Ford Ranger

would be very interested to learn from any Ford Ranger owners out there whats the average fuel consumption like. Both in city and open road - long distance driving

Mine is a 4x4 , average 1l = 9.5 km

never exceed 110 km/h, mix city, open roads

Soon for sale !!

would be very interested to learn from any Ford Ranger owners out there whats the average fuel consumption like. Both in city and open road - long distance driving

How old is your beast, at that consumption there is something wrong (assuming it's diesel)!

I have a new 2007 Ranger XLT 4x4 3.0Tdi (just 3000k on the clock), does 12-13k / L buzzing into BKK from Pathum Thani every day, I have a HEAVY right foot (it sees 110k twice per trip, once when accelerating, once when slowing)!

Not done any really long trips, but running down to Hua Hin pushed to nearer 14+.

How old is your beast, at that consumption there is something wrong (assuming it's diesel)!

I have a new 2007 Ranger XLT 4x4 3.0Tdi (just 3000k on the clock), does 12-13k / L buzzing into BKK from Pathum Thani every day, I have a HEAVY right foot (it sees 110k twice per trip, once when accelerating, once when slowing)!

Not done any really long trips, but running down to Hua Hin pushed to nearer 14+.

it is a 2001.........I am so jealous to see your consumption....might be something wrong with my "beast" (never saw it as a beast before)

2003 4x4 and i dont know the figures, but my fuel consumption REALLY sucks!

I do however have a VERY heavy right foot, and am doing 150kph at every oportunity, and the turbo is either open or the brakes on in traffic. I do all city driving in it in Bangkok for work, with many expressway stints.

In my Escape i get about 240km/tank in the city. Thats a 3L V6 with Auto. Country driving i get about 370/tank. I would definately be interested to see what other Escape drivers get.

it is a 2001.........I am so jealous to see your consumption....might be something wrong with my "beast" (never saw it as a beast before)

Mine is a December 2001 model 4x4 double cab Ranger 2.5 turbo with about 145,000 km on the clock.

I just had a new radiator last week as the old one started weeping along the top seam. I have had 2 batteries and 1 steering problem on the front nearside, and 1 set or Michelin tyres replaced at about 120,000km in 5 years. Reliability is over 99% and I am very happy with it.

My average is about 9.5 km/pl which is not too bad considering that is does not have the commonrail engine that the new models have.

If I had some spare money I would but the new Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 3.0Tdi auto as I am getting a bit old now. Just short of 900,000 baht.

I have looked at the rest and there is not another pickup that I like the look of.

Edited by billd766

I bought myself a New Ranger 3.0 XLT - short version - just before X-Mas and immediately took it on a maiden tour upcountry: 4.500 km in 10 days along the Myanmar and Laos border from Mae Sot to Nakhon Phanom and - to put it short - the car is just great!

- endless torque which allows overtaking in smallest windows (it just pushes and pushes!);

- no engine rattle which would indicate driving a diesel (all smooth & silky);

- good interiors and built quality in general (it's still a 730.000,- Baht Ford - no Porsche!);

- very good handling and suspension (for a pick-up, I like it a little stiffer anyway);

- and a decent fuel consumption (in my experience between 8 and 10 l per 100 km);

Surely it could be less - but remember the power engine! The 2.5 will certainly be more fuel effecient and attract all those who care about this more than I do.

If you don't want to be a grey Vigo mouse (a very good car - but so boring in all its looks) or a fancy Mitsu follower (I looks good - but all feels a little cheap) I can really recommend the New Ranger. I only hope it's as solid as the old Ranger over the years ...

I have a new ford ranger 5 months old. 2 wheel drive. 2.5 xls.

I've check the fuel consumption on most fill ups. And regularly get 15km/l. Sometimes a little better. Most of my driving is between Bangkok and Hua Hin - plus long trips up country. I rarely drive into the city, I prefer to stay in Bang Kae and take a cab.

Ford had the reputation for using a lot of fuel. Now that they have greatly improved the efficiency, they are still suffering from their previous reputation. If you talk to the Thai people up here in the boonies, the first thing you will hear is; "Gin nam mun mahk mahk". There is no changing their minds.

• 2 months later...

I live in Laos and just drove a Ford Ranger 2.5L 4x4 4 door that has 11,000km on it and thing got just barely more than 8km/litre. Is this normal? I am planning to buy another one for my project, but I am worried about the fuel efficiency. How does this compare with the Toyota Hilux Vigo or similar model of Nissan? I drove at an average of about 90km/hour because a lot of slowing down to get around tractors and animals walking aound on the "highway". People in my office said that the truck should be getting something like 20km/litre. Is this true?

I live in Laos and just drove a Ford Ranger 2.5L 4x4 4 door that has 11,000km on it and thing got just barely more than 8km/litre. Is this normal? I am planning to buy another one for my project, but I am worried about the fuel efficiency. How does this compare with the Toyota Hilux Vigo or similar model of Nissan? I drove at an average of about 90km/hour because a lot of slowing down to get around tractors and animals walking aound on the "highway". People in my office said that the truck should be getting something like 20km/litre. Is this true?

I'd suggest that the Ranger has a problem although it could be poor fuel quality (bio perhaps?). Even the old thirsty 2.5 should get 10+.

My new 3.0L TDi 4x4 is getting 12+ even more when my (somewhat timid) wifey drives it :o The Vigo is reportedly a bit better, but fuel economy was not top of my list when I bought the Ford (I don't like the styling of the Vigo).

Let me state again that the difference between the current (new) model and the ones that came before it is *HUGE*.

[ Note that this applies to the Mazda model equally; they're the same cars. Everywhere where you read "Ford" you can replace 'Mazda'. The only difference is in the options, like more Ford models have airbags. ]

Note that the previous model had a choice of two engines, the 2.5L Turbo and the 2.9L non-turbo. Basic cargo-haul models also had a 2.5L non turbo.

Most likely on a previous model 4WD 4 door you would find the 2.5L Turbo, which has more power for highway driving, is quieter and is just as reliable as the 2.9. However, fuel consumption and low-end torque are *ATROCIOUS* by second millennium standards.

I DO however have all of you beat on that model. One time, in the cool season where I didn't run the aircon, where I mostly drove on empty ring roads but limiting myself to 60-70 km/h, rolling out for miles before traffic lights, refusing to brake unless there was absolutely no other way to avoid an accident or hit a granny doing a swerve, and up-shifting before the turbo kicked in, I once managed just over 12.5 kms per liter!!! (Standing ovation pls.) :o

But seriously, for these reasons (fuel & low end torque), I cannot recommend anyone to buy a previous model Ford/Mazda with the 2.5 Turbo engine. Below 1800 rpm it drops as dead as a gecko caught in a door post.

Indeed from the posts here as well as specs posted by Ford it really seems that these two issues have been taken care of with the new, modern common rail engine.

Now what I'd really like to know (and perhaps would like to start a new topic on) is how the mileage compares between the current model pick-ups, the latest iTeq Isuzu (2.5 and 3.0), the Vigo D4D (2.5 and 3.0) the new Ford/Mazda, the Mitsubishi (esp. the ridiculous 3.2L engine) and the latest Nissan Navara. New topic?

(I am however NOT trading in my Ford Ranger as it's incredibly reliable and at this point in time I'd lose too much on depreciation).

(Anyone looking for a CHEAP pick-up though I think the Ford 2 models ago, the Marathon, especially the latest year it was produced, would make an EXCELLENT vehicle for the money. Noisy of course, but cheap, strong and reliable)

2003 4x4 and i dont know the figures, but my fuel consumption REALLY sucks!

I do however have a VERY heavy right foot, and am doing 150kph at every oportunity, and the turbo is either open or the brakes on in traffic. I do all city driving in it in Bangkok for work, with many expressway stints.

In my Escape i get about 240km/tank in the city. Thats a 3L V6 with Auto. Country driving i get about 370/tank. I would definately be interested to see what other Escape drivers get.

your fuel consumption sucks and you're asking for pity?

change your driving style.

these 150kph guys are anyway a main danger on the roads.

The thing that rangers and fighters have going for them though is that you can pick up a 2005 or early 2006 open cab model for 360,000 baht. Is there anything we can compare them to in this price range? You could get a 2002 high mileage toyota tiger d4d but would it be worth it?

> I may look into a used truck someday but it would need to be MUCH less than 360,000 Baht.

So get a Ford Marathon pick-up. Should be around 150K - 180K for a 'Cab' model in good shape. (2 door, but with small bench behind)

(And why a Ford Marathon: Because locals have WAY elevated desires for Isuzu and Toyota, even ancient clunkers of those brands still command sky high prices. Better pick a Ford, or Mazda, perhaps Mitsu. But why Ford specifically: Because they tend to be more likely to NOT have been used to haul serious cargo. Then just get the latest model Marathon, in good state of maintenance and you still spend about 160-170K or so. Still major money for an old truck, but consider that if you just take care of it it then won't significantly depreciate further; i.e. you're still selling it for close to what you paid for it.

Edited by chanchao

If you have a lot of patience sometimes exceptional deals come along. A few years ago I was looking for a pick up truck but the second hand prices were the same as now, totally crazy. I answered an ad in the Pattaya paper and found a Toyota for 160,000 baht. I went and looked at it and I was amazed. It was in beautiful condition with very nice alloy wheels and low mileage. I think it had 65,000 kilometes on it and had service records from the day it was new. A farang had bought it new. Why was it so cheap? The farang special ordered it with a gasoline engine and no one was interested in a truck with a gasoline engine. I ended up buying it for 140,000 baht. It was a good vehicle and I drove it for a year or so with no problems. A farang friend of mine always wanted to buy it. I finally sold it to him for 160,000 baht and he was VERY pleased. He eventually gave it to his girlfriend's father.

Older vehicles can't handle LPG...we looked into that for our old Toyota and it turns out that LPG gas erodes the engine very quickly and you'll eventually be dropping a new one in there. If you can use LPG, it sure is a cheap way to drive around! The newer cars can handle it just fine.

chanchao...I checked the Thai website called one2car.com and they had a few of those Marathons you mentioned. You're right about the price range and the ones I looked at (mid to late 1990's) didn't look all that bad for older vehicles. One was from Krabi but I believe all of the ones listed were for sale in Bangkok. A lot of those tent dealers advertise on those sites and my brother-in-law says those tent guys are notorious for rolling back the odometers plus with labor so cheap I wonder how many things (interior, panels, etc) they can replace to cover up any mechanical or body problems. Can't be the prices though...all less than 200K Baht.

> A lot of those tent dealers advertise on those sites and my brother-in-law says

> those tent guys are notorious for rolling back the odometers plus with labor so

> cheap I wonder how many things (interior, panels, etc) they can replace to cover

> up any mechanical or body problems.

True. Though for older vehicles you're more looking at the overall state of maintenance than the odometer, which will have (or can be assumed to have had) a considerable number on it no matter what.

You'd want to drive it, and have someone with proper knowledge look at the vehicle. Most things can be fixed cheaply, but obviously you don't want a vehicle that's been completely smashed up. :o (Though it's hard to hide when it's been completely smashed up, you'd notice it driving, or driving behind it while someone else drives it, or the knowledgeable person would spot it.)

Also I don;t think those car-tents would be higher risk than any other place/person selling cars, with the possible exception of the first, original owner selling the car. . But that again is less likely with older cars, though if you find one, go for it.

Edited by chanchao

A few weeks ago, we were going through Ban Phu near Udon on the way home, the missus asked Bro in law to stop at her mothers sisters car sales place, there was a repainted Mazda pick-up 2 seater that looked ok, i thought this would be ideal for farm and general stuff, so while missus was talking i had a look over it, after 10 mins i found these faults, the gearstick was like a cock in a sock, floppy!! the handbrake came right out of the dashboard, it had 64000 ks on clock {yeah right!! } the steering wheel moved 3in either way before wheels moved, underneath, at the back, all the spring hangar bushes and shock absorber bushes we shot to bits, there was a broken coil spring on the front, 1 trye had the wire showing, and the throttle cale was frayed down to the last 3 wires,the battery posts had makua growing on them, with engine running, i took out air filter, there was a distinct popping in the intake, suggesting a valve problem or worse, so i thought this has got to be a snip, asking the price, {being a family member } he told me 100,000bht nearly 1500 quid!!! it was 16 years old as well!! my advice before buying S/H is to get the advice from a qualified falang mechanic to give it a good look over, Good luck !!!

> qualified falang mechanic

Because all most Thai mechanics are no good or cannot be trusted?

There are some good ones, but few and far between :o

Used cars here are 10000 times worse than elsewhere, I've seen some real obvious wrecks up for silly money. Ever tried to get a test drive??

> qualified falang mechanic

Because all most Thai mechanics are no good or cannot be trusted?

There are some good ones, but few and far between :D

Used cars here are 10000 times worse than elsewhere, I've seen some real obvious wrecks up for silly money. Ever tried to get a test drive??

Has been covered elsewhere but the reason is: Repairs are cheap. Time is cheap. That makes ancient beaters a lot more attractive than back home. TIT - buy a new car, then take advantage of the insanely high resale value :o