Applying for Tourist Visa - Hull Consulate now in PERSON. London Embassy for Post Applications?

Hull is still doing tourist visas but in person only. The by post option went away about 4 years ago. Info here: http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/

The embassy in London will also do a tourist visa in person or by post.

Info for doing it by post is here. http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/visa-by-post  Average turnaround time is about 5 days.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Hull is still doing tourist visas. Not sure where you heard they were not doing them.

Info here: http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/

The embassy in London will also do a tourist visa in person or by post.

This:

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/pdf/tourist-visa-single-entry-2017.pdf

And this now tells me the London Embassy is wanting applications 'in-hand' which means the same thing as in person.

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/pdffile/visa_standard.pdf

8 minutes ago, mitsubishi said:

Isn't there any more to do than just the one application form? I remember having to fill in medical declarations, financial declarations as well as the main application form.

Or have the embassy scrapped all that?

I have never heard of those being needed for a tourist visa application.

At this time all that is needed is the application form and your passport for a single entry tourist visa at the embassy. And pay the fee of course.

See here for info: http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/types-of-visa#section2

2 hours ago, mitsubishi said:

Isn't there any more to do than just the one application form? I remember having to fill in medical declarations, financial declarations as well as the main application form.

A medical certificate, proof of funds and a criminal record check are only required for a Non Imm O-A Visa application.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

A medical certificate, proof of funds and a criminal record check are only required for a Non Imm O-A Visa application.

Unless you're over a certain age when all you have to prove is that you're alive!  No medical, financial proof or anything else!

For Single Entry Tourist Visa you only need a completed one sided application form, including 2 passport sized photographs, the visa fee (currently £25, in cash only), and of course your passport. 

Living in London I always go in person to the Embassy in Kensington. There is an efficient queueing system by ticket, although wait time depends on time of year, number of applicants, etc.  In my experience the Embassy always has a window dedicated for submitting visa applications (and sometimes opens a second one in times of high demand). Submission times currently between 9 - 12 on weekdays, with details of days closed for public holidays shown on the website. http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/embassy-holidays

You can collect your passport the next day between 11 and 12 (or any day thereafter , but just between 11 and 12), with minimal queueing.  So all very quick and easy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mitsubishi said:

Buddy, forget Hull. Just deal with London. If you don't get what you need there, you aren't getting it in the UK at all.

14 hours ago, HHTel said:

Unless you're over a certain age when all you have to prove is that you're alive!  No medical, financial proof or anything else!

13 hours ago, SunsetT said:

That is for the non-imm 'O' visa not the 'O-A'.

6 hours ago, HHTel said:

Sorry, my mistake.  I know it's for a non-o

Even for a Non Imm O you either have to be married to a Thai, or 65 and in receipt of a state pension.

They stopped issuing them for being over 50 a couple of years ago.

You're absolutely correct.  I said of a 'certain age' and that is 65.  Anybody of that age is getting some sort of benefit.  My mother does not get a state pension but gets supplementary benefit.  That is all she has to show when she get's her annual non-o in Hull.

15 minutes ago, mitsubishi said:

Does it have to be cash in the envelope with the application?! Or will a postal order made out to the Thai Embassy be accepted?

It should be paid using a money order for the visa fee and return postage unless you send a pre paid postage envelope.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It should be paid using a money order for the visa fee and return postage unless you send a pre paid postage envelope.

@ubonjoe

May I respectfully disagree with you as I have JUST TODAY obtained a new SETV from the London Embassy.

I spoke to someone at the embassy before I sent my application who said I could send a Self-addressed Special Delivery Return Envelope OR £10 cash  at my choice

Hopefully the following will help a few people:

Costs

Single Entry Tourist Visa                                                      £25 Cash - I could have sent a Postal Order if I had wished to
Return postage                                                                       £6.45 (I enclosed a Self-addressed Special Delivery Guaranteed 1PM envelope)
Cost to send application Special Delivery Guaranteed    £6.45
                                                                 Total                        £37.90

Procedure I followed, sending the following:

Passport
Application form
£25 Cash
Self-addressed Special Delivery Envelope for the return of the passport

2 passport-sized photos

All sent to Thai Embassy on Wednesday 13th December
Passport with Visa received back  Tuesday 19th December  (I collected it from the sorting office the following day as i was out when it arrived)

As an aside and merely "FYI" using a prepaid Special Delivery Guaranteed envelope for the return, as well as being very slightly cheaper, allows you to see exactly when the passport is in the post back to you - as long as you remember to note the Tracking Number, of course.

