Norwegian man assaulted after noise complaint at Pattaya bar

webfact

7 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

No one deserves a beating. Losing one's cool is just a symptom of inferior genetics. However, when I move into a neighborhood I usually make sure that it meets my standards of living. 

Point 1: If this guy moved in before the bar ever opened up, then he should have known better. (still doesn't deserve a beating)

Point 2: If the bar opened after he moved in then he is in another predicament. And, could he have called on the BIB's for help?

I think, as others pointed out, that he should have sent his fairer sexed partner.

Seems Norwegians are getting in all sorts of problems over noise lately... wasn't the guy who turned off a Thai's motorcycle Norwegian?

once a Viking always a VIKING

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today it´s a party! Just getting better and better. I wasn´t ready with the earlier post about Pattaya, but noe it shows itself like the solid top resort again.
They should close the whole city, util people running business and generally living in the city are stable and not overdrunk so they know how to respond with more than violence as soon as somebody say something they not like.

It´s really starting to be the absolute backside of this country.

8 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

With his "companion" being Thai, maybe it would have been better had he gone over, and requested the music to be lowered ?

It looks like another cowardly attack by Thais in numbers. 

No, his companion is a ladyboy,it won’t make a difference and he might ends up like his boyfriend 

2 hours ago, TKDfella said:

I am not aware of any noise abatement law in Thailand, though I will stand corrected if other posters say there is. People have parties where the music is very loud, music blasts out from the local municipal field. I suppose there might be some kind 'guide rule' for local establishments (such as not allowed after midnight) but since I have never been to any of these I really don't know. My point is that complaining about excessive noise here is probably going to get no attention at all.

As for the beating, of course that is simply 'not on' as they say and charges should be given...but somehow I doubt it.

I've known of a similar case personally where the neighbors got up a petition and took it to City Hall and got a noisy bar closed down. It was a concerted effort with repeated complaints.

With his "companion" being Thai, maybe it would have been better had he gone over, and requested the music to be lowered ?

Would have been better to call the police to make a complaint and come to investigate the issue....

not to "front" the staff personally..

we all know from past history where asking someone to tone down the noise gets you!

5 hours ago, nahkit said:

Point 1: If this guy moved in before the bar ever opened up

Point 2: If the bar opened after he moved in then he is in another predicament

Opposites? Can you run that by me again?

It is quite simple

Point 1: If the guy moved into his house before the bar was an established business there

Point 2: If the bar was not an established business until after he moved into his house.

Two entirely different set of circumstances

They are opposites

Anyone can see that even in the first post of it

"It looks like another cowardly attack by Thais in numbers."

Nothing unusual in that, sadly. 

25 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

I've known of a similar case personally where the neighbors got up a petition and took it to City Hall and got a noisy bar closed down. It was a concerted effort with repeated complaints.

Yes I have seen this too, but my post was really about an individual. Nevertheless, I agree with you that if one can get others to help a petition it is probably the best way to go so thanks for that reply. Going to a bar single handed is not a good idea...as the OP has shown.

until this is stops my trips are on the hold.

this is just ludicrous. you beat up someone for asking you to lower the level of music. people should not be allowed to take laws in their hands. what is the police and the judiciary for if people are going to settle matters in this barbaric style.

9 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

No one deserves a beating. Losing one's cool is just a symptom of inferior genetics. However, when I move into a neighborhood I usually make sure that it meets my standards of living. 

Point 1: If this guy moved in before the bar ever opened up, then he should have known better. (still doesn't deserve a beating)

Point 2: If the bar opened after he moved in then he is in another predicament. And, could he have called on the BIB's for help?

I think, as others pointed out, that he should have sent his fairer sexed partner.

Seems Norwegians are getting in all sorts of problems over noise lately... wasn't the guy who turned off a Thai's motorcycle Norwegian?

I think I know what you are trying to say but Point 1. does not say what you meant it to.  The way you wrote it they are the same!!!   But I agree with what you meant to say, (I think.) 

7 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Because they hail from rules-based societies. They tend to follow rules and expect others to do so. This is particularly so for Scandinavians.

Thais hail from a hierarchical society where nobody follows rules but they do adhere to orders coming down the hierarchical structure.

This is one reason, and a considerable one, why a disproportionate number of Scandinavians (lovely people that they are) make incredibly bad decisions in Thailand and other non-rule-based societies.

While it is true that Scandinavians have learned to follow rules (sensible ones). Come on! Americans/Canadians are well know for lining up for buses, to go into bars WITHOUT complaining. Of course, Americans will break rules if they can get away with it (which shows how much ethics is being taught). (Americans' foreign affairs shows again how loose are their morals and ethics... especially if there is a buck to be made.) We are generalizing, but that should not let you off the hook. Sorry. Women tend to follow rules no matter, but I could be pegged as sexist (even though it is the truth) ... IN GENERAL.

A better society, culture, country would be one that would be able to analyze itself and improve upon itself. That would involve all countries. People improving themselves. AHAHAHAHA! I know. I am an idealist. With all the egomaniacs running around, everyone is perfect.  :sleep: Thais too, of course. 

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

It is quite simple

Point 1: If the guy moved into his house before the bar was an established business there

Point 2: If the bar was not an established business until after he moved into his house.

Two entirely different set of circumstances

They are opposites

Anyone can see that even in the first post of it

Where does the word 'established' appear in the post I replied to?

8 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Because they hail from rules-based societies. They tend to follow rules and expect others to do so. This is particularly so for Scandinavians.

Thais hail from a hierarchical society where nobody follows rules but they do adhere to orders coming down the hierarchical structure.

This is one reason, and a considerable one, why a disproportionate number of Scandinavians (lovely people that they are) make incredibly bad decisions in Thailand and other non-rule-based societies.

Yeah right.. 'farangs' heading to the likes of Pattaya and Phuket for beer, Thai 'girls/ not girls', and heady night-after-night-life, are just the sort who 'follow rules', ya reckon, yeah?? 

7 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

And to complain about anything in Pattaya is beyond reasoning. If you want peace and quiet do not move to a 24/7 party city. Maybe try Phichit....

Last time I was in Prasat, a small city south of Surin City, about 15 miles east of Prasat city, out in the rice paddies, WOOF!

My wife's aunt had died. Funeral next door. Speakers half the size of my house BLARING as loud as they'd go. The wife did get them to shut down 11:00 PM to 5:00 AM.

That lasted a week.

Right after that, a wedding kicked off down the road about 100 yards & the speakers were moved down there for a week.

What a nightmare...

6 hours ago, malibukid said:

low self esteem, i was thinking today why most Thai woman that i try and initiate a conversation think instantly that i want to sleep with them.

Maybe you have got it arse backwards.....

most thai women I initiate conversations with, think I want to sleep with them, because they have high self esteem.... being as I’m all kinds of hansum

if your not so hansum, perhaps only women with low self esteem are in your bailiwick ????. 

5 hours ago, punchjudy said:

I've seen quite a few of these confrontational old farang in pattaya.

I'm not surprised he got wacked.......the locals are just living their way of life and some "mad dog" foreigner comes over trying to stop it.

same as the swiss guy and the motorcycle.

Honestly, do you believe the falang is always wrong?

9 hours ago, chuang said:

Why are farangs prompt to complain about noises, soi dogs, barkings, loud music etc etc etc.....you know all these things happen in thailand and why still come here..:passifier:....there are many places besides thailand....

Wonder whether other foreigners did the same....i doubt so...

You make an excellent point.

So, I hope this is not seen as Off Topic and some Mod just delete it without a mention........

(Oops, what did I just do....)

When I first rented an apartment in Spain, the first night was interesting.

Folk were living, including having a row, or barking Mutts! Kids doing their thing etc etc.

For a moment I was shocked, but then (as you say) I realised that this WAS IT!

My choice, love it or fight it.

Well, I decided to love it, it showed me that I was alive at the very least!

After that - I didn't notice noise or irritation.

My choice saved my life, cos now, when I visit Thailand.....

Quieter that Spain LOL

Ho Ho DILLIGAF!

(My Aussy friends will understand this)

12 hours ago, isaanbanhou said:

lie down with dogs and wake up with fleas. 

If he didn t want the fast life, he would have been in Isaan with a wife.    

Don't be so sure about Isaan. You can get a huge amount of noise there too. Moved to a quiet soi in a town far away from the bright lights of the big cities. The small noodle shop open only during the day for a few hours turned into an open night club just a few meters from my front door. Owners are a thuggish family with plenty of high connections among the lowlife. Moving as soon as the lease is up if not before . . .

7 hours ago, malibukid said:

i was thinking today why most Thai woman that i try and initiate a conversation think instantly that i want to sleep with them. 

Because, in their culture, a man "of means" does not generally speak in the friendly manner we Westerners do, to a lady who is not "of means."   You treating a non-wealthy lady "as an equal" is perceived by her as a great compliment - as a love-interest expression on your part - what else could it be (from her perspective)?

"Esteem" is one way of seeing this - but this word does not carry the correct meaning in this context.  They view themselves to be in the "not of means" category - due to cultural conditioning - while still respecting themselves in other ways that a Western lady with "no self esteem" would not. 

13 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

However, when I move into a neighborhood I usually make sure that it meets my standards of living. 

Point 1: If this guy moved in before the bar ever opened up, then he should have known better.

Point 2: If the bar opened after he moved in then he is in another predicament.

Late night venues look abandoned and serene during the day. That's why its always wise to visit the area you are going to live in during off hours and random times during a couple of weeks before deciding to buy or rent. I once was going to purchase a residence and noticed that late night, all sorts of drug dealing went on and that the traffic was ungodly during rush hours during the week. Would never have known if I had just made one or two visits during a weekend for example.

37 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

Don't be so sure about Isaan. You can get a huge amount of noise there too. Moved to a quiet soi in a town far away from the bright lights of the big cities. The small noodle shop open only during the day for a few hours turned into an open night club just a few meters from my front door. Owners are a thuggish family with plenty of high connections among the lowlife. Moving as soon as the lease is up if not before . . .

And just imagine if you had the misfortune of owning the place where you live!