Can a Thai have triple citizenship?

I was born in Greece but my parents migrated to the US when I was very young and for the most part I consider myself American.

My wife is Thai  and has become a US citizen for a few years and holds both an American passport and a Thai passport. 

We own  Homes in both the US and in Thailand.  For the past few years, we have being vacationing in Greece where we have friends and family, and we are now as I am approaching retirement age considering  purchasing a home at one of the Greek islands that we love to visit. It was proposed to me that since I was born there , that I apply for a Greek passport, and a Greek ID to expedite the process and so that I would have some medical coverage while we are there, and that as soon as my wife is eligible she also should apply for  Greek citizenship  . ( before doing so we will of course consult a lawyer for both emigration and tax issues) but I started to research the issue on my own so that I know what to ask when the time comes..

Upon my research , if I understand what I read correctly, it came to my attention that Thailand does not allow Dual citizenship  (never mind triple citizenship), which comes as a surprise  to me, as my wife has being leaving the US with her US passport and  enter Thailand with her Thai passport thus not needing a visa and staying there as long as she likes and never had a problem. Many of our Thai friends here in the US also have both passports and do the same.

So, what gives??? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no law that states a Thai cannot have more than one one nationality. You will find a lot of misinformation about it on the internet that should be ignored.

There are many Thais that have dual nationalities and I suspect there are some that have multiple nationalities.

Thank you all for that prompt reply ,

as I said we never had an problem with my wife's dual citizenship

, I was surfing the web looking for info on the triple citizenship issue, and came upon a list of countries that allow dual citizenship (Thailand was not on it) and a list that do not allow (Thailand was on it) , and the there was a list of countries that allow but with provisions.

And I was surprised because as I said we, and many of our Thai friends hold dual citizenship and have not experienced any issues for many years. 

I married my Thai wife and shortly after immigrated her Thai son at age 12.....5 years later the Thai wife gained US Citizenship and since the son wasn't 17 yet he also gained US Citizenship.... Now 2 Passports/Citizenship.....

He was in High school and Met his Thai wife who was visiting a girl in his high school class and she was a Thai who had immigrated to New Zealand as a child similar to him coming to the US...... They kept in touch and later she came again to the US and within a month were married....... I thought that I would be doing paperwork once again to immigrate her..... But Wrong..... She talked him into moving to New Zealand where 'Her' family was...... They had 2 lovely daughters there and soon he had New Zealand  Citizenship..... Now 3 passports/Citizenship...Now a couple years ago they moved to the US permanently and the Thai wife has Thai, NZ Citizenship and has now applied for US Citizenship........ 

Another good example for you.......... GOOD LUCK and many years of happiness for you and the wife......... 

Edited to add.... After high school the son was still duty-bound by Thai Citizenship to appear for Thai Military service (Which would horribly disrupt his life) so my wife paid some folks in Korat to fix-it-all-up for about 20 or 30 thousand baht....... and we all lived 'happily ever after'....

Edited by sawadeeken
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Strictly speaking dual citizenship is not legal for Thais. It only causes an issue for westerners who have Thai citizenship if the immigration asks where is the American visa. They don't question Thais. 

On 24/12/2017 at 8:19 PM, Purdey said:

Strictly speaking dual citizenship is not legal for Thais. It only causes an issue for westerners who have Thai citizenship if the immigration asks where is the American visa. They don't question Thais. 

Strictly speaking, you are wrong.

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Purdey said:

Read it and weep. 

Typical misinformation from a website, there have been several examples of dual, triple and even quadruple citizenship's in this thread alone. Under the Thai Nationality act, there is no mention that a Thai citizen can OR cannot hold more than one nationality, probably by design.

Under the latest version of the act, as has been mentioned, it is not possible for a Thai citizen by descent to lose their Thai citizenship.

If you go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand page:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21483-Frequently-Asked-Questions-(FAQs).html 

About half way down the page it states:

Can I apply for a Thai e-Passport if I am already holding a foreign  Passport?
-Yes, if you are a Thai national, you may apply for a Thai e-Passport.  However, many countries will not recognize dual citizenship. Therefore, you may be required to give up other nationalities before you can apply for a Passport from that country.

Therefore not only does it recognise foreign passport holding, it allows them to get an e-passport.

Dual nationality is perfectly acceptable to the Thai authorities.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I know that topic is getting old now but I will bring it up because I hope I can find a good answer so I can ease my mind...

I was born in Switzerland, My mother is from Thailand, my dad is fromy Italy. So I already have dual citizenship, Thai and Italian.

Since I have lived here in Switzerland for so many years (and I call it my home), I have chosen to officially become a Swiss citizen. But I do not want to give up neither of the two I already have.

I have read some answers here but most of you were talking about states like the U.S. , New Zealand, etc. 

Does any of you have any experiences (or know someone with the right informations) about two states in Europe involved. I know Switzerland and Italy do not really care how many passports you have but I am not sure about Thailand.

What do you think?

11 hours ago, Anissa said:

What do you think?

Thailand will never know how many passports you have, neither will they care.

Just don't flash them in front of an immigration officer. 

It's not like there's an international data.... 

• 3 years later...

Hello everyone. 

I hold both French and Thai citizenship. Born in Bkk   form a Thai mother and a French father. We moved back to Paris almost right away.

My dad was working for a French company and was mostly working abroad as an expat (central America, Guatemala, Mexico where we lived for about 3 years) and then Spain for 12 years (Madrid) where i spent all my school years mostly, until high-school graduation (in The Lycee Francais de Madrid, so French education system).

After more than 10 years in Spain, when i was 18 yo, i was proposed the Spanish citizenship too (almost automatically actually...). I didnt take it because Spain had fullly entered Europe Union already at that time (90"s), so it di not feel necessary to me then, to be able study and work in other european countries easily. So that would have been 3 passports for me without a problem. So given certain specific conditions, there is no issue in holding multiple nationalities as (an also) Thai citizen. Cheers

On 4/23/2019 at 1:36 PM, Anissa said:

Hi, I know that topic is getting old now but I will bring it up because I hope I can find a good answer so I can ease my mind...

I was born in Switzerland, My mother is from Thailand, my dad is fromy Italy. So I already have dual citizenship, Thai and Italian.

Since I have lived here in Switzerland for so many years (and I call it my home), I have chosen to officially become a Swiss citizen. But I do not want to give up neither of the two I already have.

I have read some answers here but most of you were talking about states like the U.S. , New Zealand, etc. 

Does any of you have any experiences (or know someone with the right informations) about two states in Europe involved. I know Switzerland and Italy do not really care how many passports you have but I am not sure about Thailand.

What do you think?

There are some countries that do specifically not allow dual or triple citizenship. Germany, for example, does not allow triple citizenship, but allows dual. My daughter has triple with one being German (so, we just didn't mention one of the others to the German consulate and everything goes along just fine). It seems the U.S. doesn't care about triple passports at all.