Govt decries ‘fake news’ about taxing, Bt20 donation to ‘Toon’ campaign

webfact

Govt decries ‘fake news’ about taxing, Bt20 donation to ‘Toon’ campaign

By The Nation

a8b231ecb13ab1d469237f71d3caed4a.jpeg

Photo from: Artiwara's Instrgram.

One day after donations for rock star Artiwara “Toon” Kongmalai’s charity run topped the Bt700-million target, rumours began to spread on social media that the government would tax the sum at 7 per cent.

But the rumours – which claimed the tax collected would be spent on improving police stations – were quickly denied on Sunday by government Spokesman Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd.

“The report is totally groundless. I’m not sure of the real intentions of those who created the information, but they are an ill-intentioned group of people,” the spokesman said.

The government of Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha never had such a policy, Sansern said, adding that the government had supported Toon and his team in achieving their goal.

Sansern also dismissed widespread reports that Prayut had donated just Bt20 to Artiwara’s campaign when he met the rock star at Government House recently.

“It’s not true. However, the sum donated by the premier will not be revealed, as he does not want society to discuss it or argue over it. A donation is a matter of the feeling and heart of each donor,” the spokesman said.

He said the government wished that people would follow the news with discretion so they did not believe fake or distorted information shared online.

“We ask those who disseminated fake or false information to stop these acts or face serious legal action,” Sansern said.

Donations to the talk-of-the-town charity run yesterday topped Bt716,206,770. 

According to the campaign’s website, kaokonlakao.com, as of press time Artiwara had completed 1,510 kilometres of the 2,191km marathon that has seen him run from the deep South province of Yala with the intended destination in the northernmost province of Chiang Rai.

The aim of the epic run was to raise Bt700 million in donations over 55 days to buy equipment for 11 hospitals.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30333627

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-11

41 minutes ago, webfact said:

Sansern also dismissed widespread reports that Prayut had donated just Bt20 to Artiwara’s campaign when he met the rock star at Government House recently.

I find it hard to believe that the donations would be taxed, especially to fund a new police station(s). It doesn't really make sense.

I do believe that Prayut donated 20 Baht. He just seems cheap.

52 minutes ago, webfact said:

“We ask those who disseminated fake or false information to stop these acts or face serious legal action,” Sansern said.

Does that include those with lousy explanations as to how they came to own a multi million baht watch...

19 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Does that include those with lousy explanations as to how they came to own a multi million baht watch...

We won't find out his explanation until day 30 of his grace period.. That should be enough time, even for Toad Boy, to come up with an excuse !!

3 hours ago, webfact said:

However, the sum donated by the premier will not be revealed, as he does not want society to discuss it or argue over it. A donation is a matter of the feeling and heart of each donor,” the spokesman said

And for once i agree with the junta.

Don't donate to gain face or to be able to brag on social media. Donate because you want to do good instead.

(Which goes against all thai buddhism stands for; that just glitter and gold all year long to gain face and merit)

50 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

And for once i agree with the junta.

Don't donate to gain face or to be able to brag on social media. Donate because you want to do good instead.

(Which goes against all thai buddhism stands for; that just glitter and gold all year long to gain face and merit)

Yes they are right but i think its also done to protect Prayut, because no matter how much he donates it will always be a point of discussion too high.. oh he got it from corruption to low oh he is cheap and what is too high and too low would be discussed forever too. 

1 hour ago, wvavin said:

For those that believed why donation would be subjected to taxation but make no mistake, this is Thailand.

Actually, in most countries gifts are taxed, if the giver deducts it from his/her income.

And the receiver has to declare the gifts also and may be taxed for it.

So make no mistake, gifts might be taxable, also in Thailand.

But I presume in this case nobody will be taxed, although the goods that will be bought with the proceeds will be taxed with at least VAT.

Edited by hansnl

all this talk for nothing.....those 700 milj bht , will be stolen  entirely ........

unless this guy is running with a safe under his arm .

So there is nothing left to tax over .......

Who is the thief ?.....well as usually....the most smart one in the pack .

And you better believe me :“We ask those who disseminated fake or false information to stop these acts or face....... serious legal action,”

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“It’s not true. However, the sum donated by the premier will not be revealed, as he does not want society to discuss it or argue over it. A donation is a matter of the feeling and heart of each donor,” the spokesman said.

I guess the dear general and the regime, who must not be named are working on a deal on how to take a huge cut from all the donations in secret....

39 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes they are right but i think its also done to protect Prayut, because no matter how much he donates it will always be a point of discussion too high.. oh he got it from corruption to low oh he is cheap and what is too high and too low would be discussed forever too. 

I can't disagree. However no mention of any personal donation should have been made in the first place. 

But the rumours – which claimed the tax collected would be spent on improving police stations – were quickly denied on Sunday by government Spokesman Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd.

Same, same, but different

Donations to the talk-of-the-town charity run yesterday topped Bt716,206,770.

He had 355 million near Hua Hin, when he'd to pause for three days because of an injury of his left ankle.

Where's he now that he made the whole amount in a few days? Wasn't the marathons supposed to be over on December 25th?

And wasn't the money meant to buy equipment for 11 hospitals? How can they even think about police stations then? 

It's really difficult to believe anybody here. 

Edited by jenny2017

It will not be long before the vultures are working out how to get their hands on it.

And please, before you say this is Thailand have a look at Oxfam in the UK where all the millions they rake in last I saw 8% gets to the coal face , the rest well, have a look at the company car park.

I do hope the majority of these monies does get to the hospitals

19 minutes ago, lucjoker said:

all this talk for nothing.....those 700 milj bht , will be stolen  entirely ........

unless this guy is running with a safe under his arm .

So there is nothing left to tax over .......

Who is the thief ?.....well as usually....the most smart one in the pack .

And you better believe me :“We ask those who disseminated fake or false information to stop these acts or face....... serious legal action,”

Who told you that? It's not true.

Once upon the time, there's a soldier who made a statement that foreign women in tiny bikinis would create Thai rapers and it would definitely be their own fault. Until the International press said something different.

Then, a smartarse had the idea to tax Toon's donations he's currently receiving for his charity marathons, to renovate some police stations and fill some politicians' pockets. Until the national press heard of it.

What's going on here?