Factory bumpers vs. aftermarket

macster44

I have on my 2001 Toyota Tiger Pickup truck....bumpers that I added myself.

the rear is two sections of steel pipe painted silver. they run the width of the vehicle and are to discourage those that like to follow closely from behind.

I also have the same on the front they are painted black. My thai spouse is now telling me that the vehicle cannot have  anything but factory bumpers or no bumper at all is ok,

and I will most likely get fined if the police stop me at a checkpoint if I don't remove them.  They have been on the vehicle for at least 10 years without any attention from the police.

Are there are new rules for vehicles now or new enforcement for previously existing regulations ?   thanks mac

I have an ARB type on one vehicle (suv) + an enhanced front bumper on our other suv.....

Both have heavy boxed & welded hitch receivers at the rear....

So far no problems encountered....

I'm a big fan of keeping our/my onboard occupants safe....

Just did one annual the other day & no notice or mention made.....

IF you really want to follow the law it's illegal to modify your car in Thailand unless you put any modifications in your car registration booklet (except for exhaust systems these are illegal). In the real world, the police cares much more about your tax sticker than anything else.

Yes that is true, I found out when I went to renew my tax sticker/registration and insurance this past April.  There has been a cap

on the bed of the truck since I bought it  used in 2002. This year they wanted either an extra B2000 or take the cap off.

Still not sure why now they wanted more money or did they want the cap added to the book and that cost B 2000 ?

Ahhh the regulations are a hard one to decipher as it really depends on who you ask in the govt and whether they give 

you an erroneous answer (right or wrong) and later being at the checkpoint with the police wanting to write you a ticket you

or take an on the spot donation in lieu of any paperwork.

I think they're looking for the bed caps as they might possibly conceal commercial enterprises....

A buddy of mine bought a truck with a topper &  went through for 3 years like that....Then they noticed and the same thing as happened to you.....He opted to let then remove it over paying the extra = hello rock - meet hard spot...

Archived