Driving License renewal Issue - HELP !!!

Ook

Hi Folks,

I have been working for over 10 years in Thailand and decided to move back to Europe about 1,5 years ago.

My Thai driving license had a validity of 10 years and is  due to expire in about 2 months time from now. I'm currently back in Thailand for some Holidays (on a tourist Visa) and was wondering if I can still renew my driving license on a tourist visa? Just so that I can use it whenever I come back on my annual Holidays (or in the event, I may decide to come back to work again)?

I know they would normally ask a copy of your passport, non-immigrant visa page (or extension of stay) and proof of address (tabian baan)...

Would there be any way around this or could i perfectly explain my situation, by telling them I am hopping in between 2 jobs, while currently being on a tourist visa?

Actually this could make sense, because if you are on a non-immigrant B/extension of stay and terminate your employment, you need to leave the country within 7 days and come back on a tourist visa instead... So I could be unemployed and looking for a job on a tourist visa when being here. But then what happens with my driving license? 

Anyone advise or experience with this?

Thanks!

Oak

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Best place to find out about your situation is to visit the nearest DLT office.

I had a 5 year licence and went from a Non B then to a tourist visa, at the time they would only give me a 1 year licence. I heard a 2 year licence is now issued.

You will only be issued a 2 year 'Temporary License' if you do not have a Non-Immigrant Visa. 

It doesn't matter which type of license you are renewing. 

At some point in the future, if you have a Non-Immigrant Visa it 'could' be possible to 'upgrade' your Temporary License to a 5 Year license (I'm not sure of this - maybe someone on this forum has tried it ?).... 

Edited by richard_smith237

57 minutes ago, rickjza said:

I had a 5 year licence and went from a Non B then to a tourist visa, at the time they would only give me a 1 year licence. I heard a 2 year licence is now issued.

Yes changed to 2 year first DL's now.

From many past posts on Thai DL's it seems provinces DLT's rule in different ways.

If OP just comes for Holidays in future he can use his home country full licence with IDP.

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

At some point in the future, if you have a Non-Immigrant Visa it 'could' be possible to 'upgrade' your Temporary License to a 5 Year license (I'm not sure of this - maybe someone on this forum has tried it ?)....

What visa are you suggesting then is needed to get a 5-year licence after the expiry of the temporary licence?

13 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

That's simply not the case.  I have a Non-Immigrant visa and was issued a temporary 2 year licence in Bangkok 2 weeks ago.

Doesn't matter what visa you have with getting the 1st Thai DL and that is a 2 year one the next DL is a 5 year but if OP has a tourist entry visa he may get another 2 year DL but yet again he wouldn't get a Thai DL in our province DLT on tourist visa.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Non immigrant visa is required for that.

I know that but it seems that richard_smith237 doesn't....

Post #5, "At some point in the future, if you have a Non-Immigrant Visa it 'could' be possible to 'upgrade' your Temporary License to a 5 Year license (I'm not sure of this - maybe someone on this forum has tried it ?)....  "

17 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I know that but it seems that richard_smith237 doesn't....

Post #5, "At some point in the future, if you have a Non-Immigrant Visa it 'could' be possible to 'upgrade' your Temporary License to a 5 Year license (I'm not sure of this - maybe someone on this forum has tried it ?)....  "

He is talking about upgrading while valid, not applying for a new one at the end of the 2 year period.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

No, I had a one year licence 17 years ago which expired and was never renewed but that has no bearing on the one that was issued recently. 

You probably should not have commented as you are not the norm / your situation is not typical.

4 hours ago, rickjza said:

You probably should not have commented as you are not the norm / your situation is not typical.

How is that then?   Didn't you ask me a question?

My situation is the same as anyone else applying for a new licence with  Non-Imm visa.   My long expired licence from nearly 2 decades ago, which I suppose you're referring to, did not come up with my new application.  It wasn't even issued by the same office. 

Edited by Just Weird