Thaksin Gives Live Interview To CNN

george

I think it's a losing proposition. He burns bridges to all negotiations and he can't go to war with junta.

He can score brownies with international community only by attacking and discrediting the interim government and that ruins his chances of a peaceful return. If he blows his fuses, they'll file treason or lese majeste charges against him, then he'd be truly finished. If Thailand ratifies ICJ and files drug war charges in the Hague he'll lose even international audience.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaksin, who landed in Tokyo Thursday (Jan 18) night on a private visit, told Japan's Nishinippon Shimbun daily that Thailand had lost the trust of the international community because of the Sept 19 coup d'etat.

As a result, he said, the current military-installed government is not going to be well received internationally."The respect of the rule of law and the justice system (by the international community)" is at stake, Thaksin was quoted as saying.

"What international society worries about is that if the government under a coup d'etat abolishes the Constitution, the rule of law will not be observed."

While most of us agree Thaksin was a crook, I don't think many of us disagree with his words regarding the present un-elected govt.

I think the editorial in today's Post sums it up very well:

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont and CNS chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin should realise one thing: Mr Thaksin has no countries backing him since his government was toppled by the military. The international community strongly protested against the coup but none called for the reinstatement of the Thaksin administration. Countries with loud voices like the United States and the European Union simply asked that there be no delay in new general elections and a return to democracy.

Full editorial here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/24Jan2007_news22.php

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Thaksin is attempting to promulgate is that the international community won't even wait until the established coup timelines are completed... which I think is quite erroneous as no viable alternatives exist that are workable. I don't see them calling for the outster of the coup and the return of Thaksin... which is something that Thaksin seems to be advocating.

Now, if the timelines are not adhered to... the international community will begin grumbling.

Edited by sriracha john

Thaksin, who landed in Tokyo Thursday (Jan 18) night on a private visit, told Japan's Nishinippon Shimbun daily that Thailand had lost the trust of the international community because of the Sept 19 coup d'etat.

As a result, he said, the current military-installed government is not going to be well received internationally."The respect of the rule of law and the justice system (by the international community)" is at stake, Thaksin was quoted as saying.

"What international society worries about is that if the government under a coup d'etat abolishes the Constitution, the rule of law will not be observed."

While most of us agree Thaksin was a crook, I don't think many of us disagree with his words regarding the present un-elected govt.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont and CNS chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin should realise one thing: Mr Thaksin has no countries backing him since his government was toppled by the military. The international community strongly protested against the coup but none called for the reinstatement of the Thaksin administration. Countries with loud voices like the United States and the European Union simply asked that there be no delay in new general elections and a return to democracy.

Full editorial here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/24Jan2007_news22.php

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Thaksin is attempting to promulgate is that the international community won't even wait until the established coup timelines are completed... which I think is quite erroneous as no viable alternatives exist that are workable. I don't see them calling for the outster of the coup and the return of Thaksin... which is something that Thaksin seems to be advocating.

Now, if the timelines are not adhered to... the international community will begin grumbling.

Very good point, however Thaksin’s arrogance will not allow him to accept that. He has always had his way.

could it be because the Thaksin administration was already an interim government awaiting elections? the logical demand from the international community would then be to condemn the coup and call for resumption of the democratic process, which is what they did. nice try to the Post editiorial though, always seeking new ways to build up on the mountain of false logic on the thaksin issue. :o

Singapore is a member of Asean bound by treaties and code of conduct, Japan is not. Singapore has promised not to offend Thais over Thaksin, Japand hasn't. Singapore allowed the meeting with Deputy PM, Japan made sure no officials met Thaksin.

I still can't agree with you on this point. He met an old mate who happened to be Deputy PM. The visit was not in any official capacity.

It reminds me of something that happened in my industry a while back. Somebody left a company to join a rival firm. The first company tried to bring out an injunction preventing the guy in question from making contact with his former clients. The problem was that some of his clients were also mates, and the injunction was thrown out on the basis that nobody can tell you to stop seeing friends, even if they also happen to be potential customers. Seems a fairly similar situation to the Singapore issue.

I am not aware of any ASEAN treaty or code of conduct that binds Singapore to deny a citizen of one ASEAN nation access to a citizen of another in a situation like this. Could you cite a source please?

The irony in all this of course is that it is the Thai junta's reaction which has elevated the story to a level above that which it deserved, rather than the actual meeting itself. Had the government just let it slide by, and not threatened direct censorship with the CNN interview too, it would already have been forgotten.

could it be because the Thaksin administration was already an interim government awaiting elections? the logical demand from the international community would then be to condemn the coup and call for resumption of the democratic process, which is what they did. nice try to the Post editiorial though, always seeking new ways to build up on the mountain of false logic on the thaksin issue. :o

To be honest I dont think the interantional community care how elections come as long as they do come. What will interest them is that stability is maintained and that elections do happen, and that former relationships and agreements are stuck to. Reading exactly what is meant by a purposley vaguely worded diplomatic statement written by skilled diplomats about a quick return to democracy is impossible. Most of the time these kind of statements are meant to be interpreted differently by different people.

