath and crossing our fingers that the current investigation will do it.  That is the goal, remove Trump before he does any further damage.  If it also means that Pence cannot continue as well then that would be even better.  Trump's knee jerk tweets are just more evidence of his stupidity.

I think it is safe to say, that is Trump is found to be in charge of providing with Russian espionage, against the Clinton campaign, it will implicate both him and Mike the Petty. So, Ryan would end up president. I am not a Ryan fan, but I will take him any day of the week over Trump or Pence. As a matter of fact, I would take Justin Bieber, Brittany Spears, Shai Labeouf, or even the fabulosly ignorant Jerry Jones over either of these two imbeciles. 

21 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I think it is safe to say, that is Trump is found to be in charge of providing with Russian espionage, against the Clinton campaign, it will implicate both him and Mike the Petty. So, Ryan would end up president. I am not a Ryan fan, but I will take him any day of the week over Trump or Pence. As a matter of fact, I would take Justin Bieber, Brittany Spears, Shai Labeouf, or even the fabulosly ignorant Jerry Jones over either of these two imbeciles. 

Between Pence and Ryan, they're both very bad but in different ways. Ryan is obsessed with totally dismantling all the new deal social contract and everything that came after. He's an ideological extremist on that point. He's against social security, Medicare, and Medicaid even existing. Of course you can't run on that, but you can starve those programs out and get to the same place.

I don't see Pence as nearly that extremist on those issues. He's obsessed with his Christ centered thing. President Theocrat.

Tough choice of poisons for sure. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Between Pence and Ryan, they're both very bad but in different ways. Ryan is obsessed with totally dismantling all the new deal social contract and everything that came after. He's an ideological extremist on that point. He's against social security, Medicare, and Medicaid even existing. Of course you can't run on that, but you can starve those programs out and get to the same place.

I don't see Pence as nearly that extremist on those issues. He's obsessed with his Christ centered thing. President Theocrat.

Tough choice of poisons for sure. 

Either Pence or Ryan would enjoy greater support (I think) from the GOP, which could make passing legislation easier, and both know how to make the political machine work, as opposed to Trump. So possibly they could get more harm done, if in different ways. If Trump (and possibly Pence as well) is out, the replacement POTUS term in office won't be that long, but perhaps long enough for voters to experience some consequences of Trump/GOP legislation.

Whether what Dowd said, (that he drafted the tweet) is true or not, he is now a party to obstruction of justice.   Of course he didn't draft that ridiculous tweet.  What lawyer uses the word 'pled' instead of 'pleaded' ?   and the tweet has Trump written all over it, and it's from Trump's personal account, and starts with the word 'I' .

It also craps on the principle of 'lawyer / client privilege'

Dowd will either be fired or have to recuse himself.  He's in the spider's net.  He's a stupid man to have taken the fall for Trump's ridiculous self-incriminating tweet.

It brings to mind Trump's famous utterance; "I always hire the best people."  :passifier:

13 hours ago, Thaidream said:

His own words will be the thing that puts him in the dock. All Americans and the World should be in favor of an investigation of the Russia connection.  If true, it would mean Russia interfered in the US election and could have influenced the outcome. The legitimacy of the election then becomes in doubt and the complete Democratic process becomes suspect.

If Trump knew what was going on and became even a passive participant he is as guilty as his cabal that co-operated with the Russians and that means he is in violation of Federal law and must be removed from power. No one really cares what the press thinks or says- but everyone will care when Special Prosecutor Mueller goes to Trump and utters the words- 'You're under arrest- you (deleted)!!!.  However, I would expect Trump to resign before this and go out whimpering and whinging like a wounded rat. If not his Republican sycophants will turn on the Moron-in-Chief like rats running from a sinking ship as the impeachment process rolls on to conviction.

You said "If Trump knew what was going on and became even a passive participant he is as guilty as his cabal that co-operated with the Russians and that means he is in violation of Federal law and must be removed from power". 

President Trump is the President he is afforded special powers and authority  by the US Constitution Article 2. He has the authority to fire Comey,to instruct the DOJ who is to be  or not to be investigated.

During the U N resolution on Israel in December of 2016, PT sent the NSA to talk to other countries and Russia about stopping a lame duck approach by Obama to stop the Israel settlements vote.No one knows why Flynn misinformed the FBI investigator's.It was completely lawful to try to influence foreign policy .  

No President has ever been charged for legally exercising their constitutional authority. To be charged and "convicted" of Obstruction of Justice the President must do something  "illegal" such as (hush money bribes,telling people to lie or destroying evidence).I do think that the democrats will try to impeach the President though,but they will fall short of the majority necessary for removal.

*Despite the liberals demonizing rhetoric and talking impeachment well before he was elected. **Despite his deep state opposition during the  transition period with Obama hold over's . 

