DIY Working in and around own house

8 hours ago, bandito said:

Wrong, You're working and on your own property or not makes no difference.

You can get an exemption at the relevant department and have to state what you will do (on your property)and how long time it will take and you will get a permit for this. I settled here in 1976 and the Law was already in place that time.

That said, I don't nobody who ever did apply.

Me? I just do what I want to do, is it painting or any other thing in full view.:shock1:

The law prevents work (without permission) in terms of 'means of earning a living', 'employment'. There is no law against a foreigner maintaining their own home, and there is no permit that you can apply for to get permission to carry out maintenance on your own home. 

The Alien Employment Act wasn't enacted until 1978. And it was enacted to control alien employment, not alien DIY at home!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

That is my opinion also. The literal meaning of the law would make almost everything illegal, but many things are tolerated.

Immigration law makes it clear that work (meaning; means of earning a living, employment) needs permission. And only a few activities are exempt from needing permission.

Immigration law does not make DIY around the home illegal.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Immigration law makes it clear that work (meaning; means of earning a living, employment) needs permission. And only a few activities are exempt from needing permission.

Immigration law does not make DIY around the home illegal.

You still keep saying this " means of earning a living" and you are still wrong.

Earning a salary, stipend or nothing has no bearing on the definition of "work".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pearciderman said:

You still keep saying this " means of earning a living" and you are still wrong.

I'm not wrong. I am making the distinction between 'working' as a means of earning a living and 'working' as exerting effort, because people keep promoting the notion that any physical effort (work) is prohibited. The Immigration Act is stopping people from working which 99.99% of the worlds working population do to earn a living. It is not stopping people working at DIY.

5 hours ago, pearciderman said:

Earning a salary, stipend or nothing has no bearing on the definition of "work".

Only within the Alien Employment Act, which only affects employees. I have explained why they have such a broad definition to include unpaid and or voluntary work, which is to prevent employers employing someone without a salary to avoid the need for permission (WP).

The Immigration Act separates employed people (governed by the Employment Act) from others such as Digital Nomads and other remote workers. People working in Thailand (making a living), but not employed in Thailand, cannot work in Thailand without permission. Someone maintaining a website without commercial gain would not be considered as working, whereas, someone earning an income from maintaining a website would.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1