Half Thai, half Falang child joining the Thai Military

Rimkok

Are there any members that currently have a child in the Thai military? I am particularly interested in half Thai, half Farang kids.

Also any members out there where their child will soon be coming of age to join?

With all the bad press and recent deaths of cadets and subsequent cover ups personally I would not feel comfortable allowing my son to enroll, he will be 16 very soon.

I realize they have a lottery to decide who gets in but I will be doing everything possible when the time comes to avoid it. My son tells me there is no way he wants to join. He believes he will be subject to ''special treatment'' because he is half Farang.

I am very interested to hear other members views on this subject?

Many thanks.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, allane said:

Nobody is "half" anything in terms of their citizenship. Reading between the lines, I presume your son is Thai.

He has a Thai and British passport.

A few years ago they were not allowed in the military, 100% Thai only.

The rules have since changed, now they can join but not as officers.

Hello all

I can't quite recall whether here or some where else that there is a lot more options (lets say ) than drawing the lottery

Now I may be corrected on this , as it's only by memory

* If your child was to do the voluntary after school recruitment 2 yrs I think may not have to do full time army

* Child can volunteer for 6 mths full time avoiding 2 yr lottery if he gets the wrong colour 

* Also remember something along the lines that if child was to volunteer & has very good mrks at school (not sure if this is for the 6mths or after school episode ) they are able to choose what service (ie AIrforce - army ect ) they prefer 

I concur with VocalNeal. Most parents want their sons to do the high school cadet program because completing it means they avoid the draft lottery later on. There is a news thread running about the recent tragic death of a cadet. He was at a military academy, not in the high school cadet program.

Thanks for the replies.

I did hear about the after school option. I wouldn't fancy him doing that either to be honest.

He has many hobbies outside of school and the last thing I want is for him to waste 2 years doing something he doesn't want to do and will serve him no purpose.

If we were talking about a disciplined military then I would have no problem with him enrolling. Cleaning the Generals cars and boots is hardly training. 

The way I see it is that he would have absolutely nothing to gain by joining. His time could be spent much more productively doing something else. 

22 minutes ago, Rimkok said:

Care to share them?

I heard it was 30,000 Baht to the recruitment officer but how one goes about it I don't know. My stepdaughters boyfriend does week ends as an air force cadet for two years, after that he say's he wont have to go to the military. My luk krueng son is 10 and even now say's he doesn't want to go when 18 (I think) hope I'n still alive then to help.

Edited by soalbundy

23 minutes ago, Rimkok said:

Thanks for the replies.

I did hear about the after school option. I wouldn't fancy him doing that either to be honest.

He has many hobbies outside of school and the last thing I want is for him to waste 2 years doing something he doesn't want to do and will serve him no purpose.

If we were talking about a disciplined military then I would have no problem with him enrolling. Cleaning the Generals cars and boots is hardly training. 

The way I see it is that he would have absolutely nothing to gain by joining. His time could be spent much more productively doing something else. 

As if cleaning the general's things are the only thing soldiers have to do?

Assisting in hospitals;

Flood relief;

Cleaning waterways;

Assisting security in local festivities;

Traffic assisting;

Building small houses for the poor and needy;

All kinds of social services.

Besides these social duties:

Patrolling in the south;

Patrolling the borders;

Security in towns and villages;

Training....

Yes, and sometimes do nothing in barracks, the bane of all soldiers.

19 minutes ago, allane said:

To billd766 (Post # 11):

You can be a dual citizen - a citizen of two countries;

but you can't be half Thai, half British, or half any other nationality in terms of citizenship. You either have citizenship or you don't.

This doesn't stop the Thai military for not allowing ''Dual citizen'' kids to become officers. Seems like a racist policy to me. 

Edited by Rimkok
missed words

26 minutes ago, hansnl said:

As if cleaning the general's things are the only thing soldiers have to do?

Assisting in hospitals;

Flood relief;

Cleaning waterways;

Assisting security in local festivities;

Traffic assisting;

Building small houses for the poor and needy;

All kinds of social services.

Besides these social duties:

Patrolling in the south;

Patrolling the borders;

Security in towns and villages;

Training....

Yes, and sometimes do nothing in barracks, the bane of all soldiers.

You missed clearing leaves on golf courses!

The chances are if he is academically good, can handle both languages well, he won't be cleaning cars etc., but possibly he would have a decent job.  The other boy was at a military academy not in the forces. If he is so bright, rather than perhaps reaping the benefits of a non Thai dad, perhaps joining the air force or navy before the draft would give him some very good opportunities . Many of the regulars at the camps near me are doing BA degrees at weekend in the uni I teach for free!

<deleted> That my son will not be going in that Military..

If anything by the time he is of age we will be in my home country and he will want to join the military there..with a excellent education system and training in a modern disciplined service.

I wonder how the Thai draft treats duel citizens that have already joint the military in their western home country?

Thailand has one small domestic problem in the south, otherwise its a bit of a decent life in the forces here, The chances are if he is at least half intelligent he will have a great time and not be bomb magnet in the south at all. But then for you to worry about it means perhaps he ain't that bright!

1 minute ago, phetpeter said:

Still two years keeping fit, learn rules and becoming a man, better than 2 years messing around on a motorbike and getting some half wit girl up the duff, etc., 

....or 2 years at university getting a degree.

''Learn the rules and becoming a man'' in the Thai military. Lol.

What is stopping a soldier getting a half wit girl up the duff? Most of them do!

Motorbike I don't think so, I will be buying him a car.