President Trump hasn't  violated any federal law despite what many people read in the news.

http://www.newsweek.com/president-donald-trump-impeachment-paper-brookings-institution-681546

**http://www.unc.edu/depts/diplomat/item/2017/0106/oped/cotter_transition.html

http://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/362948-why-did-flynn-lie-and-why-did-mueller-charge-him-with-lying

President Trump has the freedom of speech just like anyone else. Sometimes I don't agree with his tweets,but they are his preference for communicating to his constituents  . The tweets are intentionally used to bypass the MSM and  can't be edited out and they will get to his base.  

President Trump will be re elected in 2020 unless the republicans can come up with a better alternative.The GOP's past political  policies have changed forever .For the establishment to win the Presidency they will need to assimilate to what American's want and that would be many of the same policies as PT.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/447509/trump-changes-republican-politics-may-remodel-party

Edited by riclag

I thought I was the dreamer until I read the last post-  Trump has  no special powers that allows him to lie to either the FBI or the Special Prosecutor.  He has no  special powers to allow a foreign government, ala Russia, to influence the American election thus changing the vote outcome so he can become President

He can tweet to his heart's content and I would encourage him to do so as his own words will eventually be his undoing as he does not have the sense to know when to keep quiet.

Getting re-elected in 2020?  There is a greater chance of an alien invasion of Earth.  If he survives his Presidency until 2020- he will probably face one or tow of the people who could have defeated him had they been allowed to run in 2016- Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren.

Both of these people would actually make America great again because their policies are progressive and will redistribute wealth away from the 1% and return that wealth to the middle class and poor from which people like Tump have stolen it. In addition, they will have behind them a Democratic Congress as the current Republican cabal will be rejected for their destructive policies which would turn America into a banana republic.

All of this will happen because American voters have awakened and will come out in force to banish Trump and his Republican sycophants to the scrapheap of History.  Good riddance to tyrants and their boot lickers.

7 hours ago, riclag said:

You said "If Trump knew what was going on and became even a passive participant he is as guilty as his cabal that co-operated with the Russians and that means he is in violation of Federal law and must be removed from power". 

President Trump is the President he is afforded special powers and authority  by the US Constitution Article 2. He has the authority to fire Comey,to instruct the DOJ who is to be  or not to be investigated.

During the U N resolution on Israel in December of 2016, PT sent the NSA to talk to other countries and Russia about stopping a lame duck approach by Obama to stop the Israel settlements vote.No one knows why Flynn misinformed the FBI investigator's.It was completely lawful to try to influence foreign policy .  

No President has ever been charged for legally exercising their constitutional authority. To be charged and "convicted" of Obstruction of Justice the President must do something  "illegal" such as (hush money bribes,telling people to lie or destroying evidence).I do think that the democrats will try to impeach the President though,but they will fall short of the majority necessary for removal.

*Despite the liberals demonizing rhetoric and talking impeachment well before he was elected. **Despite his deep state opposition during the  transition period with Obama hold over's . 

President Trump hasn't  violated any federal law despite what many people read in the news.

http://www.newsweek.com/president-donald-trump-impeachment-paper-brookings-institution-681546

**http://www.unc.edu/depts/diplomat/item/2017/0106/oped/cotter_transition.html

http://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/362948-why-did-flynn-lie-and-why-did-mueller-charge-him-with-lying

President Trump has the freedom of speech just like anyone else. Sometimes I don't agree with his tweets,but they are his preference for communicating to his constituents  . The tweets are intentionally used to bypass the MSM and  can't be edited out and they will get to his base.  

President Trump will be re elected in 2020 unless the republicans can come up with a better alternative.The GOP's past political  policies have changed forever .For the establishment to win the Presidency they will need to assimilate to what American's want and that would be many of the same policies as PT.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/447509/trump-changes-republican-politics-may-remodel-party

Trump does not have special powers when it comes to obstruction of justice. If found guilty of this, he's toast.

He was NOT president when communicating with the Russian government. As you know, that's a violation of the Logan Act. An obscure law, but still a law.

7 hours ago, riclag said:

He has the authority .... to instruct the DOJ who is to be  or not to be investigated.

Apparently, Trump has a different understanding, ie., with regard to send the Justice Department and FBI after former rival Hillary Clinton:

“But you know the saddest thing is that because I’m the president of the United States, I am not supposed to be involved with the Justice Department. I’m not supposed to be involved with the FBI. I’m not supposed to be doing the kind of things that I would love to be doing. And I’m very frustrated by it.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-fbi-hillary-clinton_us_59fbf0ace4b0b0c7fa395142

18 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Trump does not have special powers when it comes to obstruction of justice. If found guilty of this, he's toast.

He was NOT president when communicating with the Russian government. As you know, that's a violation of the Logan Act. An obscure law, but still a law.

Correct, he must show corruption ! No corruption No obstruction , so now your shooting for the  OJ.

Did you have time to read the link on transition? You don't have to be President to communicate with a foreign country ,President elect is good enough.

