Why Are Baht Bus Taxis In Pattaya Four Times Bangkok Taxis?

Weho

Why are baht bus taxis in Pattaya so expensive, like three or four TIMES more expensive than an air conditioned taxi in Bangkok? In Bangkok, I can be in a taxi for 40 minutes, and it's about 100 baht. In Pattaya, it's about 100 baht for FOUR or FIVE minutes, and it's a dumpy, non-air conditioned, rough, dirty BAHT BUS? Is there a racket going on? I guess it has something to do with why there aren't any tuk-tuk taxis in Pattaya.

In Bangkok, you can freely hop in a taxi, start the meter, and you know it won't cost a fortune. In Pattaya, it's a fortune AND a fight every time. Even when you agree to an outrageous price, in advance.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got ripped off that's why.

If you get one that's sitting waiting, he'll charge whatever he thinks he can get away with, if you get one that's moving and pulls over; ten baht.

Edited by Robski

Why are baht bus taxis in Pattaya so expensive, like three or four TIMES more expensive than an air conditioned taxi in Bangkok? In Bangkok, I can be in a taxi for 40 minutes, and it's about 100 baht. In Pattaya, it's about 100 baht for FOUR or FIVE minutes, and it's a dumpy, non-air conditioned, rough, dirty BAHT BUS? Is there a racket going on? I guess it has something to do with why there aren't any tuk-tuk taxis in Pattaya.

In Bangkok, you can freely hop in a taxi, start the meter, and you know it won't cost a fortune. In Pattaya, it's a fortune AND a fight every time. Even when you agree to an outrageous price, in advance.

:o I have to laugh at this.....40 minutes In a taxi in Bangkok....that`s right....5 minutes riding and thirty five sat in the traffic :D

Pattaya baht busses non-airconditioned?..........the last time I sat in one there was natural air conditioning :D

Pattaya is full of ferang/farang/farout high rollers who think they live on some sort of fantasy Island and like to pretend that they are re-incarnated from John D Rock a fellow, Andrew Carnegie....or the Sultan of Brunei

They know that they are getting ripped OFF Bigtime on so the called public transport but really ...I recon .... they quite like it.... :D

I often take the public buses from Samut P all over Bangkok ...miles and miles and miles for something like ...think now 6 bt. and yet those little mafia gangsters in the Ha bt so called cattle trucks ....busses... all charge 5 bt (hence the name) to go along one sweaty little boondock road....AND expect 100% tip......AND get it.............. :o ...its all tit....

there is the.... Givers and theres the....... Takers....... :D:D

Pattaya is full of ferang/farang/farout high rollers who think they live on some sort of fantasy Island and like to pretend that they are re-incarnated from John D Rock a fellow, Andrew Carnegie....or the Sultan of Brunei

They know that they are getting ripped OFF Bigtime on so the called public transport but really ...I recon .... they quite like it.... :D

I often take the public buses from Samut P all over Bangkok ...miles and miles and miles for something like ...think now 6 bt. and yet those little mafia gangsters in the Ha bt so called cattle trucks ....busses... all charge 5 bt (hence the name) to go along one sweaty little boondock road....AND expect 100% tip......AND get it.............. :o ...its all tit....

there is the.... Givers and theres the....... Takers....... :D:D

Wonderful mode of transport the baht bus.....cheap...reliable and convenient.... :D

The tourists who never venture further east than 3rd road is out in force again "cheap, plenty, convenient". Maybe it is as long as you only need to travel around the tourist path of Beachroad, Second road and Jomtien. Try to catch a baht bus to one of the estates in East Pattaya. Yes, over on the other side of Sukhumvit. Have you looked at a Pattaya map lately? You don't get a baht bus to take you out there for less than 200 baht. And no, you can't just jump on one going in that directions because none does. The ride is dirty, smoky, hot, inconvenient, dangerous and expensive.

It is totally obvious to me that Pattaya needs Bangkok-style taxi meters on its streets. It is a big city and although it is true the baht buses serve the standard and obvious main tourist routes, beyond that, it is dismal.

Can anyone shed some light on the history of Chiang Mai, which also must have some kind of powerful baht bus mafia (I know they also have tuk tuks), and how they ever made it happen to allow taxi meters there?

Does anyone know if there are any Thais organizing in Pattaya for taxis in Pattaya? Is there anything resident farangs could do (aside from bitching on this board) to push for taxis that would be legal under Thai law?

It is totally obvious to me that Pattaya needs Bangkok-style taxi meters on its streets. It is a big city and although it is true the baht buses serve the standard and obvious main tourist routes, beyond that, it is dismal.

The problem is that Bath busses are adequate for the tourist area but taxis are needed to serve remoter areas.

These remote areas have few customers as many of the recidents there have their own transportation, few customers result in no or expensive service.

It would be nice to have some taxis parked somewhere that you could call when you needed them. What Pattaya do not need is to double the number of vehicles on the streets with cruising, empty, taxis like in Bangkok.

For short trips locals, and most foreigners, will always use a 5-10Bath Bathbus before a 35-40Bath taxi.

A fool and his money are soon parted. That's true anywhere on earth, not just Pattaya. The baht buses provide a great service and I see no problems other than people who don't understand the system. Before a person uses any type of service, they should know at least the basics of how the system works. You want to get ripped off BIG time? Jump in a Bangkok tuk tuk and tell him where you want to go without asking the price. I do agree that Bangkok taxis are great for tourists. They are required to use their meters and if they don't, find another taxi. Some drivers in Bangkok will try to cheat you too if you don't know the basics.

