Thais to get tougher on drink driving re-offenders

webfact

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A seminar was told yesterday that the Thais need to get tougher to stop drink drivers re-offending.

The 13th seminar on road safety was told that that 40,000 offenders are given probationary measures each year but up to 2% of these are just going out and repeating the offence.

Community service such as helping out in hospitals, helping those handicapped by road accidents and visits to the morgue were all well and good but not enough.

The meeting was told that those caught offending should be made to pay for the consequences. They should have to pay for probation.

Right now the tax payer foots the bill for their misbehavior in Thailand.

It was said that in the UK this can be as much as 5,600 pounds or well over 200,000 baht - this bill is handed to the drink driver.

In Singapore jail awaits while in the US those on probation in some states are obliged to carry a breathalyzer kit around with them and can be tested at all times.

More needs to be done in Thailand to stop drink drivers and hurting them financially was key to that, the meeting was told, as new proposals are now in the pipeline. 

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-12

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

A seminar was told yesterday that the Thais need to get tougher to stop drink drivers re-offending.

Which is it get or told? Big difference.:post-4641-1156693976:

Seminars with buffet lunches are the answer to everything in Thailand. This is the 13th Annual Road Safety Seminar and what have they managed to achieve in those 13 years?

They have finally achieved No.1 spot in the world for total road fatalities and certainly the world record for motorcycle deaths on the road.

All there's left to discuss now is how far ahead of their nearest competitor can they get so as to be unchallengeable.

" up to 2% of these are just going out and repeating the offence."
that seems a bit on the low side i would think,its the first time 

offenders they need to get really  tough on,then maybe they would think

twice about doing it again,i remember years ago they were trying 

to pass a bill in Parliament on DUI, but some of the MP's said they 

would not vote for it because they drink drive !

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, webfact said:

in the US those on probation in some states are obliged to carry a breathalyzer kit around with them and can be tested at all times.

No idea how these work on a motorcycle, but...

-----------------------

An ignition interlock device or breath alcohol ignition interlock device (IID and BAIID) is a breathalyzer for an individual's vehicle. It requires the driver to blow into a mouthpiece on the device before starting the vehicle. If the resultant breath-alcohol concentration analyzed result is greater than the programmed blood alcohol concentration (which varies between countries), the device prevents the engine from being started. The interlock device is located inside the vehicle, near the driver’s seat, and is directly connected to the engine’s ignition system.[1]

An ignition interlock interrupts the signal from the ignition to the starter until a valid breath sample is provided that meets minimal alcohol guidelines in that state. At that point, the vehicle can be started as normal. At random times after the engine has been started, the IID will require another breath sample. The purpose of this is to prevent someone other than the driver from providing a breath sample.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_interlock_device

34 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

" up to 2% of these are just going out and repeating the offence."
that seems a bit on the low side i would think,its the first time 

offenders they need to get really  tough on,then maybe they would think

twice about doing it again,i remember years ago they were trying 

to pass a bill in Parliament on DUI, but some of the MP's said they 

would not vote for it because they drink drive !

regards worgeordie

sounds daft but I believe

I wonder how many that attended this seminar drove home over the limit

Another serious problem is people using mobile devices while driving, I would guess that mobile use is likely the highest contributor to accidents on Thai roads and combined with all the other issues makes for a very poor outcome on the roads

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

sounds daft but I believe

I wonder how many that attended this seminar drove home over the limit

Another serious problem is people using mobile devices while driving, I would guess that mobile use is likely the highest contributor to accidents on Thai roads and combined with all the other issues makes for a very poor outcome on the roads

I grabbed a moto-taxi one night at Bali Hai pier Pattaya. TRAFFIC out the wazoo & the guy's phone rings.

He answers it. I tapped him on the shoulder & told him to let me off. Thorasab mai dee motorcy. (Telephone no good motorcycle).

Started yelling at me "I am Thai!  Can do what I want!"

Fair enough, but not with me on the back.

Edited by jaywalker

12 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

I grabbed a moto-taxi one night at Bali Hai pier Pattaya. TRAFFIC out the wazoo & the guy's phone rings.