Now you mention the Act that every Congressmen , Senator and ex president commit by visiting ,meeting and conversing with  foreign officials  including the previous administration's leader.

http://www.unc.edu/depts/diplomat/item/2017/0106/oped/cotter_transition.html

18 minutes ago, riclag said:

Just a blog post, nothing to see here people other than one man's opinion..........

But legal expert extraordinaire Dowd has doubled down on his assertions:

But Trump’s personal lawyer John Dowd sought to excuse the president’s tweet in part by telling Axios and NBC News on Monday that the “president cannot obstruct justice because he is the chief law enforcement officer under [the Constitution’s Article II] and has every right to express his view of any case.”

source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/a-bold-new-legal-defense-for-trump-presidents-cannot-obstruct-justice/2017/12/04/b95cb262-d91c-11e7-a841-2066faf731ef_story.html?utm_term=.f4a9ec192217

Bury your client with false hope and lousy legal interpretation 

Edited by Langsuan Man

10 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Just a blog post, nothing to see here people other than one man's opinion..........

But legal expert extraordinaire Dowd has doubled down on his assertions:

Bury your client with false hope and lousy legal interpretation 

Here you go .Here's one by the Congressional Research Service.Every incoming administration transition team talks to foreign countries on policy( routine diplomacy)  before the President is sworn in.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL34722.pdf

Edited by riclag

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

thought I was the dreamer until I read the last post-  Trump has  no special powers that allows him to lie to either the FBI or the Special Prosecutor.  He has no  special powers to allow a foreign government, ala Russia, to influence the American election thus changing the vote outcome so he can become President

Where is the evidence that PT is lying?Who' s talking about special powers to talk to Russia.Get the fact's right from my original post. Read the US Constitution,Article 2. 

Back up your statement with credible link's and sources!

I don't have to back up my opinion with anything- it is up to you to prove me wrong but you can't do it because you know damn well Trump is trying to evade responsibility because his cabal attempted to partner with a foreign government to get him elected and then attempt to use his power during the transition to promise favorable treatment to Russia.  It is a sad commentary when people are willing to sell their soul to protect someone as despicable as Trump.  

If the shoe fits-wear it.

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

Apparently, Trump has a different understanding, ie., with regard to send the Justice Department and FBI after former rival Hillary Clinton:

“But you know the saddest thing is that because I’m the president of the United States, I am not supposed to be involved with the Justice Department. I’m not supposed to be involved with the FBI. I’m not supposed to be doing the kind of things that I would love to be doing. And I’m very frustrated by it.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-fbi-hillary-clinton_us_59fbf0ace4b0b0c7fa395142

Read The US Constitution Article 2. It explains a President's authority .What do you think would happen if he got involved with the DOJ and FBI. 

You forgot the  context of your HP

PT said in the interview" I'll be honest, I'm very unhappy with it, that the Justice Department isn't going -- now maybe they are, but you know as president, and I think you understand this, as a president you are not supposed to be involved in that process but hopefully they are doing something.

1 hour ago, riclag said:

Here you go .Here's one by the Congressional Research Service.Every incoming administration transition team talks to foreign countries on policy( routine diplomacy)  before the President is sworn in.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL34722.pdf

Where exactly is this issue addressed in the paper you cite? I can only find a perfunctory reference to it in the introduction. It certainly wouldn't condone secret  or undisclosed meetings with representatives of other nations. I'm guessing I won't be hearing back from you on this one.  Because there's nothing in this paper to support your contention. Maybe you were hoping that nobody would actually look at it?

40 minutes ago, riclag said:

Where is the evidence that PT is lying?Who' s talking about special powers to talk to Russia.Get the fact's right from my original post. Read the US Constitution,Article 2. 

Back up your statement with credible link's and sources!

Seriously?:cheesy:

https://www.salon.com/2017/11/17/trump-lies-9-times-a-day-on-average-lately_partner/

As of 3am Eastern Standard Time on Tuesday, Donald Trump has told 1,628 lies since taking office. We know this because the Washington Post has been diligently watching the numbers, keeping tabs on Trump’s huge fibs and falsehoods. Over the 298 days since his inauguration, Trump has told an average of 5.5 lies every single day of the week, Monday to Sunday.

17 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I don't have to back up my opinion with anything- it is up to you to prove me wrong but you can't do it because you know damn well Trump is trying to evade responsibility because his cabal attempted to partner with a foreign government to get him elected and then attempt to use his power during the transition to promise favorable treatment to Russia.  It is a sad commentary when people are willing to sell their soul to protect someone as despicable as Trump.  

If the shoe fits-wear it.

His cabal were arrested for other crimes, non collusion crimes.His involvement with Russia during the transition was to influence Russia and other countries to not vote for Obama's lame duck UN resolution vote on Israel settlement's .I'm not selling my soul.I have a opinion