As someone wrote in another thread recently, the baht bus system is a "scourge" in Pattaya. It is also reputed to be controlled by some kind of mafia that prevents metered taxis from operating there. Tuk-tuks are also a scourge in Bangkok, but I estimate are used 90% by tourists, and usually only once as the tourist soon catches on to the various scams perpetrated by the drivers.

Those who have written that baht buses are adequate for a city the size of Pattaya don't consider the elderly, the partially disabled, those with luggage and shopping parcels, etc. to say nothing of the humidity and diesel fumes. I suppose many who think baht buses are a good thing don't venture far from central Pattaya or who have their own cars or motorbikes.

This is not just about tourists or part-timers. What about the people who live here?

I don't need adventures like that, I live here...

Hear, hear........2 weeks ago at Lotus South Pattaya. I bought a washing machine and I had the choice: free delivery by Lotus or use a piece of transport, offered at the parking lot.

Instead of the regulr Baht busses, there were some mini vans waiting.

The <deleted> asked 200 Baht for a 1 km trip to my house; I offered 100 Baht but he refused and so did I. The salesguy took the machine inside and they promised to deliver it the next morning.

On my way out I showed the <deleted> my tax ID proving that I wasn't a tourist waiting to be ripped off and he immeddiately apologized. Offered to take the piece of equipment for 100 Baht to my house...........yeah sure!!!

The following morning the 2 people from Lotus installed the machine and on their way out I gave them 100 Baht each.

On my way out I showed the <deleted> my tax ID proving that I wasn't a tourist waiting to be ripped off and he immeddiately apologized. Offered to take the piece of equipment for 100 Baht to my house...........yeah sure!!!

His apology belongs in the "crocodile tears" category. Obviously you were not a tourist: buying a washing machine and asking to be driven to a house???

It's not just remote areas with few potential customers lacking baht buses: Ever try to catch a baht bus on Thepprasit Road? Or, on Third Road by Pattaya Klang? Practically impossible when I've tried it.

It's not just remote areas with few potential customers lacking baht buses: Ever try to catch a baht bus on Thepprasit Road? Or, on Third Road by Pattaya Klang? Practically impossible when I've tried it.

True, then take a motorcycle.

My ways of transportation:

1.) use my own Motorbike

2.) use my car in case I have to transport something of size

3.) hire a motorbike

4.) when I am too drunk, use a Songthaew to take you home

5.) never pay more than 100 Bht when you hire a Songthaew....max. 150 Bht if you (or your wife lol) is desperate to go home quickly.

Motorbike rates or 20, 40, 60 Baht depending on the distance in downtown Pattaya/Naklua/Jomtien. Usually u got to wear a helmet, which is provided by the driver, but this rule does not apply after 3 am somehow...lol

I don't need adventures like that, I live here...

Hear, hear........2 weeks ago at Lotus South Pattaya. I bought a washing machine and I had the choice: free delivery by Lotus or use a piece of transport, offered at the parking lot.

Instead of the regulr Baht busses, there were some mini vans waiting.

The <deleted> asked 200 Baht for a 1 km trip to my house; I offered 100 Baht but he refused and so did I. The salesguy took the machine inside and they promised to deliver it the next morning.

The following morning the 2 people from Lotus installed the machine and on their way out I gave them 100 Baht each.

That taught the <deleted> a real lesson :o:D:D

The problem is that Bath busses are adequate for the tourist area but taxis are needed to serve remoter areas.

These remote areas have few customers as many of the recidents there have their own transportation, few customers result in no or expensive service.

It would be nice to have some taxis parked somewhere that you could call when you needed them. What Pattaya do not need is to double the number of vehicles on the streets with cruising, empty, taxis like in Bangkok.

For short trips locals, and most foreigners, will always use a 5-10Bath Bathbus before a 35-40Bath taxi.

I don't agree. What is "remote?" Thepprasit Road? Third Road? If non-ripoff Bangkok style taxi meters were on the streets, they would not only find lots of business, they would be an overall boon to the entire economy of the metro area. Different kinds of businesses (for example, tourist targetted restaurants on Third Road or Sukhumwit) could advertise with their taxi cards, and spread the tourist baht and bodies in a wider arc around town. I really believe it is inevitable that Pattaya will have Bangkok taxis, but why wait 30 years, why not sooner?

The people who crow about motos ignore the fact that lots of people have no desire to ever own a moto or even take a moto taxi. Taxi meters in Bangkok are a safe, reliable, and price predictable mode of transport. In Pattaya, they would take some private cars off the road and their availability would provide an economic disincentive for people to buy cars they don't really need.

Edited by Jingthing

I was always in favour of the Baht busses, but after reading the arguments both for and against, in this thread, I have changed my mind.

I now agree the best thing for Pattaya and Jomtien would be to get rid of the Baht Busses and replace them with Metered Taxi's. But would I still be able to travel from Jomtien Soi 9 all the way to North Pattaya Soi 2 for 10 baht?

Chris

I don't favor getting rid of baht buses. They are great for tourists and residents travelling the most common routes. The open air part can be a pleasant beach resort experience. The baht buses work best as buses, not the crappy substitute for taxis they now pretend to be. To my view, that would be ideal, baht buses as buses, taxi meters as taxis, and of course the moto taxis for those who like to use those. In this mix, the baht bus numbers should be reduced as their taxi function would be replaced by taxi meters.

Of course, in a fantasy world, there would be a rapid transit link between Jomtien and Pattaya, like a streetcar or skytrain.

Edited by Jingthing

Like it or not Baht Bus is here to stay, and I predict you won't see any metered taxi(s) in Pattaya apart from pre-bookings or drop offs from airport elsewhere. Acceptance is the key to happiness. :D

Lor - no you won't get the ride for 10bht in a metered taxi. Just imagine the same amount of taxi(s) roaming Pattaya as BKK. :o