Passport & Visa expiry

I have searched the Forum for this but can't find any answers.

I need some advice with regard to the following, my extension of stay (Retirement) expires February 2018, I will renew it in early January, my Passport expires in July 2018, I have a couple of questions about what will happen with regard to Visa etc. I use the immigration office in Jomtien.

1. Will immigration give me the full year extension ?

2. As soon as I have renewed my visa I will send off for a new Passport (UK) So will I be able to transfer my new Visa to my new passport without too much trouble? 

3. Or as I fully expect to happen it is gonna open a whole can of worms and have me running around like a headless chicken, all replies gratefully received TIA. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Golden Triangle said:

1. Will immigration give me the full year extension ?

The will only issue the extension to the date your passport expires. Best to get a new passport before applying for the extension.

2 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

2. As soon as I have renewed my visa I will send off for a new Passport (UK) So will I be able to transfer my new Visa to my new passport without too much trouble? 

Apply for the passport now and they will add the time remaining on your old passport to the new one.

After getting the new passport they will transfer the stamp to you new one without a problem.

2 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

3. Or as I fully expect to happen it is gonna open a whole can of worms and have me running around like a headless chicken, all replies gratefully received TIA.

No runaround.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The will only issue the extension to the date your passport expires. Best to get a new passport before applying for the extension.

Apply for the passport now and they will add the time remaining on your old passport to the new one.

After getting the new passport they will transfer the stamp to you new one without a problem.

No runaround.

Thanks ubonjoe, I'm checking at the moment but if memory serves me correctly one can only apply for a new one with 6 months or less still on it, and with Christmas & New Year upon us I don't think it'll get back in time, I literally have about 6 weeks till my visa renewal.  

So will I have to do a complete new application once the new passport arrives or when the extension expires in June/July ?

5 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Thanks ubonjoe, I'm checking at the moment but if memory serves me correctly one can only apply for a new one with 6 months or less still on it, and with Christmas & New Year upon us I don't think it'll get back in time, I literally have about 6 weeks till my visa renewal.  

So will I have to do a complete new application once the new passport arrives or when the extension expires in June/July ?

The new passport I got for my son I applied for it on the Thursday and it was waiting for me in Trendy on Monday week less that 10 days and that included 2 weekends, I think they not to busy now I collected it last week

You can renew upto 9 months before your passport expires and the time difference will be added toy your new passport so you not lose any time renewing early

5 minutes ago, offset said:

The new passport I got for my son I applied for it on the Thursday and it was waiting for me in Trendy on Monday week less that 10 days and that included 2 weekends, I think they not to busy now I collected it last week

You can renew upto 9 months before your passport expires and the time difference will be added toy your new passport so you not lose any time renewing early

Can I do mine here then ? I thought they had to go back to UK these days, be very handy if I could do it here.

11 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Can I do mine here then ? I thought they had to go back to UK these days, be very handy if I could do it here.

Can be done here but only in Bangkok and they send it to Liverpool when completed it is then delivered for pick up in Bangkok it is not done in the Embassy but in a building called Trendy

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

There is no maximum time remaining to apply for a new passport. The UK will add up to 9 months of the validity remaining on your old passport to the the new one when issued.

You apply for the passport in Bangkok at the VFS visa center at the Trendy building. 

Application info is here: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Average time to get the passport is 2 to 3 weeks.

If you don't get a new one now you will have to apply for a new extension when the shortens one ends. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, offset said:

Can be done here but only in Bangkok and they send it to Liverpool when completed it is then delivered for pick up in Bangkok it is not done in the Embassy but in a building called Trendy

Thanks offset, I know Trendy, we had to go there for the Mrs visa to UK a few years back.

19 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

You apply here:

UK Visa Application Centre
The Trendy Office Building,
28th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,
Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana
Bangkok
Thailand

Email: [email protected]

All the info you require is here, https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

• Thanks 1

You can renew your passport anytime, the only restriction is they will only transfer a maximum of nine months life to your new passport therefore anything over nine months is lost. Plus if in Pattaya they have an approved agent (Keyvisa) for a price of course, my new passport was returned in ten days, went to immigration and they transferred everything needed, no fee. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Golden Triangle said:

Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone, One last question, do I have to make an appointment as we did for the Mrs visa app or do I just complete the application form and turn up with the forms, photo's and fee ?