VBF

Edited by VBF

4 minutes ago, VBF said:

@ubonjoe

May I respectfully disagree with you as I have JUST TODAY obtained a new SETV from the London Embassy.

I spoke to someone at the embassy before I sent my application who said I could send a Self-addressed Special Delivery Return Envelope OR £10 cash  at my choice

I think you need to read Joe's reply again.

Which is the same as paying for return post OR supply a pre paid postage return envelope.

Just now, Tanoshi said:

I think you need to read Joe's reply again.

Which is the same as paying for return post OR supply a pre paid postage return envelope.

No....UJ suggested that you must send a Money Order for the visa fee.

My point is that you can send CASH or Postal Order for the visa fee - it's your choice.

On 12/19/2017 at 5:21 PM, KevinG54 said:

For Single Entry Tourist Visa you only need a completed one sided application form, including 2 passport sized photographs, the visa fee (currently £25, in cash only), and of course your passport. 

Living in London I always go in person to the Embassy in Kensington. There is an efficient queueing system by ticket, although wait time depends on time of year, number of applicants, etc.  In my experience the Embassy always has a window dedicated for submitting visa applications (and sometimes opens a second one in times of high demand). Submission times currently between 9 - 12 on weekdays, with details of days closed for public holidays shown on the website. http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/embassy-holidays

You can collect your passport the next day between 11 and 12 (or any day thereafter , but just between 11 and 12), with minimal queueing.  So all very quick and easy.

I've been to the London embassy half a dozen times and it's not efficient. Once you've waited for your ticket to be called, you then have to wait again just for a damn receipt. A few times I've had to pop out to top up the parking meter. I did the application by post last time - so much easier.

Unless it's urgent, then my advice is to do it by post.   

• Like 1

Ok, just sent off the application. I made a mistake though, not a big one (I hope, but a mistake).

I was supposed to write my name and passport number on the back of the money postal order and forgot to do so (I did it all in one go at the post office).

Anyone know how much of an issue this will be?!

14 minutes ago, VBF said:

No....UJ suggested that you must send a Money Order for the visa fee.

This is what I wrote. There is difference between must and should.

It should be paid using a money order for the visa fee

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

This is what I wrote. There is difference between must and should.

I quite agree but (with respect after all the help you give us, myself included) currently the  London Embassy site says here: 

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84398-Visa-fee.html 

**For application by post, visa fees are payable in pound sterling (£) in cash or postal order made payable to the Royal Thai Embassy.**

However I took your comment to mean that Postal Order is the preferred option, whereas I read what the embassy site says as pretty much  "Cash or PO - up to you with no preferance"

Sort of down to semantics though, isn't it?

Edited by VBF

4 hours ago, VBF said:

I quite agree but (with respect after all the help you give us, myself included) currently the  London Embassy site says here: 

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84398-Visa-fee.html 

**For application by post, visa fees are payable in pound sterling (£) in cash or postal order made payable to the Royal Thai Embassy.**

However I took your comment to mean that Postal Order is the preferred option, whereas I read what the embassy site says as pretty much  "Cash or PO - up to you with no preferance"

Sort of down to semantics though, isn't it?

I must admit that I tend to send cash through the post when only small sums are involved. That said (and what the embassy are willing to accept notwithstanding) the general advice is not to send cash by post because of the risk of pilfering. Thus @ubonjoe's use of the word "should" does conform with what is usually recommended.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

I must admit that I tend to send cash through the post when only small sums are involved. That said (and what the embassy are willing to accept notwithstanding) the general advice is not to send cash by post because of the risk of pilfering. Thus @ubonjoe's use of the word "should" does conform with what is usually recommended.

I  certainly agree with that, and yes for large amounts I wouldn't send cash but for £25 I'm not too bothered. Having said that, I'd be far more upset if the passport was pilfered than the money!

Anyway, after all this debate, as i said in post id 20, I sent cash, it all worked and we've all aired our opinions.

Ain't TV wonderful! :smile:

On 12/19/2017 at 4:54 PM, baboon said:

Buddy, forget Hull. Just deal with London. If you don't get what you need there, you aren't getting it in the UK at all.

Rubbish, if you do not live near London then for SETVs Hull, Liverpool etc are perfectly fine.

I done two SETVs this year at Hull in person, either go by road easy to find Priory park or jump on the train, come out Hull station and cross the road, outside shopping center jump on the park & ride bus that takes you to Priory park (about £2.80 return, 15 min journey) dead easy, download up to date form and fill it in to save time, fee and two pics + your passport (normally in/out in 30 mins) or yeah go London and back a day later...? Good luck with that lol