According to a South China Morning Post report, Thaksin met with lobbyists from Barbour Griffith and Rogers (BGR) in Hong Kong.

BGR describes itself on its website as America's ''leading Republican government affairs and consulting firm'' and has close ties with the Bush administration.

Among the BGR team that met Thaksin was Stephen Rademaker, the former US assistant secretary of state for international security.

Also present was Ed Rogers, the firm's co-founder and previously a staffer in the White House of former presidents Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

The move was expected to further anger the military-installed government.

---------------------------------------------------

Thaksin wants slate to be wiped clean if he is to return home

Democrat Party spokesman Ong-art Klampaiboon reads out a statement calling for the government to go on the offensive against ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Thaksin Shinawatra's legal adviser said that if the former prime minister returned to Thailand, he would seek a meeting with the government and Council for National Security so that he would not be forced to pay for "his old debts".

Noppadon Pattama was speaking after Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said on Saturday that Thaksin could return home if he promised to cease all political activities.

post-27080-1169609909.jpg

Thaksin's chief lawyer Noppadon Pattama

He denied that Thaksin hired US-based lobbying company Barbour, Griffith & Rogers (BGR) to counter the government. He said Thaksin just wanted the company to check information disseminated overseas about the situation after the September 19 coup.

"He certainly did not hire this company to fight against the government because this company does not fight against any government and does not side with any government," Noppadon said.

He denied that BGR contacted CNN to interview Thaksin in Singapore on January 15, saying that CNN contacted him to ask Thaksin for an interview. He said Thaksin will give interviews in Japan to three or four media and will talk about Thailand in a positive light.

Noppadon declined to clarify what Thaksin meant when he told CNN that if the government wanted reconciliation, it must issue an amnesty.

After his stay in Japan, Thaksin will go to China, other Asian countries and the Middle East to meet friends and have a vacation, he added.

Noppadon defended himself against media comments that he was not loyal to the monarchy even though he received a royal scholarship to study abroad. "I am loyal to every royal member but I am a lawyer and I give legal advice," he said.

Democrat Party spokesman Ongart Klampaiboon suggested that the government go on the offensive to deal with the problems regarding Thaksin. He said Thaksin was declaring psychological war to discredit the government.

post-27080-1169609886_thumb.jpg

Democrat Party spokesman Ongart Klampaiboon

"The government must come up with a strategy and plan to solve the problem efficiently and systematically," he said.

Democrat Party deputy leader Alongkorn Pollabutr said there were irregularities regarding Thaksin hiring the lobbying company. He said BGR did not reveal that Thaksin was its client and did not indicate the objective of his hiring as required by law.

post-27080-1169610804.jpg

Democrat Party deputy leader Alongkorn Pollabutr

"I suspect that Thaksin hired the company through a proxy and the company has been lobbying the government, Congress and the US media so that Thaksin can return to Thailand," he said.

post-27080-1169609945_thumb.jpg

( guidance and council )

http://sopr.senate.gov/cgi-win/m_opr_viewe...A&CLIQUAL==

post-27080-1169609996_thumb.jpg

( Thaksin’s interest in Washington DC and abroad )

Alongkorn said he will launch his new book about alleged corruption in 34 projects during the Thaksin government at the end of the month.

THE NATION

Thaksin Shinawatra has signed up a firm of American political lobbyists to seek support in Washington.

Barbour Griffith & Rogers, LLC

BGR Founded in 1991, the firm brings together some of the

most accomplished public policy advocates in America. BGR’s lobbyists have a diverse range of backgrounds, having served in the White House, Congress, in senior-level positions in executive agencies, gubernatorial, congressional, and presidential campaigns. In these roles, they gained practical experience creating

and implementing public policy at both the domestic and international level.

BGR’s reputation in Washington and international capitals means decision-makers, journalists and business leaders often turn to the firm’s professionals to ask for

their insight regarding policy development, politics and international issues.

BGR clients include Fortune 500 companies, international governments,

trade associations, non-profits, academic institutions, hospitals, coalitions,

state and local governments.

http://www.bgrdc.com/

1. Robert Blackwill

( Deputy Asst. to President / Deputy National Security advisor )

2. Walker Roberts

( Deputy Chief of Staff, House Int’l Relations Comm. )

I still can't agree with you on this point. He met an old mate who happened to be Deputy PM. The visit was not in any official capacity.