Need to make an appointment giving 3 different times

• Thanks 1

Just now, Golden Triangle said:

Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone, One last question, do I have to make an appointment as we did for the Mrs visa app or do I just complete the application form and turn up with the forms, photo's and fee ?

Yes, you need to make an appointment. The last time I did it I had to email three dates and times and they confirm the appointment by email.

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

You can renew your passport anytime, the only restriction is they will only transfer a maximum of nine months life to your new passport therefore anything over nine months is lost. Plus if in Pattaya they have an approved agent (Keyvisa) for a price of course, my new passport was returned in ten days, went to immigration and they transferred everything needed, no fee. 

Be aware that the Key Visa site says that you cannot wear your specs for passport photo. The gov.uk site says that you can 'wear reading glasses'. Dunno what happens if you are short sighted!

• 2 weeks later...

Similar Issue... Can Posters help me?.. I have a new Passport (Australian) issued a couple of weeks ago as the old one is expiring and my Non I'm O retirement visa expires 28th Jan 2018. At the moment I am carrying the expired Passport with my Non Imm O retirement stamps in it and a brand new Passport with no stamps at all. The old Passport has a stamp in it which recognises it is canceled and issued with the Numbers of the new Passport.. Apart from that all I have is a receipt issued by AUS embassy BKK.

Should I visit the Immigration office now in Burriram to transfer stamps or just sit it out until I apply for the next extension Non I'm 0 retirement Visa which is only a few weeks away anyway.

Can I carry two passports, one expired with the current Thai Visa in it, and still be legit?

Thanks' in advance for replies!

10 hours ago, Thaifish said:

Similar Issue... Can Posters help me?.. I have a new Passport (Australian) issued a couple of weeks ago as the old one is expiring and my Non I'm O retirement visa expires 28th Jan 2018. At the moment I am carrying the expired Passport with my Non Imm O retirement stamps in it and a brand new Passport with no stamps at all. The old Passport has a stamp in it which recognises it is canceled and issued with the Numbers of the new Passport.. Apart from that all I have is a receipt issued by AUS embassy BKK.

Should I visit the Immigration office now in Burriram to transfer stamps or just sit it out until I apply for the next extension Non I'm 0 retirement Visa which is only a few weeks away anyway.

Can I carry two passports, one expired with the current Thai Visa in it, and still be legit?

Thanks' in advance for replies!

I believe your on an extension of permission to stay based on retirement, not a Non Imm O Visa.

What date does your old passport expire?

What date does your permission to stay expire?

Edited by Tanoshi

You are correct guys I am on an extension to stay based on retirement 3rd time around. My extension expires 28th Jan. My old passport which is now canceled would have expired August 2018. I know I can apply for the new 1 year extension 30 days before expiry of the current one which is only a couple of days away...But new year holidays and grid locked traffic to get to Burriram Immigration is putting me off doing it. If I just hang out and do not transfer the stamp until later in Jan what is the consequences? Do not get me wrong  I am one to keep things in order. If I should transfer the stamp now I will do it if I could face issues with a renewal. If I leave it a few days then I can also apply for the extension at the same time as I will be within the 30 days allotted for renewal. However I will be facing major traffic on Highway 24 which like I said is a real pain in the bum. I would much rather leave it until mid Jan just for convenience and the New year chaos is over. So question again what is maybe the consequence's knowing every Immigration place has their one rules also.. 555.

Thanks for reply's again in advance.

29 minutes ago, Thaifish said:

So question again what is maybe the consequence's knowing every Immigration place has their one rules also.

There will be no consequences having stamps transferred and applying for your extension a few days before your current extension expires. It is unwise to leave it until the last day (or very nearly so) just in case the immigration office hits you with some unexpected requirement, but there is no regulation that makes early extensions any better than last minute extensions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As original OP and following up on this thread with my experience first hand. Maybe help others (or confuse)? First up thank you to those who have replied. Transfer of Extension of Stay from my old Passport which was expiring to a new Passport issued from Australian Embassy BKK was not an issue even after close to 4 weeks of receiving the new Passport. The one which had all the stamps in it was canceled by the AUS embassy on receipt of new Passport obviously.

