Half Thai, half Falang child joining the Thai Military

Rimkok

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Hello all

I can't quite recall whether here or some where else that there is a lot more options (lets say ) than drawing the lottery

Now I may be corrected on this , as it's only by memory

* If your child was to do the voluntary after school recruitment 2 yrs I think may not have to do full time army

* Child can volunteer for 6 mths full time avoiding 2 yr lottery if he gets the wrong colour 

* Also remember something along the lines that if child was to volunteer & has very good mrks at school (not sure if this is for the 6mths or after school episode ) they are able to choose what service (ie AIrforce - army ect ) they prefer 

there was a recent Thread, about very similar circumstance...

In it, I had detailed about nephew, living in Sydney, who got his Orders (mailed fromfamily in LOS) who sent the Notice down to his Mum, who's with him in Sydney.

He got out of doing Military Service - by Opting to instead do 3 Months 'service' as a Monk

7 minutes ago, dutchweller said:

<deleted> That my son will not be going in that Military..

If anything by the time he is of age we will be in my home country and he will want to join the military there..with a excellent education system and training in a modern disciplined service.

I wonder how the Thai draft treats duel citizens that have already joint the military in their western home country?

Agreed.

To answer the question in your final sentence, probably not very well!!

8 minutes ago, phetpeter said:

Thailand has one small domestic problem in the south, otherwise its a bit of a decent life in the forces here, The chances are if he is at least half intelligent he will have a great time and not be bomb magnet in the south at all. But then for you to worry about it means perhaps he ain't that bright!

On the contrary he is very bright. That is why I am worried. 

Try 4 to 5 years to get a degree, and then like another person I know another 4  year to MA and their ittle darling milked then for ten years living the life, your the career stopping MA in French language, now working as family hotel manager and in two years managed to shut down one of their two hotels.

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Join the cadets at school, but after hours. I believe that counts as service and no lottery. Most international schools have cadets.

It is also available at many high schools including government ones.

The draft age is 21 so time to get it done before then. The are exempted from the draw but are in the reserves until the age of 30.

Our son did it when he was in high school at a government high school in Pattaya (that was back in 2001)

6 minutes ago, tifino said:

there was a recent Thread, about very similar circumstance...

In it, I had detailed about nephew, living in Sydney, who got his Orders (mailed fromfamily in LOS) who sent the Notice down to his Mum, who's with him in Sydney.

He got out of doing Military Service - by Opting to instead do 3 Months 'service' as a Monk

I wouldn't be happy about that either. But at least it is only 3 months.

5 minutes ago, phetpeter said:

Try 4 to 5 years to get a degree, and then like another person I know another 4  year to MA and their ittle darling milked then for ten years living the life, your the career stopping MA in French language, now working as family hotel manager and in two years managed to shut down one of their two hotels.

That settles it then he is joining the Thai Military!!

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is also available at many high schools including government ones.

The draft age is 21 so time to get it done before then. The are exempted from the draw but are in the reserves until the age of 30.

Our son did it when he was in high school at a government high school in Pattaya (that was back in 2001)

I thought the draft age was 18. That was the age of the kid that was recently beaten to death and subsequently covered up.

4 hours ago, allane said:

Nobody is "half" anything in terms of their citizenship. Reading between the lines, I presume your son is Thai.

Yes and I hope that anyone who has children here makes sure that they have and keep up to date as many passports as possible. I have two daughters aged 6 and 2, both have French and Australian passports. Also beyond the Thai military obligations I don't see how young, active people could elect to work in Thailand when they have the opportunity to do otherwise.

What age did he join the cadets? For how long?
He joined at 15 and did 3 or 4 years. Then went off to university. I remember that we used to go and pick him up on the day he trained as he stayed after school a bit later .he used to enjoy it .

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, i claudius said:

He joined at 15 and did 3 or 4 years. Then went off to university. I remember that we used to go and pick him up on the day he trained as he stayed after school a bit later .he used to enjoy it .

Thanks for letting me know. There is no such training at my son's school after hours. 

8 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Yes and I hope that anyone who has children here makes sure that they have and keep up to date as many passports as possible. I have two daughters aged 6 and 2, both have French and Australian passports. Also beyond the Thai military obligations I don't see how young, active people could elect to work in Thailand when they have the opportunity to do otherwise.

My thoughts exactly.

School here until the age of 18 followed by a degree course and work abroad.

Thai university degrees are worthless, everybody passes. Too much ''loss of face'' if they fail. International employers know this.

This is why Thai's with money send their kids abroad to study.

4 hours ago, Rimkok said:

He has a Thai and British passport.

A few years ago they were not allowed in the military, 100% Thai only.

