Trump threatens to cut aid to U.N. members over Jerusalem vote

webfact

7 hours ago, VillageIdiot said:

Yes, Trump certainly does have testicular fortitude.

It reminds me of the old limerick about the girl from Dundee who was raped by an ape in a tree .

"...the result was most horrid,

all balls and no forehead,

with a long flowing yellow goatee."

Merry Christmas ,Village Idiot:passifier:

10 hours ago, chuang said:

Why is the world crying about Jerusalem...China claims almost all the South China Sea and the world keep numb...:shock1:

Because there's no need to compare a complex false foreign and manupulated confirmation to sovereignty of a mainly  atheist nationalistic population in the only common center point of the 3 Abrahamic religions with a simple and innocent need to advanced Chinese aquaculture...

3 minutes ago, Thorgal said:

Because there's no need to compare a complex false foreign and manupulated confirmation to sovereignty of a mainly  atheist nationalistic population in the only common center point of the 3 Abrahamic religions with a simple and innocent need to advanced Chinese aquaculture...

I'm sure you thought you had a clever point there somewhere.

:coffee1:

All those saying that the USA are independent as regards oil and fuel and no longer need the rest of the world are missing a trick. The clear goal of the USA for decades has been to use as much of the worlds oil and gas as possible and to conserve every single drop of home grown oil. The reason being of course that when the Saudi and Russian wells dry up the USA will be left with the dominant supply of fossil fuel energy in the world and can control where it is exported to and demand whatever price it wants. For the US to use the assets it is most prizing would be something the Government would hate. There is a plan.

1 minute ago, Andaman Al said:

All those saying that the USA are independent as regards oil and fuel and no longer need the rest of the world are missing a trick. The clear goal of the USA for decades has been to use as much of the worlds oil and gas as possible and to conserve every single drop of home grown oil. The reason being of course that when the Saudi and Russian wells dry up the USA will be left with the dominant supply of fossil fuel energy in the world and can control where it is exported to and demand whatever price it wants. For the US to use the assets it is most prizing would be something the Government would hate. There is a plan.

I am not necessarily pro-Israel, but the Palestinian side has lost most of my sympathy since their cause started to be mainly defended (or should be say 'hijacked') by Islamic extremists, especially in recent years. Also, the fact that controversial and authoritarian leaders like Erdogan are staunchly defending the Palestinians also has caused me to lean more towards the Israeli side.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, JemJem said:

I am not necessarily pro-Israel, but the Palestinian side has lost most of my sympathy since their cause started to be mainly defended (or should be say 'hijacked') by Islamic extremists, especially in recent years. Also, the fact that controversial and authoritarian leaders like Erdogan are staunchly defending the Palestinians also has caused me to lean more towards the Israeli side.

In short, you're pro Israel...

1 hour ago, Andaman Al said:

Except that the USA has vastly increased its production of oil and gas due to fracking. It imports relatively little petroleum now.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, pegman said:

Well the bullying worked, on Togo. Along with other world powers Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Marshall Islands, Guatemala, and Honduras. 

With abstention also has worked on their two b...bossum buddies - one across the Tasman and one on their border. 

Edited by Roadman
bum is a bit to much
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Roadman said:

With abstention also has worked on their two b...bossum buddies - one across the Tasman and one on their border. 

Pathetic display of gutlessness by Trudeau. Once again reinforcing my life long determination to NEVER vote for the Liberal Party of Canada. 

56 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

Well what a blow to the USA. Trump and Haley just isolated the USA beyond all belief. Israeli foreign minister now calling for the UN to be removed from Jerusalem. 128 against the USA, 9 for and the rest - 35 abstentions. Take a look at the screen shot below. The only ones in agreement are tiny nations obviously dependant on funding, the only largish nation was Guatemala, the rest are all Islands. Some of those who abstained will face serious grief from their people.

Now we see how toxic Trump has been when the USA's strongest NATO allies have voted against the USA. I never thought I would live to see the day. Trump has destroyed US credibility.

5a3bf808ec713_ScreenShot2017-12-22at1_00_58AM.png.ae271a41acd5c71e931638d674ec0b90.png

Interesting to see what will happen now, especially as Israel want the UN out of Jerusalem and Trump is a vindictive SOB (Presidentially used term). IF Israel boot the UN out then a complete trade embargo by just about the rest of the world could take place. If the US really does cut aid then they may well be required to get their military to leave various sovereign nations. Trump has just played straight into China and Russias hands. You couldn't make this stuff up..............or could you?? Get to it Mueller before the damage is irreparable. 

The honourable thing would be for Trump to pull out of the Security Council after this humiliation.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, doggie1955 said:

What America needs to do is pull out of the U.N. and move the U.N. to a different country.

I would actually suggest the UN be reformed without the big 5 having vetoes. Move the HQ to Switzerland. The Organisation would be better without Gangsters standing over the World

4 out of the top five recipients of US aid voted for the resolution: Egypt, Afghanistan, Iraq, and Jordan.

Once Trump carries through on his threat - and he is, after all, a man of his word - ISIL and the Taliban will be erecting statues in his honor. Well, they would if their version of Islam permitted it.

GO TRUMP!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pegman said:

Well the bullying worked, on Togo. Along with other world powers Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Marshall Islands, Guatemala, and Honduras. 

Guess that belittling them countries would be absent from your post had they voted against the USA's position.

Edited by Morch

13 hours ago, Morch said:

There are no ongoing peace talks. There were meeting held by Trump's negotiation team with both sides and regional players, as preparation for formulating and presenting a peace plan. Not a whole lot of details as to actual outcomes of these meetings or the supposed peace plan.

Trump's announcement did nothing good for relations with the Palestinians or regional players. Whether or not the outrage and the Palestinian response were merited, can be debated. What is sure is that it was no bright diplomatic move, even if some try to portray is as such (along the lines of shock and awe).

There are a whole lot of fiery words tossed about, and as usual, Trump is mostly making things worse with his responses. That said, I do not think that there is another game in town at this point, no acceptable alternative sponsor, and not as much actual interest getting into this quagmire. So unless things change dramatically (and considering it is the Middle East and it is Trump...so not impossible), everyone will vent while waiting for the Trump administration to present its peace plan.

Doubt it would lead to a productive result, but that's not saying much considering nothing much was going on anyway.

Oh right. Thanks for the info. I'll have to look it up on the 'net' since I've forgotten the actual location and history at that point. Was there a UN ruling on This?

@Andaman Al

I think it is more of a blow to Trump. Not the first time the USA is being outvoted in the UN, but previous administrations didn't go into drama queen mode over it. Isolated beyond all belief? It's a UNGA vote, lacking any binding effect. If some imagine (or even hope) that by itself, it would imply a major change in international politics, guess they are in for a disappointment. That it continues the trend Trump's "foreign policy" set in motion, is a given.

I don't know that governments of countries who abstained would face "serious grief" from their people. Perhaps that depends on what passes for "serious grief" in the minds of some posters. Doubt it is of a major public importance in most cases.

Israel does not currently have a Foreign Minister (Netanyahu holds this post in tandem with the Prime Minister role), so not sure which which call to "remove the UN from Jerusalem" is referred to in conjunction with the current vote. There was such a call aired by one of Netanyahu's ministers, a few months back, with the Netanyahu and Israel's Ministry of Foreign Affairs rejecting the notion.

8 hours ago, pegman said:

The honourable thing would be for Trump to pull out of the Security Council after this humiliation.

Posters wet dreams aside, does the same reasoning apply or was applied to any country's position voted down? Any UNSC member's position being voted against by the UNGA?

6 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

I would actually suggest the UN be reformed without the big 5 having vetoes. Move the HQ to Switzerland. The Organisation would be better without Gangsters standing over the World

Suggesting things is easy, explaining how things would work or offering realistic alternatives is harder. Does the above imply that all nations would have an equal say on all matters? Should the weight of small, or even tiny, countries such as those ridiculed in previous posts be identical to that of larger countries and superpowers? Considering superpowers and even smaller countries cannot be easily (or at all) compelled to act against their own wishes, how would the change suggested address things better? And, of course, nothing in the above actually relates to bloc voting or superpowers leveraging their influence and might.

32 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Oh right. Thanks for the info. I'll have to look it up on the 'net' since I've forgotten the actual location and history at that point. Was there a UN ruling on This?

What was the UN ruling on what?

45 minutes ago, Morch said:

Israel does not currently have a Foreign Minister (Netanyahu holds this post in tandem with the Prime Minister role), so not sure which which call to "remove the UN from Jerusalem" is referred to in conjunction with the current vote. There was such a call aired by one of Netanyahu's ministers, a few months back, with the Netanyahu and Israel's Ministry of Foreign Affairs rejecting the notion.

Correct, it was the early hours of the morning! It was actually this chap.

Michael Oren, Israel’s deputy minister for diplomacy, called for Israel to cut its ties with the UN and expel the organisation from its Jerusalem offices.

“We must evict the UN from the scenic Governor’s House, where its bloated staff does nothing, and give this historic site to a school, a hospital or – best yet – a new US embassy.”

On 12/21/2017 at 8:54 AM, kawika4058 said:

I agree the US should pull out of the UN, have it moved somewhere else. We should all so cut  our foreign aid to all Arab country who take our money then vote against us.  Why are giving money to terrorist states in the first place? They have been abusing our generosity for far too long. If they don't need us, we sure as hell don't need them.

America GIVES money to Russia too. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_foreign_aid

17 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

Correct, it was the early hours of the morning! It was actually this chap.

Netanyahu pretty much gutted Israel's Ministry of Foreign affairs, so while there 2-3 deputies running around spewing nonsense (plus the doofus of a UN ambassador), most of their statement are related to currying favor with their base (in most cases, not even on a national level, but intra-party).

As an aside, there are those identifying the location of the building mentioned as the Hill of Evil Counsel. Seems fitting somehow.

• Like 1