Half Thai, half Falang child joining the Thai Military

Rimkok

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Or looking after his commanding officer's senile parents for a year, as my brother in law had to do.

Hilarious!!

There was a General in a previous village I lived in. He had about 6 Army lackie's at his house. Their sole purpose was to look after his young grandson. Always loads of bikes parked outside the house. He had a corner plot that was ''coned'' off.

I imagine that this would of been a highly sort after position under the circumstances.

Edited by Rimkok
Would like to add something else

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, britishrepublican said:

Do your duty and stop  whinning about your obligations.  You only want the gravy from thailand without giving anything back. 

You think your better than others, you're not. 

I am doing my duty to my son by doing everything possible so he doesn't have to enroll.

Don't get me wrong if Thailand had a ''real'' military I would be more than happy for my son to join.

I never realized that Thailand was a ''gravy train'' for us foreigners. Lol. 

I don't think I am better than others, just realistic to what the Thai Military has to offer.

2 minutes ago, Rimkok said:
5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Or looking after his commanding officer's senile parents for a year, as my brother in law had to do.

Hilarious!!

It doesn't worry me you find it funny.

I see it as typical of a corrupt society where in this case there are more conscripts than they know what to do with, so the higher layers make use of them, as the conscripts have no option but to do as they're told.

Instead of reducing the numbers drafted each year, giving them more worthwhile training, they just carry on wasting public money, but that what's the government's good at.

In my brother in law's case, he was basically a cleaner, cook and care-worker for them. I remember him telling me every day they asked for exactly the same food. An hour after they'd eaten it they would complain he hadn't fed them - due to their senility.

They watched the same cartoons on the TV day after day, laughing at them as they didn't remember seeing them the day before.

He had to wash the parents and perform just about every task for them.

Still if the commanding officer can get his parents looked after for free, rather than paying, then he's going to do that if he can get away with it.

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I see it as typical of a corrupt society where in this case there are more conscripts than they know what to do with, so the higher layers make use of them, as the conscripts have no option but to do as they're told.

Instead of reducing the numbers drafted each year, giving them more worthwhile training, they just carry on wasting public money, but that what's the government's good at.

In my brother in law's case, he was basically a cleaner, cook and care-worker for them. I remember him telling me every day they asked for exactly the same food. An hour after they'd eaten it they would complain he hadn't fed them - due to their senility.

They watched the same cartoons on the TV day after day, laughing at them as they didn't remember seeing them the day before.

Still if the commanding officer can get his parents looked after for free, rather than paying, then he's going to do that if he can get away with it.

Very sad state of affairs!!

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Very sad state of affairs!!

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

Mine will take full advantage of the educational opportunities on offer from the MoD when the time is right; earning more per day than they would collect here in an entire month.

You talk out your rectum, He will get whats given to him , If he is only doing the two years expect him to be a poorly paid labourer.

47 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

You talk out your rectum, He will get whats given to him , If he is only doing the two years expect him to be a poorly paid labourer.

I'll assume English isn't your first language...

foot-in-mouth-header.jpg

Edited by evadgib

As I am think on it I seem to recall that there in another way of not going to Army.......

Most will choose not to go this route...... But when you have  'dual citizenship' you can 'renounce' your Thai citizenship.and maintain your new one..........

I don't know if he can still live in Thailand if he chose this........ Maybe under the other citizenship.............

I heard this 'option' back when I was dealing with a 'pay-off' for him a dozen years back..............

Mine will take full advantage of the educational opportunities on offer from the MoD when the time is right; earning more per day than they would collect here in an entire month.

If you are referring to the MOD UK. He has to be ordinarily resident in the UK for 5 years before applying.

16 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

So why doesn't he leave this country, that has so little to offer to young people anyhow? There is a beautiful world out there form him...

For ten or fifteen years? Not a good idea if you love your family.

Why do you live here or come here? ;-)

First what I learned was to not run away from my problems. To solve it is the better way.

And this I teached my sons too.

On 12/17/2017 at 1:45 AM, britishrepublican said:

Do your duty and stop  whinning about your obligations.  You only want the gravy from thailand without giving anything back. 

You think your better than others, you're not. 

Hang on, there's gravy?

14 hours ago, Rimkok said:

I am doing my duty to my son by doing everything possible so he doesn't have to enroll.

Don't get me wrong if Thailand had a ''real'' military I would be more than happy for my son to join.

I don't think I am better than others, just realistic to what the Thai Military has to offer.

It does have a real military, it's the most powerful in South East Asia.  Your  son is no better than any other son and should be involved in the lottery system along with everyone else.

Thailand has given you the opportunity to meet a lady and have a child. You should be grateful and willing to offer something back in the way of public service. 

Your thread is shameful, your whinning is shameful. The military will make a man out if him, instead of you making a spoilt, entitled manchild.

5 hours ago, britishrepublican said:

It does have a real military, it's the most powerful in South East Asia.  Your  son is no better than any other son and should be involved in the lottery system along with everyone else.

Thailand has given you the opportunity to meet a lady and have a child. You should be grateful and willing to offer something back in the way of public service. 

Your thread is shameful, your whinning is shameful. The military will make a man out if him, instead of you making a spoilt, entitled manchild.

Is Vietnam no longer part of South East Asia?

They use to throw some pretty serious punched to a guy named Sam.

9 hours ago, britishrepublican said:

Nope, Thailand has one of the least powerful military's in Asia. Never been in a proper war. When the Japs invaded they offered no resistance. They aspire to be better with all the talk of Submarines etc. but we all know it will never happen.

Like most foreigner's living here, Thailand has given me very few opportunities. My success has been attained outside Thailand without their help.

I don't see the Thai Military making a man out of anybody, unless you consider taking a good group beating ''making a man'' out of somebody.

My son is certainly not a spoilt entitled manchild. He is very intelligent, good at sports and confident, probably not the qualities the Thai Military are looking for anyway.

14 hours ago, snowgard said:

For ten or fifteen years? Not a good idea if you love your family.

Why do you live here or come here? ;-)

First what I learned was to not run away from my problems. To solve it is the better way.

And this I teached my sons too.

The world has changed mate, working in Australia or NZ doesn't separate you from your family in Thailand.

I live here, but I wouldn't want to WORK here, and I plan to give my girls opportunities to spend their active lives outside of Thailand.

And the above is exactly the way to solve my problem. 

17 hours ago, maprao said:

If you are referring to the MOD UK. He has to be ordinarily resident in the UK for 5 years before applying.

If any of those 5 years are before the age of 18, 21 or whenever their full time education comes to an end I'd expect a legal challenge to such nonsense to blow it out of the water at the first attempt. As yet I haven't been able to establish whether it's MoD or HMRC who came up with it. NI numbers aren't even issued until the age of 16...

Edited by evadgib

2 hours ago, Rimkok said:

Nope, Thailand has one of the least powerful military's in Asia. Never been in a proper war. When the Japs invaded they offered no resistance. They aspire to be better with all the talk of Submarines etc. but we all know it will never happen.

Like most foreigner's living here, Thailand has given me very few opportunities. My success has been attained outside Thailand without their help.

I don't see the Thai Military making a man out of anybody, unless you consider taking a good group beating ''making a man'' out of somebody.

My son is certainly not a spoilt entitled manchild. He is very intelligent, good at sports and confident, probably not the qualities the Thai Military are looking for anyway.

You clearly didn't read my post. I said south east Asia. 

On 12/17/2017 at 4:57 AM, Rimkok said:

I can speak from experiance, My son in-law had a good Job, he was stationed in the Palace with the New king, Most of his time was spent drilling and looking good,  

I have seen with my own eyes, pictures taken by him on his phone of other poor souls who have been beaten or bullied, A few have gone Awal, mainly becasue the Thai Army do not pay for the Solders Immediate family. Imagine being 21 with a young wife probably with a child, Just abandoned, The army have a Golden opportunity to teach these lads some skills, Brick laying, Electricians, plumbers, Mechanics. even if only the basics. And all of the other things Thailand could do with, Some of the lads conscripted are below average mentality . cannot read or write, again a golden opportunity missed.

10 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

I can speak from experiance, My son in-law had a good Job, he was stationed in the Palace with the New king, Most of his time was spent drilling and looking good,  

I have seen with my own eyes, pictures taken by him on his phone of other poor souls who have been beaten or bullied, A few have gone Awal, mainly becasue the Thai Army do not pay for the Solders Immediate family. Imagine being 21 with a young wife probably with a child, Just abandoned, The army have a Golden opportunity to teach these lads some skills, Brick laying, Electricians, plumbers, Mechanics. even if only the basics. And all of the other things Thailand could do with, Some of the lads conscripted are below average mentality . cannot read or write, again a golden opportunity missed.

Many thanks for you input.

The above doesn't surprise me.

Does anybody have any positive experiences they would like to share?

On 17/12/2017 at 12:50 AM, sawadeeken said:

YES............ A good question......... and I don't know..........

Best way to know is to talk to 'military offices' in each country............ 

I feel that in reality each country would have rules concerning that situation and I 

doubt that any country would 'not exempt' service to another country.......

The Thai army offers exceptions from conscription based on equivalent military service done in other armies. 

On 16/12/2017 at 11:57 PM, cyberfarang said:

Half Thais/Farlangs are also not allowed to join the Thai police force or become MPs or hold official government positions, in these cases both parents have to be full blown Thai citizens.

Not quite.

The army does not allow people to become officers if they were born to a foreign father. That rule still exists last I looked a few years ago. 

dual citizens are allowed to be MPs but there was for a time in the 90s a higher educational qualification (masters degree) put on those who where born to a foreign father.

that requirement was scrapped after a Supreme Court ruling on the matter so there is no additional barrier (above the normal requirements to be an MP) to a dual national (or specifically those born to a foreign father) serving as an MP, or I believe as minister or PM. 

Edited by samran