Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Is it possible to get a car loan with Thai guarantor in CM without a work permit?

lordblackader

I'm looking to buy a pickup truck in Chiang Mai with a personal loan that will have a Thai guarantor but I don't have a work permit. 

Before everyone goes nuts, I've looked at years worth of posts here, some say you can only get one if you have a work permit, others swear blind that they've gotten one on a retirement visa with provable income coming into a Thai bank. 

I have provable income coming into Thailand from an outside source AND my Thai Mrs has a good credit rating and would be fine for being a guarantor on a loan. There's no nice way of saying this - I want it in my name if I'm paying for it just in case she should happen to leave me at some point, although obviously I could get the truck in her name tomorrow with a loan in her name. 

100,000 deposit minimum (can do slightly more), looking to buy a 400-600k truck, diesel, 4 door, new or used, preferably 2014 or later with airbags. 

Has anyone managed to do it before without a work permit? Can you recommend a decent finance company who is happy to deal with farangs or even a car yard who can make it happen? 

Thanks

It is possible, but just take posession of the truck after everything is OK with the finance company. I heard that many times the dealer gave the car to the buyers after just completing the loan  application and paying the down payment, to later come with more requirements.

On 12/20/2017 at 7:43 PM, DGS1244 said:

Legally a foreigner cannot get loan in his/her name, without work permit. Had same problem in Chiang Mai and had to pay full amount in cash in the end. 

Care to provide a source of proof for this statement? 

I purchased brand new Hilux off the show room floor on a tourist visa by putting 50% down financed through Kiatnakin bank in Patts with no guarantor.

Kurt

Archived