Thailand to declare war on plastic bags - by charging for them

rooster59

4 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I do not think the UK thing will work, the 5p is supposed to go to charity...

Better taxing the bags at source.

Oh so you think it does not work My My do you not understand the Idea well lets try to educate you

The idea was to stop the usage and it has, go to any supermarket any day and 99% of the people who go bring their own bags and and I was one who did not, but then found out I saved money if I did so now we always put bags in the car. ready for the next shopping trip

So it did work

As for the 5p just go and check how much has been raised

But again cutting the usage was the task set and it has

So you are wrong.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Advertising flyers are delivered to my mail box :smile:.......but at this moment I feel it is prudent to accept your explanation that throwing a re-used plastic bag into the waste system is more beneficial than any alternative I have suggested. :saai:

So back to reality

Today I am cooking up Tom yum gai in the UK

Bought from a UK Supermarket

Chicken - in heavy duty plastic container with plastic wrapping

Tomato - in heavy duty plastic container with plastic wrapping

Mushrooms - in heavy duty plastic container with plastic wrapping

Brought back from Thailand

Lemon grass in light thin plastic bag

Ginger 1 kg in light thin plastic bag

Shallots 1 kg in light thin plastic bag

Well you get the idea - maybe this is not about who does it best, but rather who controls/hides it better :smile:

<deleted> we are talking about plastic bags and the damage it does to the world. AND you provide a cooking recipe! Eaten too many or smoked too many bags lately?

2 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

<deleted> we are talking about plastic bags and the damage it does to the world. AND you provide a cooking recipe! Eaten too many or smoked too many bags lately?

You highlight the real issue with the plastic bags well - people only see what they wish to see :smile:

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Chicken - in heavy duty plastic container with plastic wrapping

Tomato - in heavy duty plastic container with plastic wrapping

Mushrooms - in heavy duty plastic container with plastic wrapping

So why did you not buy the above without any wrappings

Yes they are available but its a little harder when you have to pick them up individual is it not

Hey that white container which you say is heavy duty its biodegradable I think you will find if you got from any of the big supermarkets, but if you got from a local Thai shop it Thai rubbish

I just looked at ours and that word recyclable is on it Now I wonder what that means?

Live and Learn

Edited by wakeupplease

3 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

So why did you not buy the above without any wrappings

Yes they are available but its a little harder when you have to pick them up individual is it not

Hey that white container which you say is heavy duty its biodegradable I think you will find if you got from any of the big supermarkets, but if you got from a local Thai shop it Thai rubbish

Live and Learn

"So why did you not buy the above without any wrappings"

and put them in the free supplied bags same as the Thai use - well cheaper than buying a big reusable bag I guess

12 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Oh so you think it does not work My My do you not understand the Idea well lets try to educate you

The idea was to stop the usage and it has, go to any supermarket any day and 99% of the people who go bring their own bags and and I was one who did not, but then found out I saved money if I did so now we always put bags in the car. ready for the next shopping trip

So it did work

So you are wrong.

I don't like your condescending tone, but I do agree with you on this post!

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

Last week i was in Global house buying blue pipe fittings.

I had 4 different types (only 16 pieces) everyone could fit in my hand, girl put them in 4 different bags, then put the 4 bags in another bag, bloody crazy. 1 bag was enough.

And what did you do with them when you took out the items? I bet you didn't throw them in the street. Of course you  didn't; nor would any of the farang on TVForum.

The whole idea is nonsense. This must start at school. Love your environment; love Thailand! Charging for plastic bags; dear, dear, dear. Whatever next?

Just a joke idea. Must be some money involved somewhere!

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Parsve said:

That single action is totally wrong, but let's first look at who presented the proposal at the meeting. It was the head of Thailand's largest producer of plastic bags. He said that "if we made bigger and better plastic bags and took charge of them it will make consumption decrease. Does he this because he thinks that his company earn too much or because he thinks that the environment should be protected, or because he sees an opportunity to increase the price of their product? If we then look on the actual problem, it's littering. Internationally, Thailand is considered to be among the sixs worst countries in this area. Will the Thais to stop throwing plastic bags in nature and instead put it in the dumpster because they paid for the bag? Littering is a problem, but the only way to solve this is to inform and fine, only to put a charge on plastic bags will not solve the problem.

What dumpster?

1 minute ago, sambum said:

I don't like your condescending tone, but I do agree with you on this post!

Some times to get people to user their brain you say it how it is and direct not pussyfoot about

You know what they say the truth hurts sometimes, i do not say one thing and mean another I say it if it hurts I must be telling the truth.