I am not aware of any ASEAN treaty or code of conduct that binds Singapore to deny a citizen of one ASEAN nation access to a citizen of another in a situation like this. Could you cite a source please?

Meerakat, foreign ministries operate under an unwritten, but well known and followed code of ethics. A request was made by Thailand to Singapore that this meeting not take place. It doesn't matter the nature of the meeting. The fact that the request was made is enough in the diplomatic world. China and Japan understood this and honored Thailand's request. Singapore understood this, but didn't care (let's face it, relations were already strained). Thailand, had to respond. As for a source, Meerakat, the next time you are with a member of your country's foreign ministry, ask that person.

Meerakat, foreign ministries operate under an unwritten, but well known and followed code of ethics. A request was made by Thailand to Singapore that this meeting not take place. It doesn't matter the nature of the meeting. The fact that the request was made is enough in the diplomatic world. China and Japan understood this and honored Thailand's request. Singapore understood this, but didn't care (let's face it, relations were already strained). Thailand, had to respond. As for a source, Meerakat, the next time you are with a member of your country's foreign ministry, ask that person.

The instances with China and Japan are totally different - he has never (AFAIK) stated that he had pre-existing personal relationships with any government officials there. Thaksin wasn't seeing the Singapore Deputy PM, he was seeing his old friend who happened to be Deputy PM. For a government to try and stop a subject seeing a friend who is a subject of a foreign government is just wrong. Such duality between personal and professional roles is nothing new, and indeed Singapore's press-release points to such a duality.

Had he been meeting the guy in his capacity as Deputy PM then it might be a different matter. Had he still been in possession of a diplomatic passport it might be a different matter. Had he been charged with any offences it might have been a different mater. None of these things were true, and as such, again as alluded to in the Singapore press-release, Thailand was trying to interfere in the sovereignty of a foreign nation.

As much as I want to see Thaksin up before the judge if the evidence warrants it, and as much as I despise the Singapore government's domestic modus operandi, I still don't see how this pathetic diplomatic hair-pulling does the credibility of the junta any good. Oh, apart from pandering to the uneducated masses who think that Singapore is trying to economically take over Thailand.

The instances with China and Japan are totally different - he has never (AFAIK) stated that he had pre-existing personal relationships with any government officials there. Thaksin wasn't seeing the Singapore Deputy PM, he was seeing his old friend who happened to be Deputy PM. For a government to try and stop a subject seeing a friend who is a subject of a foreign government is just wrong. Such duality between personal and professional roles is nothing new, and indeed Singapore's press-release points to such a duality.

Had he been meeting the guy in his capacity as Deputy PM then it might be a different matter. Had he still been in possession of a diplomatic passport it might be a different matter. Had he been charged with any offences it might have been a different mater. None of these things were true, and as such, again as alluded to in the Singapore press-release, Thailand was trying to interfere in the sovereignty of a foreign nation.

As much as I want to see Thaksin up before the judge if the evidence warrants it, and as much as I despise the Singapore government's domestic modus operandi, I still don't see how this pathetic diplomatic hair-pulling does the credibility of the junta any good. Oh, apart from pandering to the uneducated masses who think that Singapore is trying to economically take over Thailand.

Thinking as a normal citizen, I can't argue with your logic, but this is an issue between governments and not us normal citizens. There is a diplomatic protocol that governments follow in these matters. This clearly was a violation of their code of ethics. The Singaporean government official knew full well that he could turn the meeting down and then have a long phone conversation with Thaksin, and no international face would have been lost.

On this code of ethics, remember the furor from the diplomatic community in the way Thaksin pushed for international support for Dr. Surakiat? What Thaksin did didn't seem all that bad to me, but it was a scandal in the diplomatic community. Similar situation here. It is hard for us to understand why two old friends can't get together, but in the diplomatic community they, publicly, operate under different rules than we do.

If this rabid hatred all boils down to envy, you should know that Khun Thaksin is not Thailand's richest man.

Now you move into some dangerous territory... :o

That's right Barney. Lame speculation is a dark and lonely tunnel.

If this rabid hatred all boils down to envy, you should know that Khun Thaksin is not Thailand's richest man.

Now you move into some dangerous territory... :o

That's right Barney. Lame speculation is a dark and lonely tunnel.

Barney is right... at least on paper.

According to Forbes he comes in at number 4 actually behind Khun Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi (Whisky), Khun Chaleo Yoovidhya (Red Bull) and Khun Dhanin Chearavanont (CP).

If I'm correct, none of whom have 2 billion US dollars?

Actually as of 2006 Khun Charoen is listed as having $3.2 billion, Khun Chaleo $2.5 billion and Khun Dhanin plus family as having $2.4 billion.

oh ok, I appreciate the specifics.

It's a shame that Thaksin never completed his remaining years in office. Then, he'd be able to show those guys a thing or two about what real money is.