Half Thai, half Falang child joining the Thai Military

Rimkok

Just checked with the missus. Her son just finished his 1 yr national service. He had finished 'High school'; mattayum 6, so only had to do 1yr. If he had completed a university degree then he would have had to do only 6 mths. He volunteered before waiting for the lottery in order to choose the navy rather than risk the army and being sent to the South. If drafted through the lottery then one cannot choose. He was moved 5 times, 3 in Chonburi, but later still transferred to the South.  To begin the water was undrinkable, and throughout the food was lousy and only chicken was available So he had to buy food every evening from a restaurant/s run by wives of senior staff. He doesnt smoke but his dormitory to begin with was directly over the communal area where most smoked and so the dorm upstairs was full of smoke which he found very difficult and developed a chronic cough. They are charged for literally everything: uniforms, bed and board, even haircuts, and they are sent home on lots of compulsory holidays for which they do not get paid. So at the end of the month after also settling his edible food restaurant bill; for the 1st 3 mths he only had 1k or 2k left and later 3k to 4k of his 9k thb salary. On discharge he also felt let down having been promised when volunteering that he would receive 30k thb on completion of service, but he received nothing. He was told that was only for those completing 2 yr training! All in all a very Thai experience. But at least he came home safe and sound. He said he learned more in the boy scouts at school!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What happen if you are dual citizen of two countries that both have draft military service?

YES............ A good question......... and I don't know..........

Best way to know is to talk to 'military offices' in each country............ 

I feel that in reality each country would have rules concerning that situation and I 

doubt that any country would 'not exempt' service to another country.......

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Join the cadets at school, but after hours. I believe that counts as service and no lottery. Most international schools have cadets.

My n friend has his American.Thai Son in Hua Hin high school, he is doing so well, his teachers told his father it's a shame he can't join the Thai Military as an Officer, as he would make a great Military Leader.  But is is Farang/Thai and No Can Do.

15 hours ago, Cyclone88 said:

The word envelope springs to mind. 

A reply like this is a waste, if you can't take the time to be more explicit and helpful then why waste your time and ours (maybe just trying to run-up your POST count)............ there are so many posts already about paying-off and then you post a 'one-liner'...... With no helpful info...... Why???????

This OP has interest in learning a bit from others on TV.... Do you really think you offered him some help???????????

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

Just checked with the missus. Her son just finished his 1 yr national service. He had finished 'High school'; mattayum 6, so only had to do 1yr. If he had completed a university degree then he would have had to do only 6 mths. He volunteered before waiting for the lottery in order to choose the navy rather than risk the army and being sent to the South. If drafted through the lottery then one cannot choose. He was moved 5 times, 3 in Chonburi, but later still transferred to the South.  To begin the water was undrinkable, and throughout the food was lousy and only chicken was available So he had to buy food every evening from a restaurant/s run by wives of senior staff. He doesnt smoke but his dormitory to begin with was directly over the communal area where most smoked and so the dorm upstairs was full of smoke which he found very difficult and developed a chronic cough. They are charged for literally everything: uniforms, bed and board, even haircuts, and they are sent home on lots of compulsory holidays for which they do not get paid. So at the end of the month after also settling his edible food restaurant bill; for the 1st 3 mths he only had 1k or 2k left and later 3k to 4k of his 9k thb salary. On discharge he also felt let down having been promised when volunteering that he would receive 30k thb on completion of service, but he received nothing. He was told that was only for those completing 2 yr training! All in all a very Thai experience. But at least he came home safe and sound. He said he learned more in the boy scouts at school!

Thanks for your contribution. This is exactly what I am trying to avoid.

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

My n friend has his American.Thai Son in Hua Hin high school, he is doing so well, his teachers told his father it's a shame he can't join the Thai Military as an Officer, as he would make a great Military Leader.  But is is Farang/Thai and No Can Do.

Yes I find the no Officer rule racist. This is another good reason my son won't be joining.

Personally I think they are scared that these kids will out perform them due to their superior intelligence.

Edited by Rimkok
poor grammar

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have about 8 years before the lottery for the military comes up for my son.

I truly hope that things may change by then.

Can you send him to school overseas to get round it. Or go back to your country with all your family. The thought of being told to do something by the army i would never join. Just be their cattle fodder never

You have a few Options,  If he is  registered as a Thai  and has a Thai ID card he can be enlisted, You can either Buy  Him out of the Draw,  Or If he wants to go in He can Enlist Volentry before he gets his call up papers to go and pick a ball, If he does this, He can chose which Forces he wants to go in , providing there is a vacancy, Again money may have to cross hands, To be honest if he is just going in a s a conscript he will mostly just get beasted by other solders and officers, He will not learn a lot in the two years he is in ,  The other option is if he has a trade he may be able to get dispensation ,

4 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Half Thais/Farlangs are also not allowed to join the Thai police force or become MPs or hold official government positions, in these cases both parents have to be full blown Thai citizens.