1 minute ago, wakeupplease said:

Some times to get people to user their brain you say it how it is and direct not pussyfoot about

You know what they say the truth hurts sometimes, i do not say one thing and mean another I say it if it hurts I must be telling the truth.

I agreed with your last post but not this one! 

2 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Sorry Sam

I do not do Pc I say it

Animals and fish life is at stake here, too much damage has been done to them all ready Time for action not useless words.

Then the answer is surely to stop at source, cease production, force people to use alternatives?

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

Then the answer is surely to stop at source, cease production, force people to use alternatives?

The alternative is reuse your bags like we do and boy when it started here I disliked it but then it made me think again about the problem so now I am all for it and unload the shopping at home, then put the bags back in the boot ready for the next time.

If I can so can others.

8 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Sorry Sam

I do not do Pc I say it

Animals and fish life is at stake here, too much damage has been done to them all ready Time for action not useless words.

"I say it if it hurts I must be telling the truth." Not necessarily.

P.S. By calling me "Sam" instead of "Sambum" you have just proved my point about your style of post writing - which I have already said - I do not like!

4 minutes ago, 473geo said:

What nonsense is this geo.

2 minutes ago, sambum said:

start with supplying rubbish bins - eggsactly!

Start with educating the Thais about looking after their environment..

2 minutes ago, sambum said:

"I say it if it hurts I must be telling the truth." Not necessarily.

P.S. By calling me "Sam" instead of "Sambum" you have just proved my point about your style of post writing - which I have already said - I do not like!

You are a bit touchy today aren't you

I shortened your name to save space on the TV server so Sambum did you have a bad night last night?

You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people never

Of course when you say rubbish bins you are suggesting something that soi dogs, rodents, birds, drunks cannot throw open to the world. Then there would be the 'recycling' guys rummaging through them to try and make a baht or two.

In the village there are a few bins, are emptied, and most people burn the rubbish the recycle guys do not want. This saves putting in bins and having nasty ant infestation.

Oh no, I can see a lot of plastic bag workers out on the streets.

I also wonder how much of the levy will somehow find its way into the Government coffers? Its just another tax that has been imported from abroad.

56 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

So it did work

So you are wrong.

I was talking about Thailand.

As for the UK, when I go shopping I often forget the bags, normally if the shop is small I will carry out the items without a bag, if a large shop i will use a trolley and take out to the van unbagged, if I have to use bags I prefer Sainsbury's, a heave duty bag for 5p.

When I do get bags they end up being used as bin liners...

1 hour ago, wakeupplease said:

You are a bit touchy today aren't you

I shortened your name to save space on the TV server so Sambum did you have a bad night last night?

You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people never

No, it's a bit like calling "Thomas" by the shortened version of "Tom" - which is alright if you know them well and they're a friend, but in our case neither applies

12 hours ago, Xonax said:

Let them charge a small amount for plastic bags, but at the same time Thailand need to get a proper recycling system in place.  Garbage Recycling plants is long overdue in Thailand, while they are investing in submarines and high-speed trains.

It is just a myth, that cotton / canvas bags are better for the environment than plastic bags.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/09/to-tote-or-note-to-tote/498557/

http://www.businessinsider.com/reusable-tote-bags-are-worse-than-plastic-2016-11

The  production  of  plastic  bags  that  are  almost  immediately  become  refuse outweighs any  critical  comment  about  re usable  products  intended  to  reduce  the  thoughtless  waste. The fact is that  any synthetic  material regardless  of  purpose   inevitiably  has  a  pollution  element both  in  production   and end of  life  utilization. No less  so  for  toilet  tissue in reality.

The benefit  of   re usable  items  in place  of   the  disposable  is  as  much in the  awareness  of the lessening  waste as  it  is  in  the  actual  reduction.

Makro overcomes  the  waste issue  not  because   plastic  bags  have any  significant  cost but  because  a  single  checkout  operator   can  process  purchases.which  saves on  employing  packers. 

If all  retailers  were to  adopt  the  same policy unless  requested  at  cost  for  a  plastic  bag then it  would  at  least  reduce  plastic  waste in  that  situation  down  to  the  plastic  wrapping  that  at  least  70 % of items  are  already  contained  in  and  cost  factored into !

14 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

It is about bloody time that this idea gets discussed and (hopefully!) implemented in Thailand; the sheer number of plastic bags in this country is both shocking and disgusting.

I am a figure of awe when I go to my local market, buy my stuff, then whip a used plastic bag out of my pocket for my purchase.

"GASP!" "Look at that!" "Wah!" "I didn't know you could do that!" "Double Wah!"

Make it five baht a bag, and watch the use of plastic bags plummet. Please.

And more to the point the little ones you get from street vendors whip one of them out of your pocket add 1 baht to the 10 or 20 ha ha see that working.