Interesting though even though I only had 22 days left on my extension of stay in the canceled Passport it was transferred to the new Passport. The reason  it is interesting to me is that I was also at the Immigration applying for my next extension of a new one year Non Imm O Retirement Visa. (Um my thoughts Canceled Passport got me around not that it was checked an Immigration didn't blink an eyelid with it being canceled/renewed anyway so why worry transferring a stamp seeing there is going to be a new extension of stay stamp in it anyway..I just ponder the reason..) Took up 2 pages of stamps in Passport not that that was an issue.

One page in the new Passport was also taken up with a stamp showing the original Visa Retirement application date.

On a side note I read that the UK and US folk and maybe many other countries are required to show a letter from their embassy showing the cancelation of  Passport to Imm.. every applicant is different.. My AUS Passport which was canceled had a simple stamp in it which recognized the new Passport numbers as a replacement. No letter was required.

My Extension of Stay Retirement was done through Burriram Immigration and have never had an Issue dealing with them.. A good job done. Thanks again to the posters for your help. 

How easy is it to transfer Extension of Stay from old passport to new?* My E of S was done at Cheangwattana, so presumably the transfer of stamps has to be done at Chaengwattana, and not at Chamchuri Square.

* Is there a form I need to download?

4 minutes ago, samtam said:

How easy is it to transfer Extension of Stay from old passport to new?* My E of S was done at Cheangwattana, so presumably the transfer of stamps has to be done at Chaengwattana, and not at Chamchuri Square.

* Is there a form I need to download?

Easy to do at Chaeng Wattana.

Form: Transfer Stamps To A New Passport

Every place and every Person is different but I did not have to provide any form to transfer my stamps to my new Australian passport. I Just put the two Passports on the table with a bit of explaining and it was done. Fill the form out with ubonjoe's link and let us know what they do with the form  in your case. Burriram Imm are good with processing and I am not familiar with Changwattana Imm. As mentioned earlier my old passport even though canceled had a stamp in it recognizing the issue of the new Passport which was done on receipt by the Aussy Embassy BKK.

A quick update for all those that may be interested, I turned up at Jomtien immigration for the afternoon session to get stuff transferred from my old passport to my new one, I had all the paperwork (or so I thought) :smile: Beware of the guy with 3 pips on his shoulder, on the front desk he is the epitome of Mr Grumpy, I showed him all my paperwork, completed letter from embassy, photocopies of everything, letter from bank and copies of 2 bankbooks etc etc.

He threw 3 forms at me, one of which was the application for an extension of stay that I had already completed, the other was a direct copy of the embassy letter but in Thai and English (and a very shoddy copy I have to say) and the other was the declaration that you sign when everything has been done. So I filled in 1 form, the embassy letter copy, got back in the queue and eventually got my number.

Fortunately there were only 4 people in front of me so the wait wasn't too long, sat in front of the nice young lady who went through all my stuff, she then explained that to transfer visas from one passport to another takes 2 days ??? She gave me all my paperwork back, kept my passports and gave me my collection number and said " come back on Monday and collect your passport from me, then we can do your retirement extension, unfortunately I will want to see money going into your bank on Monday so please do that and get your passbook updated and copied before you get here" I mean, talk about jumping through hoops !!!! Luckily my Mrs said don't worry I will put some money into your account :smile:

What is the matter with these people, why do they make life so bloody awkward, so now I will trot down to Jomtien immigration office on Monday, and no doubt have to go back again on Tuesday to collect my extension (if I get it) nothing is guaranteed in this madhouse :biggrin:

Edited by Golden Triangle

18 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

What is the matter with these people, why do they make life so bloody awkward, so now I will trot down to Jomtien immigration office on Monday, and no doubt have to go back again on Tuesday to collect my extension (if I get it) nothing is guaranteed in this madhouse

Wherever you lay your hat.