There is no Thai law saying that. If I'm mistaken, please correct me.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/feb/24/thai-pm-admits-british-nationality

5 minutes ago, snowgard said:

All this options not work anymore!!! In the beginning of last year everything changed!!!

- No 30.000 THB payout or more

- no cadet

Only the lottery can bring you the lucky!!!

Well you have just contradicted many people on this thread.

Can you provide a link or any proof of this?

No but you can ask in schools who run the cadet workshop. My sons are 22 + 20 and we tried everything but nothing helped. My oldest one earns 30.000 THB monthly and tried to pay his way out. But it's not longer accepted. But he was a lucky winner last year. 

And we are good connected. But the payout time is gone, Do you don't saw the young soap opera stars last year who must go to the lottery? Crying ... 

Edited by snowgard

13 minutes ago, snowgard said:

No but you can ask in schools who run the cadet workshop. My sons are 22 + 20 and we tried everything but nothing helped. My oldest one earns 30.000 THB monthly and tried to pay his way out. But it's not longer accepted. But he was a lucky winner last year. 

And we are good connected. But the payout time is gone, Do you don't saw the young soap opera stars last year who must go to the lottery? Crying ... 

Sad when you think 2 years of your life will be decided by the toss of a coin!

36 minutes ago, Rimkok said:

There is probably no law written in stone but that won't stop the xenophobic Thai's from practicing it. 

Do you know who the person is in the link I posted? Thai people can't be totally xenophobic because he ended up as prime minister.

Which means not only was he selected by his party, but also that his party was elected by a majority of those that voted.

5 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

"Thai Father" is the key, man. Here it is still essential. Same discrimination when it comes to Naturalization, a Farang Husband isn't treated equally to a Farang wife.

Maybe his Scottish mother managed to acquire Thai citizenship? And as you say, different rules apply to Farlang female spouses.  I have yet to hear of half Farlangs/Thais being accepted in the police force or working in official government positions as in the majority of cases the Farlang spouses are male.

2 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Do you know who the person is in the link I posted? Thai people can't be totally xenophobic because he ended up as prime minister.

Which means not only was he selected by his party, but also that his party was elected by a majority of those that voted.

I think you will find both his parents were Thai. 

He was educated at Eton so his parents were probably very rich.

As a side note he was very good mates with Boris Johnson even going on holiday to Thailand with him in his younger days.

My son has both Thai and Australian (by decent) citizenship, when he reached the age for the National Service he went along to register. He did not want to go into the Military, so he thought he would try and delay this as he was going to University. He wanted to at least complete the course he was doing.

When he spoke to the officer in charge at the registration he was asked about his citizenship and if he was Thai. He explained his dual citizenship then the office replied, well I don't think you really need to do this because you may be called up by the Australian military, son just replied "yes, that is true". They then sent him home Not Required.

I believe my son was just lucky on the day as another guy may have taken a different view of the situation.

My sons big mistake was that he did not request the clearance form / letter that the military issues. This letter is required by many companies for employment. To prove that you have either, completed National Service / Not selected / Not required (for what ever reason). As some posters have previously mentioned you can buy this "letter" if you have the right connections. This is what my son did.

7 hours ago, snowgard said:

Sure!!! My youngest has a good job too. Earns around 20.000 THB plus in his first year and he is sad now because him don't know too him are a lucky one. 

So why doesn't he leave this country, that has so little to offer to young people anyhow? There is a beautiful world out there form him...

19 hours ago, Rimkok said:

He has a Thai and British passport.

A few years ago they were not allowed in the military, 100% Thai only.

The rules have since changed, now they can join but not as officers.

so this sounds like he will never be "drafted" so what is the problem ?

18 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Join the cadets at school, but after hours. I believe that counts as service and no lottery. Most international schools have cadets.

I would have thought most schools have that (certainly private and international schools do). I'm not sure about government schools. But the child needs to complete high school to participate in that. 

7 hours ago, britishrepublican said:

Do your duty and stop  whinning about your obligations.  You only want the gravy from thailand without giving anything back. 

You think your better than others, you're not. 

Yeah you are right I giving back only 3 000 000 a year...