The rules have since changed, now they can join but not as officers.

the usual racist Asian / Thai mentality once again...smile to your face but in real treat u like a second / third class citicen ...see rules for work for stay for owning land for almost anything...racist small minded...and you write between the lines cause special treatment that you fear...a chinese friend of mine was drafted in the army was postet to a danger zone at the malay border and was shot in the hip...before that he enjoyed this special thai treatment Nazi style ...now 50 years later he still suffers the long term effect of that wound that never was treated well...and hates the thai gvntmt for what they let endure him....his whole adult life was shattered from this experience...avoid thai army / or any army at all costs...

1 hour ago, Rimkok said:

This doesn't stop the Thai military for not allowing ''Dual citizen'' kids to become officers. Seems like a racist policy to me. 

There are many Army senior officers with Dual Citizenship.

Even government ministers, like Meechai, or Prime Ministers like Abhisit.

49 minutes ago, Rimkok said:

....or 2 years at university getting a degree.

''Learn the rules and becoming a man'' in the Thai military. Lol.

What is stopping a soldier getting a half wit girl up the duff? Most of them do!

Motorbike I don't think so, I will be buying him a car.

They can draft you to the age of 30

My thoughts exactly.

School here until the age of 18 followed by a degree course and work abroad.

Thai university degrees are worthless, everybody passes. Too much ''loss of face'' if they fail. International employers know this.

This is why Thai's with money send their kids abroad to study.
Now you say that but our son speaks perfect english as he went to school in the UK for 6 years. He now works for a multinational company here in Thailand and earns actually quite a large salery for a Thai and by the looks of it in a few years will be earning a very large salery.

5 hours ago, Rimkok said:

He has a Thai and British passport.

A few years ago they were not allowed in the military, 100% Thai only.

The rules have since changed, now they can join but not as officers.

Half Thais/Farlangs are also not allowed to join the Thai police force or become MPs or hold official government positions, in these cases both parents have to be full blown Thai citizens.

10 minutes ago, i claudius said:

Now you say that but our son speaks perfect english as he went to school in the UK for 6 years. He now works for a multinational company here in Thailand and earns actually quite a large salery for a Thai and by the looks of it in a few years will be earning a very large salery.

Salary is one thing, but there are other considerations:

- Working hours,

- Annual leave,

- Pension,

- Sickness insurance,

- Location.

One should ensure a good work/life balance for himself and one's family. The conditions for that don't seem good here. I worked in Australia and Europe, it was great.

1 minute ago, KiChakayan said:

"Thai Father" is the key, man. Here it is still essential. Same discrimination when it comes to Naturalization, a Farang Husband isn't treated equally to a Farang wife.

Yes getting discriminated against in a fake army.

I think we will give that one a miss!!

2 hours ago, allane said:

To billd766 (Post # 11):

You can be a dual citizen - a citizen of two countries;

but you can't be half Thai, half British, or half any other nationality in terms of citizenship. You either have citizenship or you don't.

What happen if you are dual citizen of two countries that both have draft military service?

Salary is one thing, but there are other considerations:
- Working hours,
- Annual leave,
- Pension,
- Sickness insurance,
- Location.
One should ensure a good work/life balance for himself and one's family. The conditions for that don't seem good here. I worked in Australia and Europe, it was great.

Sorry.as its a very very large multinational he gets all of those .good working conditions.mind you he did train in a friend of ours firm for a year. A lot of it is the fact he speaks English perfectly also reads and writes it

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Join the cadets at school, but after hours. I believe that counts as service and no lottery. Most international schools have cadets.

Yes, a mate just did this for is lad, not sure just how long they have to do cadets for, it may be too late for our OP.

16 hours ago, Rimkok said:

That will do nicely sir! :smile:

Where do I pay?

Yes...... I can be done........We did it............

Not half and half.... FULL Thai ancestry...............

My Thai wife's son immigrated to the USA when he was 12........ He was in school till 18 then working in the US....... He had no intent of going to Thailand (other than visits) so my wife had her sister (still in Thailand) talk to some people in the umphur and arranged to have him declared as if he went to draw the color selection and got the color so he didn't have to go to military'.......... Thailand changes but one thing remains the same...  "money Talks".......... I don't know if you are in a city or the country (Issan) but a good start is to talk with the 'Headman' of the village...... The headman can probably learn 'where and how to do' for you (Maybe a 'Johnnie Black' for him).......

On the other hand, and mind you that YOU are the adult, If the son has a good knowledge of 'English language' he will get many promotions because of it (not being stuck in a 'trench') and land 'office jobs' and come out of the military with qualifications for the best jobs in Thailand.......... In my case the son had no intent to leave the US and no interest in living in Thailand......

By the way..... He Married a 'Thai girl' who had immigrated to (and had citizenship in) New Zealand in her youth and moved to NZ for a few years where he immigrated to NZ and now has 3 Passports and 3 citizenships, however he was born Thai and that is his ethnic origin..... So he is 'Thai'....... Not half'n'half unless you are talking about citizenship...........