He answers it. I tapped him on the shoulder & told him to let me off. Thorasab mai dee motorcy. (Telephone no good motorcycle).

Started yelling at me "I am Thai!  Can do what I want!"

Fair enough, but not with me on the back.

Just right too - I have done the same and add to that - I have a motorbike that I don't use at night when drinking so it is either walk or a motorbike taxi, finding a MB taxi driver that is sober in the small hours can be extremely difficult, it wouldn't be the first time I have told a driver to stop when it became very obvious he was plastered 

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

Just right too - I have done the same and add to that - I have a motorbike that I don't use at night when drinking so it is either walk or a motorbike taxi, finding a MB taxi driver that is sober in the small hours can be extremely difficult, it wouldn't be the first time I have told a driver to stop when it became very obvious he was plastered 

I had a dirt bike/enduro Honda 350 back in the 1980's. Never took it on the asphalt, but there was lots of dirt roads where I'd ride it.

Learned my lesson young about pounding a few beers & trying to handle a bike. Never again. Luckily all I hit was a barbed wire fence (that wasn't there a week earlier).

-----------------------------

That one MB taxi is the only one I ever had a problem with out of the hundreds I've used though. I'd be too worried about falling off the back of one if I was plastered.

A friend once told me something about them that made a lot of sense. Pick the oldest one there who has no road rash. He's been at it a while & knows what he's doing.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

but up to 2% of these are just going out and repeating the offence

I suspect it’s more that 2% are caught again.... with reoffence being closer to 100%

What stopped me reoffending, years ago, was crippling fines, financial restitution for damages and becoming uninsurable for a couple of years.

Edited by farcanell

If you want to hurt Thai's you have to hit them hard in the wallet and take away their prized possessions  as nothing else works.   Bans don't work as they just carry on driving/riding, many never having a license to start with and punitive fines don't work as they just laugh at them, seen it from Villagers around us and in many cases even small fines never get paid.   Hit them with a 5,000 Baht fine first offence and if they re-offend go to jail for 6 months and take the Vehicle away and crush it.   Do this a few times and watch how things improve rapidly but if they are not going to take serious action then just stop talking Bullshit and let them carry on killing themselves and innocents.....you can't have it both ways !

When I meet foreigners who think that it's ok to drive home after drinking 1 bottle of red wine, because home is not far, I think that Thai must be far away to any change.

How can someone be stupid enough to think that it's ok to drive after 1 bottle of wine or just few beers ?

These fatasses (because of course people who cannot go anywhere without their car never walk and never exercise) deserve to die !

Round the corner from me, it's 3,000 Baht if you get caught drink driving. My wife got caught there. Funny thing - she wanted to go a different way home but it was muddy that way and I asked her to stick to the main road. She'd had 1 pint of Hoegaarden but she's 40kg, so was over. I could see they were having a laugh and joke with her and I found out later, she'd been busted there the night before too.

2 nights in a row, same place, same cops, total complacency. Not just the cops either but my bloody wife who (after some 'negotiations') now takes taxi's out.

We even get told by a cop friend when there's going to be checkpoint set up - road, time etc. I am sure we are not the only ones.

There's a restaurant round the corner owned by a cop too - you can drive there and leave steaming and it's all OK if you tell them where you are coming from.  Some guy takes his Aston there regularly and gets hammered. 

Nobody gives a crap at all as long as they think they'll get away with it. 

And the distant backwater this occurs in most nights? Yup - Bangkok.

7 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

If you want to hurt Thai's you have to hit them hard in the wallet and take away their prized possessions  as nothing else works.   Bans don't work as they just carry on driving/riding, many never having a license to start with and punitive fines don't work as they just laugh at them, seen it from Villagers around us and in many cases even small fines never get paid.   Hit them with a 5,000 Baht fine first offence and if they re-offend go to jail for 6 months and take the Vehicle away and crush it.   Do this a few times and watch how things improve rapidly but if they are not going to take serious action then just stop talking Bullshit and let them carry on killing themselves and innocents.....you can't have it both ways !

The fine for drink driving is up to 30k and 3 months inside...