Best All-round 4x4

stament

8 hours ago, tonboy said:

ProAuto does the maintenance, couple of days ago oil and filter change, 2600 baht. 
Beats the official Isuzu garage and are very clear. Also speak very well English. Communication is always a problem with the official Isuzu dealers. And yes, I do live in CM

Oil change at my garage is < 1,000 Baht. Owner speaks pretty good English although he's a PITA at times, my wife loves him & I don't have to travel at all;-)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, r136dg said:

Oil change at my garage is < 1,000 Baht. Owner speaks pretty good English although he's a PITA at times, my wife loves him & I don't have to travel at all;-)

Sounds like basic mineral oil in tour application..

4 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

A monocoque chassis is miles safer than an old fashioned rail chassis.

How do you figure that a steel ladder frame on modern pickups and SUV's are not as strong as a monocock ?

Head on, side impact, angle impact are all better absorbed by the strength of a steel ladder design than a light weight aluminum frameless vehicle.

One look at a Honda Jazz will demonstrate this - the engine is in the back seat.

http://www.whyhighend.com/monocoque-vs-ladder-chassis.html

Monocoque chassis are used in most vehicle types and is more suited for everyday, luxury and sport oriented vehicles but the ladder chassis is better suited for commercial and heavy duty work. Debating on monocoque vs ladder chassis will come down to the intended function of the vehicle.

Edited by canthai55

How do you figure that a steel ladder frame on modern pickups and SUV's are not as strong as a monocock ?
Head on, side impact, angle impact are all better absorbed by the strength of a steel ladder design than a light weight aluminum frameless vehicle.
One look at a Honda Jazz will demonstrate this - the engine is in the back seat.
http://www.whyhighend.com/monocoque-vs-ladder-chassis.html
Monocoque chassis are used in most vehicle types and is more suited for everyday, luxury and sport oriented vehicles but the ladder chassis is better suited for commercial and heavy duty work. Debating on monocoque vs ladder chassis will come down to the intended function of the vehicle.

I didn't say strong, I said safer. I also didn't pit a small car against a large one.

A current SUV built on a monocoque chassis is safer than one built on a ladder frame chassis. There's loads of info proving this if you care to look for it.

Next you'll be telling me solid rear axles are better than independent suspension setups, or quad carbed V8s are more efficient than a turbo 4...

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Just had the Hilux diesel serviced at ProAuto....Lube , Castrol 10,000k oil, Filter, rotate tires, alignment, general inspection = noticed & replaced split fresh air intake horn/hose (in stock @ 450b) = total cost ฿2300.......Failed hose pic & detail sent to me via Line for authorization while walking around.....Fully equipped & efficiently staffed shop.....

Done in about 2 hours....

Pretty tough to beat......W/o the air horn would have been about ฿1800.....

I'll take this level of service over any of the many others I've had/used/tried <including mom & pops + chains> here over the years  (3 vehicles) any time.....

Screenshot_2017-12-16-10-13-34-59.png

Screenshot_2017-12-16-10-26-49-73.png

If that was the condition of my engine I would be ashamed to put a snap of it in. When was the last time it was cleaned??? Snap of a clean engine.

A bit dusty but it has been 3 week since the last clean up.

Just had a 10th service at Toyota 2.350bt same as your one + new aircon filter and prop shaft grease. Did you get 8lt of full syn: oil?

ÓH took less than an hour including a free valet.

IMGP0003.JPG

Edited by fredob43

34 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

10 seconds on Google, first hit...

Pity you did not read it ...

Unibody SUVs are generally lighter, less stiff, and less likely to roll over than body-on-frame SUVs, but whether unibody structure affects risk of death in crashes is unknown.

Typical ...

44 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

If that was the condition of my engine I would be ashamed to put a snap of it in. When was the last time it was cleaned??? Snap of a clean engine.

A bit dusty but it has been 3 week since the last clean up.

Just had a 10th service at Toyota 2.350bt same as your one + new aircon filter and prop shaft grease. Did you get 8lt of full syn: oil?

ÓH took less than an hour including a free valet.

IMGP0003.JPG

Sounds quite good servicing, is there much difference in price vs main toyota dealerships?

7 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

A monocoque chassis is miles safer than an old fashioned rail chassis.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

I am sure this depends on the make of vehicle and so I understand, whether you are looking at the safety from the point of viewer of the crasher or crashee.  From what I remember reading, many of the requirements of controlled crush zones is to protect who you run into as much as you.  Modern chassis vehicles for heavy load carrying have crush zones too or they could not be sold in some markets. I am not talking about Mercedes and Volvo type vehicles with a sophisticated semi isolated passenger compartment.  There are many levels of construction in modern cars as well as new materials including some very new steels.

Edited by The Deerhunter

55 minutes ago, stament said:

Sounds quite good servicing, is there much difference in price vs main toyota dealerships?

That was the price at the main Toyota garage In Kamphaeng Phet. Also free coffee and hot food, coffee excepted food declined. Just rechecked the bill and it was 2.329bt so a tad better. 

Re-cleaning I have the lump valeted every few weeks they do the engine, under, and everything else including blacking the pedals??? 150bt cheap as chips so why not. Would I do it myself not on your life. 

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

Seems the dreaded Ford-itis has claimed another victim.

Symptoms include myopic vision and delusions of grandeur.

Side effects may manifest as supreme arrogance, indifference, and contempt for others. Kowtowing to the Blue Oval also observed in many individuals.

Care should be exercised when in close proximity with individuals displaying any or all of the symptoms above.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Seems the dreaded Ford-itis has claimed another victim.

Symptoms include myopic vision and delusions of grandeur.

Side effects may manifest as supreme arrogance, indifference, and contempt for others. Kowtowing to the Blue Oval also observed in many individuals.

Care should be exercised when in close proximity with individuals displaying any or all of the symptoms above.

The FOICCs - Ford Owners Insecurity Club Choir....