Superpoll: US Nationals most happy in Thailand and foreigners think Prayut is doing better than the Thais

rooster59

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Bobobirdiebuddy said:

It doesn't sound too far off base.  It is an easy place to live - safe, cheap (not like it used to be but mai pen arai), good food, stable government, generally nice folks, lots of fun distractions.  As for Prayuth, I've been here for 9 or 10 Prime Ministers and 2 military coups and Prayuth seems OK.  Sure, sure you can scream "junta! junta!" but really, things are a whole lot better than the Red Shirt terror or, a couple of years later, the standoff between the Reds and Yellows.  And honestly, it does not affect our ex-pat lives, does it.   No, it doesn't.

I've seen Pm's and coups and Prayut is just  rehash of a useless bunch of spiffs and thats what i don't like about him, he had the chance to change Thailand,  but took the military route of carrot and stick approach, hasn't won many hearts, not even with the Hi-So.  

7 minutes ago, chainarong said:

I've seen Pm's and coups and Prayut is just  rehash of a useless bunch of spiffs and thats what i don't like about him, he had the chance to change Thailand,  but took the military route of carrot and stick approach, hasn't won many hearts, not even with the Hi-So.  

And you really think its possible to change the momentum of an entire country in 3 years?

Thats one of the most naive posts I have read.

"

Rest from work         52.3%
Tourism                     46.8%
Visiting friends          13.1%
Trade Shows             11.1%
Seminars                     8.9%
Visiting relatives          8.1%

Another 10.5% said they were in Thailand for meetings, business, governmental business among other things."

Should they not add up to 100%? What does rest from work mean? Holiday or retired?  So no one is living  or working there? 

4 hours ago, Benroon said:

It doesn't matter what country the Brits  are in they'll find something to whinge about !! 

But that is the main way they manage to effect change for the better.  When bad service goes unchallenged or is not criticized, the bad service never improves. That seems to be one of the problems in Thailand, as most people do not like to complain, even when they have every reason to do so. 

4 hours ago, pattayadon said:

Does introspect mean anything to you?

Does introspect mean forgiving yourself for...

A - Choosing a retirement location you hate, and

B - Spending them rest of your life moaning, and

C - Wondering why folks avoid you like the pox?

2 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Count me with the happy Americans here. Yes, there are problems here, and traffic safety is a major detraction from the allure of LOS.

The government is a junta, but in my country The Orange Raccoon is turning it into a fascist state as quickly as possible. And given how well past presidents and congress has pursued the same goal, The Cheeto In Chief doesn't have far to go.

While Prayut might aspire to such a level of control of his citizens, it will be decades before Thailand has the funding, infrastructure, or technical expertise to pull this off. I'll be ashes by then, or perhaps dead on a highway somewhere in Thailand after an 8 year-old on a motorbike puts me down for good.

At any rate, what I disliked about my home country has gotten worse, and the things that were good or at least acceptable are going in the wrong direction.

So here I am and here I will stay.

Color me satisfied and content in LOS.

You whiners just keep on with your constant criticism if it pulls your chain every day.

Maybe you've been in Thailand too long to appreciate how much better it is than the martial law, tax-'em-till-they-bleed surveillance states you came from.

As many have said before, and it bears repeating:

If you don't like it here then go the hell home. It just leaves more for the rest of us here. Let me know and I'll help you pack just to get rid of you.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

By the way, the American beauties in the story picture do absolutely nothing for me anymore. I much prefer the Thai women's exotic looks myself.

As for temperament, hey, women are the same round the world.  Live with it or give it up. The choice is yours.

Well said but draining the swamp and a booming economy with un employment falling the Don is doing something right.

16 hours ago, thedivezone said:

Just a wild guess . . . 

Maybe the the reason americans are happiest holydaying under a totalitarian, dictatorial regime is because it makes them feel at home.

Wasn't Trump voted in???? or another poor loser 

11 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

I've been here over 20 years to and this is a lot of rubbish, doesn't effect ex-pats,? must live in the middle of nowhere and in a cocoon. The poll is also a lot of rubbish, guess all holiday makers who have not got a clue.

Yet another poster who hints his life has been badly affected by the present government.  How about telling us what has affected you so badly?  Leave the Missus,kids and family out of it. 

How has it affected YOU? 

What are you planning to do about it? Whining on an internet forum is not an acceptable answer. 

Edited by tryasimight

On 12/9/2017 at 2:41 PM, Orton Rd said:

The only poll that counts is a fair general election, bring it on

79.1%    The safety of the food !  lol, and with the recent publicity of Pesticides being widely used ! beggars belief.

5 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

But that is the main way they manage to effect change for the better.  When bad service goes unchallenged or is not criticized, the bad service never improves. That seems to be one of the problems in Thailand, as most people do not like to complain, even when they have every reason to do so. 

It might be time to consider a username change or were you trying to be ironic?

1 hour ago, Acemaker said:

79.1%    The safety of the food !  lol, and with the recent publicity of Pesticides being widely used ! beggars belief.

Must be the “glass half empty type”. Used to be pesticide residue AND formaldahyde.

Conditions are improving.

3 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Yet another poster who hints his life has been badly affected by the present government.  How about telling us what has affected you so badly?  Leave the Missus,kids and family out of it. 

How has it affected YOU? 

What are you planning to do about it? Whining on an internet forum is not an acceptable answer. 

Yet another poster who has not made any such hint that his life has been 'badly' affected by the junta. What do you define as 'badly' to begin with?

Leave your wife, kids and family out of it? How could one possibly do that if one has any love and respect for them? What a ridiculous and contemptible proviso!

Incredible as it may seem to the likes of yourself, some of us care about the fates and fortunes of others, even those we may well never meet. We will stick with them, not their jailers and tormentors.

2 hours ago, baboon said:

Yet another poster who has not made any such hint that his life has been 'badly' affected by the junta. What do you define as 'badly' to begin with?

Leave your wife, kids and family out of it? How could one possibly do that if one has any love and respect for them? What a ridiculous and contemptible proviso!

Incredible as it may seem to the likes of yourself, some of us care about the fates and fortunes of others, even those we may well never meet. We will stick with them, not their jailers and tormentors.

So it hasn't affected you in any material way...... Next! 

1 hour ago, tryasimight said:

So it hasn't affected you in any material way...... Next! 

First it is 'badly', now 'in any material way'. That you have to reword the question in order for it it fit in with a preordained conclusion says it all about your supposed 'argument'. Next! 

On 12/9/2017 at 8:11 PM, AGareth2 said:

obviously don't read TVF

Maybe one reason they are happier. This TVF has a group of some great guys that help us all with honest information. Unfortunately  it also has a larger group of miserable people who never accomplished anything in life —yet they are the experts of everything. And they usually claim to live here but hate everything about Thai people and Thailand. Weird weird weird. 

Edited by Wake Up

1 minute ago, Wake Up said:

Maybe one reason they are happier. This TVF has a group of some great guys that help us all with honest information. Unfortunate it also has a larger group of miserable people who never accomplished anything in life —yet they are the experts of everything. And they usually claim to live here but hate everything about Thai people and Thailand. Weird weird weird. 

I love Thailand, the people, food and culture but unfortunately I still think Prayuth is a numnut and laughing stock.

16 hours ago, Polytechnic said:

Thank God I mix with expats who enjoy living here

As for saying we live in an expat bubble that is not the case

Again if you don't like it piss off and leave us in peace

Are you one of those guys, who call the US "the greatest country/ democracy/ whatever...on Earth"?

Ever heard of freedom of expression or opinion?

Don't read the opinion of people, who don't agree with you, if you don't like it!