Legality of Pitbulls in Thailand

ShannonT

3 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

The police will have zero interest.

What’s the crime?

It’s like VDOing a car and saying this might knock me down???

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Agreed on what is the crime? I was replying to Denim's suggestions as below. Without confirming what state the dog is actually in, you would be condemning the animal by mass opinion rather than actual behavior. 

"Take some photographs of the dogs when they are behaving badly then take these to the local police station to express your concerns that they could be a nasty assault waiting to happen. Take pictures of your trip to the police station maybe holding a dated newspaper. 

Put all your pictures on a Thai facebook account and let social media do the rest.

Of course....you are not going to be mr popular with the dogs owner but prevention is better than a late cure."

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Noted that this is from the American Temperament Test Society, but none-the-less. A little something that may surprise the experts on dangerous dogs:

5a332e859a86b_AmericanTemperancetesting.jpg.920db46fb531b29eaf20526eafe6e37f.jpg

A little something that 'will not' surprise the experts on dangerous dogs:

12-year-u.s.-dog-bite-statistics-.jpg

Edited by PattayaAngel

38 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Noted that this is from the American Temperament Test Society, but none-the-less. A little something that may surprise the experts on dangerous dogs:

5a332e859a86b_AmericanTemperancetesting.jpg.920db46fb531b29eaf20526eafe6e37f.jpg

Is it just my computers or has the ATTS website been banned in Thailand? I also was going to reference them but could not access it.

10 minutes ago, PattayaAngel said:

Total bias.  Billions of humans never killed anyone and what???  PitBulls top the charts for attacks and bites by A MILE.

Statistics can be read how you want them to be read in terms of bites. 

Chihuahua's have topped the charts if talking about any of the 4.5 million bites a year.  

According to pet insurers, the most likely dog to bite based on claims is the Labrador. 

Edited by wildewillie89

18 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Really lovin' the cuddly Pitbull photos guys.

Alexis Douglas, Pitbull victim, Melbourne.

27EDF4BD00000578-3053410-The_five_year_old_girl_from_Melbourne_required_50_stitches_after-m-47_1429858076850.jpg.269161194686920506208a67ba5885eb.jpg

You could find exactly the same injuries on any dog breed. 

Are you saying to wipe out all dogs? I don't understand the point of your emotive post?

Was it even a Pitbull? The parliamentary report for instance found the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) had overturned 74 per cent of declarations that dogs were pit bulls since 2011.

Edited by wildewillie89

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Spare us your Thai bash but it happens in England and Canada and many other places. I leave you to google for dog attacks on people in other countries.

It is NOT a Thai attitude thing. It's a pit bull owners attitude thing.

Except that he's right; a vastly different state of awareness and concern for consequences is evident in places like England and Canada.

59 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Is it just my computers or has the ATTS website been banned in Thailand? I also was going to reference them but could not access it.

Not sure if it is blocked, I had that chart on my computer already. I think that is from 2014 or 2015?

2 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Is there a similar study conducted on Pit Bull owners?  

17 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Is there a similar study conducted on Pit Bull owners?  

There certainly should be IMO. One thing (among many others) that seems never to run alongside the statistic for dog bites is the environment that the animals have been raised.

For me, the pictures and statements below are so true:

b962400885d80c43a5936de011e9239d.jpg.248cbae7168c0e3185570f368930b649.jpg

15aadde60713a5acf7f3773ecdfb95df.jpg.06cea5aaf98d1d1b8cfa6bf870f97742.jpg

Edited by chrisinth

A dog is a dog.  All dogs can bite, maybe small ones bite more people that pit bulls............

However, large fighting breeds of dogs are equipped with the jaws, teeth, muscles and temperament to inflict horrific and often fatal attacks.  So they are potentially very dangerous dogs. It's in their mental make up that once they attack something they will put all their energy into killing it.. no matter at what cost.  They go into a frenzy when nothing around them will distract their attention form ripping their victim into pieces once they get into that zone.  It's what they have been bred for... over many generations... and no training will stop them once they get to this stage.  

Of course most are lovely family pets.  But the few that attack or flip out inflict serious injuries on people or other animals.  Something a poodle, basset hound or any other none fighting breed could not physically do.

So, the big powerful fighting breeds of dogs need to be either banned, or strict licencing and rules need to be applied when keeping these dogs... such as the correct fence height, material, leads, training, etc. 

The problem with these pit bull dogs only arises from the irresponsible owners... so I am not bashing pit bull dogs!  I know people who keep them as lovely pets and I feel very safe around them.. but.........

I am sick of hearing pit bull owners coming up with the weak and stupid argument that 'any dog can bite'.  If you were to get attacked by a dog... would you want it to be a pit bull or a terrier or sheep dog?  Sure all these dogs will bite you.. but guess which one will do you the most damage... or maybe even kill you?  

Just like guns don't kill people, people do.... same with the pit bulls, but the guns have to be registered and have controls over how you keep them.... so should the dangerous breeds of dogs.  

Edited by jak2002003

13 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Not keen on Rottweilers either, they’re, as pit bulls attack dogs and nigh on impossible to stop when they flip, nope, too dangerous to have around, especially near kids.

Sent from my house using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Rubbish.

It's not the dogs, it's the owners.

Back in the UK I knew of more than a dozen friends and family who had Rottweilers and Dobermanns (me included), with kids around, never a problem. It's how the dogs are brought up and trained. Both the above breeds were also great guard dogs at the same time as great family additions. Big softies around their kids and the kids loved the big softie dogs. Intruders - different matter.

57 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Rubbish.

It's not the dogs, it's the owners.

Back in the UK I knew of more than a dozen friends and family who had Rottweilers and Dobermanns (me included), with kids around, never a problem. It's how the dogs are brought up and trained. Both the above breeds were also great guard dogs at the same time as great family additions. Big softies around their kids and the kids loved the big softie dogs. Intruders - different matter.

So if an old friend dropped by, unknown to the dogs, (ergo intruder) wandered in to say Hi and was torn limb from limb it would be who's fault exactly?

21 minutes ago, Cranky said:

So if an old friend dropped by, unknown to the dogs, (ergo intruder) wandered in to say Hi and was torn limb from limb it would be who's fault exactly?

Signage is always a good idea when you have large dogs, this is what I have on my gate.................:thumbsup:

5858af7d2a86b_Warning-DogsatPlay.jpg.a41705d847562705e1fe104d501009ba.jpg.fae185f8f4a5a0f7127b44d21010b699.jpg

21 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Signage is always a good idea when you have large dogs, this is what I have on my gate.................:thumbsup:

5858af7d2a86b_Warning-DogsatPlay.jpg.a41705d847562705e1fe104d501009ba.jpg.fae185f8f4a5a0f7127b44d21010b699.jpg

Yes, but you are one of the responsible owners.

Many people would not have a sign, gate or even a fence... and let the dog run free.  Then when someone comes on the property to deliver a letter, come to visit, kids come to get the football back.... the dog attacks.  

That is why I am in favour of licencing and setting up some rules for owners of large 'dangerous' dog breeds... rules like, have signs up (like you have) and a secure fence, etc.  

20 hours ago, PattayaAngel said:

Spare us the 'red tinted thai love thing' everyone knows Thais are less responsible concerning many things including animal welfare. Wake up and walk down any soi to see the rag tag dogs and cats etc.  Pitbulls are dangerous in ANY country, inc. England and Canada you so thoughtfully point out but where they are REGULATED.

Pitbulls are NOT dangerous by nature. All dogs can grow up to be dangerous if they are not cared for correctly. Children likewise.

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

Great signs, looking at something similar. Self made? We just have the no entry sign as we looked all around the city and failed to see any signs relating to dogs. But only Mrs, father-in-law and I have the key (gates are always locked).

57 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Indeed. We have similar. Except it doesn't say playful.

We also have a large sign in English and Thai saying no "unauthorized entry - you have been warned".

We live out in the sticks - no neighbors.

Everyone thinks we have an electrified fence - we haven't.

Everyone thinks I have a gun - I don't.

Everyone inc electric meter man, aircon service men etc thinks one of our dogs is from Satan himself - he isn't. Not helped by the one blue eye, one brown eye (Husky mum, Rotty dad). That dog is put in a pen when anybody outside family and friends wants to come into the compound. Which further enhances his reputation.

But that is how we like it.

2 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Great signs, looking at something similar. Self made? We just have the no entry sign as we looked all around the city and failed to see any signs relating to dogs. But only Mrs, father-in-law and I have the key (gates are always locked).

Yep self made. I'm fortunate to have the graphic software and an A3 colour printer.............:smile:

I haven't seen anything close to this on sale in Thailand. And anyway, I prefer to word it 'Playful' so as not to scare the kids running around the Soi................:thumbsup: