Easiest way to stream movies from Synology Diskstation to a Smart TV ?

North

Hello,

I hope, someone can help me with this:

I have a Synology Diskstation DS214+ with lots of videos and movies on it, and I would like to watch these videos and movies on a Smart TV.

Until now I have been using a Google Chromecast ( version 2 I believe), and for most movies, it is working, including the english subtitles.

But some movies won't play (for example coded in H.265 or having sound in DTS) using Chromecast.

But if I just want to watch these movies on my PC, there is no problem. VLC media player seems to be able to play everything, you throw at it.

I don't mention the Smart TV, I am using now, simply because I am going to buy a new one very soon (a 4K model, I think).

So, what is the solution to this problem, is it buying a set-top box connecting to a TV via HDMI, buying a TV that can use VLC media player or ??

I am not very technical minded, so I would prefer a solution, that does not force me to read endless pages of technical stuff.

Many apps on a smart TV will be able to play movies from a NAS, VLC, Kodi etc. Synology probably has an Android app to access the NAS.

Put Kodi on smart TV and point it at your NAS, it will find movies, create a library, play across the network.

Sounds like you want to keep it simple.

If you are only watching on one TV and not interested in having a portable library on many devices then a decent TV box and Kodi will handle your library from content stored on your NAS. It will also sort out your DTS and other sound problems.

Before allowing library apps to view your NAS make sure your files are named and organised correctly. Applications like Kodi will read these organised files create a library and track what you have watched.

The Kodi Wiki has good info on the all important naming of files and folders for TV shows movies and music.

1 hour ago, maxpower said:

Sounds like you want to keep it simple.

If you are only watching on one TV and not interested in having a portable library on many devices then a decent TV box and Kodi will handle your library from content stored on your NAS. It will also sort out your DTS and other sound problems.

Before allowing library apps to view your NAS make sure your files are named and organised correctly. Applications like Kodi will read these organised files create a library and track what you have watched.

The Kodi Wiki has good info on the all important naming of files and folders for TV shows movies and music.

Three answers till now, and thank you for that.

maxpower, you understood pretty well, what I would like to do.

Can you or others recommend "a decent TV box", because I have seen, there are so many for sale, and is it possible to buy it in Thailand ?

I haven't read about Kodi yet, I assume  it is software to be installed on the TV box?

And can Kodi handle this H.265 seamlessly ?

And subtitles too, I always use subtitles because of hearing problems.

I cant help with Android/Kodi box brands because I have always used Kodi under Windows or Linux at my TV's. There are lots of posts here about boxes if you look back I am sure someone will help you find a decent box.

You will not have many problems with subtitles or video formats under Kodi. Like VLC, Kodi will pick up subtitle files if named correctly.

Sony smart TV's tend to get better reviews for the 'smart' side of things, as it's android - but an external box is also a good option with usually better support and updates.

I've used and still have a minix x8-h, but have now moved on to the Apple TV 4k ( stream from my synology) - which you can get thru Lazada.

With the Apple TV, you can use the app Infuse which will play any format - just point it at your Synology folders - i'm using NFS sharing over 5gHz wifi no issues.

43 minutes ago, coops said:

Sony smart TV's tend to get better reviews for the 'smart' side of things, as it's android - but an external box is also a good option with usually better support and updates.

I've used and still have a minix x8-h, but have now moved on to the Apple TV 4k ( stream from my synology) - which you can get thru Lazada.

With the Apple TV, you can use the app Infuse which will play any format - just point it at your Synology folders - i'm using NFS sharing over 5gHz wifi no issues.

Interesting points, I will have a look at Apple TV 4K too, I won't be buying this month anyway, since I will go on a small New Year holiday very soon.

On 22/12/2017 at 1:09 PM, North said:

I have been reading about the Minix NEO U9-H, it looks like it is what I need for watching movies.

Dolby and DTS license is included, so no problems about sound.

I found a review here:

https://www.cnx-software.com/2017/03/01/minix-neo-u9-h-media-hub-review-part-2-android-6-0-firmware-kodi-17/

I think your biggest problem will be the format the movies are stored.

If it is an MKV format ( container ) then most media platforms will have a problem with it.

The most popular media platforms for a smart tv ( Kodi and Plex ) have issues with MKV.,

25 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

If you have no problem viewing the content on your computer, why not just stream it thru your computer to your TV. All you need is the cable.

I have thought of that too, but since my desktop computer and the TV are not in the same room, it would require a very long HDMI cable, which, I think, will mean, that the video quality will be degraded, and besides, you will need to leave the TV and walk to the computer room, if you want to stop the stream, a bit inconvenient, I think.

But a solution might be to buy a new computer and place it beside the TV, that will do the job too.

21 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I think your biggest problem will be the format the movies are stored.

If it is an MKV format ( container ) then most media platforms will have a problem with it.

The most popular media platforms for a smart tv ( Kodi and Plex ) have issues with MKV.,

I think you are right, some of the MKV movies I cannot play, so maybe it is better to buy a computer and place it beside the TV, as I just wrote in another post ?

VLC Player seems to able to play everything thrown at it.

Just now, North said:

I think you are right, some of the MKV movies I cannot play, so maybe it is better to buy a computer and place it beside the TV, as I just wrote in another post ?

You can convert the MKV files to MP4, and then you will be able to play them.

3 minutes ago, North said:

Or you can buy a Windows box instead of an Android box, so you can install VLC player on the box.

Having a PC next to the TV is overkill and bit inconvenient imo.

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

You can convert the MKV files to MP4, and then you will be able to play them.

Yes, I suppose, that is possible, but it seems not easy to do. I have tried to use "Handbrake", but the results are not good.

It seems, that to convert video files you first need to get some knowledge about the subject, and I guess, I am not that interested in all that technical stuff.

I haven't found other programs, that can easily convert videos with a good quality.

20 minutes ago, North said:

I have thought of that too, but since my desktop computer and the TV are not in the same room, it would require a very long HDMI cable, which, I think, will mean, that the video quality will be degraded, and besides, you will need to leave the TV and walk to the computer room, if you want to stop the stream, a bit inconvenient, I think.

But a solution might be to buy a new computer and place it beside the TV, that will do the job too.

HDMI cable has very little signal loss.  You could also set it up for wireless a signal. Also, when streaming from the computer, your TV screen is your monitor and a wireless mouse can be used.

16 minutes ago, North said:

Yes, I suppose, that is possible, but it seems not easy to do. I have tried to use "Handbrake", but the results are not good.

It seems, that to convert video files you first need to get some knowledge about the subject, and I guess, I am not that interested in all that technical stuff.

I haven't found other programs, that can easily convert videos with a good quality.

This would be a good choice as it has the best of both worlds.

http://en.chuwi.com/product/items/Chuwi-HiBox.html

• 2 months later...

The answer for me is quite simple - I can’t check this for you, as I’m waiting for my new TV to arrive ..

I am sure, in the past, i had rare times when tv files wouldn’t play because of the format, but DS Video asks you if you would like to play them in VLC player, then it opened the stream in VLC for you.

It certainly does on my iPad when streaming from the Synology NAS and I’m sure it happens with the TV. You shouldn’t have to re encode.

I was running a cheap MX Box, with Kodi, DS Video and VLC installed, but didn’t use any file over 720.

I’m awaiting delivery of a Samsung smart TV which I’m hoping will run DS Video without a steaming box.

Owning a Synology NAS is amazing isn’t it? Can I ask what wifi router you are using?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Just to add that while Sony gets some kudos for keeping their "smart" software fairly up to date, even their best OLED TV is reviewed as having a horribly underpowered chip running the android TV system... and they'll be using the same underpowered chip in next years tvs it seems.

A Minix box and MXplayer will play pretty much any format - but the Apple 4k TV is available now, use Infuse myself on one from my synology and it plays every format.

ps It's worth getting a free 'Trakt' account - this will keep a watched status on all your shows, so you can for instance keep Plex and Infuse in sync for status etc (not all players will support trakt, but plex, infuse do and i'd be stunned if Kodi didn't also) and also if you change player etc any time ( or even move Android to Apple etc).

pps recom273:-   i'd recommend an Asus router ( the more expensive the wider wifi coverage you can expect, so depending on house or condo etc buy to suit...) - reason is most (check first) Asus routers include VPN client capability - note not vpn server... the CLIENT means you can setup your wifi to always connect through a paid for VPN connection, or just your Synology if you prefer... which is very handy and recommended fo you use the DSget torrent capability in Synology.

ppps the other reson to get an external box, apart from superor hardware and software updates, is privacy. You can then opt to NOT connect your Samsung tv to your internet at all... or if you do have a read of this first

https://www.consumerreports.org/privacy/how-to-turn-off-smart-tv-snooping-features/

Probably depends on the TV?

My Samsung UA55K5500 has an embedded Synology App. (DS Video?) and my Synology NAS simply shows up on the source list. Both are connected to the same LAN via wired ethernet (the TV also supports WiFi).

I guess you could run DS Video on an attached Android box?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.synology.dsvideo&hl=en

16 hours ago, recom273 said:

The answer for me is quite simple - I can’t check this for you, as I’m waiting for my new TV to arrive ..

I am sure, in the past, i had rare times when tv files wouldn’t play because of the format, but DS Video asks you if you would like to play them in VLC player, then it opened the stream in VLC for you.

It certainly does on my iPad when streaming from the Synology NAS and I’m sure it happens with the TV. You shouldn’t have to re encode.

I was running a cheap MX Box, with Kodi, DS Video and VLC installed, but didn’t use any file over 720.

I’m awaiting delivery of a Samsung smart TV which I’m hoping will run DS Video without a steaming box.

Owning a Synology NAS is amazing isn’t it? Can I ask what wifi router you are using?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I like the synology NAS, when you have two harddisks with the same content stored on them, it would be rather unlikely, if they both fail at the same time.

So I feel secure, that my personal documents and photos are safe.

Right now I use a standard router from 3BB. Wifi is not too important to me, I prefer wired connections, so I use a Zyxel Gigabit switch to connect my computers to the Synology.

A few weeks ago I bought the Minix NEO U9-H, I paid 5500 Baht, and I am happy with the way it is working.

So now I only need a new TV, and it need not even be a Smart TV, as long as it has HDMI input.

A few weeks ago I bought the Minix NEO U9-H, I paid 5500 Baht, and I am happy with the way it is working.

So now I only need a new TV, and it need not even be a Smart TV, as long as it has HDMI input.

So, are you running DS Video and VLC on the Minix (which is android right?)

So, when a file is incomparable with the Synology app it gives you an option to play through VLC?

I only ask about your router, I was told by the company who sold me the NAS that should also have a gigabit port, mine doesn’t, so i guess I’m creating a log jam somewhere.

Thanks all, this is all good, i am awaiting the arrival of my new Samsung, the previous poster is running DS Video from the samsung App Store, i presume, should all be good.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived