Motorbike helmet campaign aims to make Bangkok a model city

snoop1130

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why are they wasting their time. Thais will do whatever they want to do. You cannot discipline them. And if the riders want to risk their life then let them. They harm no-one but themselves.

Your statement "They harm no-one but themselves" is that far from being accurate it is not funny.

What about the parents that ride the bikes wearing helmets and carrying 3 children without helmets, in an accident it is the children that are going to die or get injured, and the children cannot stand up for themselves

3 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Australia tried that and they spent a fortune in advertising but it was not until they increased the fines and hit the people in their pockets that the message finally got through to the idiot drivers.

It appears to me that the Thai people themselves have no respect of the law or of human life, they do not value the importance of safety on the road like other countries do.

Unfortunately things will not change here until you get the people to value and respect human life.

I see it every day where the parents are riding a motorbike and they are wearing helmets but they also have 3 children on the bike with them that are not wearing helmets, so I ask myself "do those parents love their children, why do they place their children in an unsafe situation like that".

It is past time for the government to kick some asses and show some respect for all the Thai people and make the RTP get off their asses and get out on the roads and make the roads a lot safer and charge any officer who puts his hand out for tea money with corruption

How about we join forces

a six month graphic campaigne to forever burn the need for safety into the public’s mind, thus mentally preparing them to accept the need for change, which will likely, as you say, only happen thru vicious attacks on the hip pocket.... forewarn about stiff penalties and demonstrate the need.

Mind you, I do agree that it was the fines, not those adds (Australian), that changed my driving habits.... it’s a mindset that needs addressing, thru whatever means possible.

3 minutes ago, farcanell said:

How about we join forces

a six month graphic campaigne to forever burn the need for safety into the public’s mind, thus mentally preparing them to accept the need for change, which will likely, as you say, only happen thru vicious attacks on the hip pocket.... forewarn about stiff penalties and demonstrate the need.

Mind you, I do agree that it was the fines, not those adds (Australian), that changed my driving habits.... it’s a mindset that needs addressing, thru whatever means possible.

If only we could join forces and go and kick some asses in Bangkok and get them to do something about valuing all the peoples lives and not just those in Bangkok

6 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Ahh... the latest crackdown.  Wasnt it seatbelts a few months ago... thats gone.  Before that lane changes... thats gone.... before that talking on mobiles.... thats gone.

Statistical analysis proves that the average life expectancy of a crackdown in Thailand is about 12 days.

12 days.....you exaggerate nearly as much as the Thai Govt!  :smile:

"Aims to make Bangkok a model city "  

I had to read that sentence a few times. It will never happen .

I just arrived from Hanoi city , Vietnam . Almost everyone was wearing a helmet there.

Bikes everywhere ,its the way of life in Vietnam. But the traffic police must have done a better job, people are afraid of riding without a helmet unlike in Thailand. 

Anyway the cheap helmets pictured will not help you in an high speed accident. What's the point in wearing a helmet if it can not protect you ? 

Edited by balo

"A campaign to make Bangkok a model of a “100 per cent safety-helmet using city” was launched on Thursday."

Well, the word "Hub" has been replaced by the word "Model"; that's a start.  Success in this new Hub Model still depends on the BiB doing their job properly.

Hub, Model, call it what you want, it's not going to work.

I live in Hua Hin and my wife and I, whilst driving the 10 km from the centre of town to our home to the north of the town,  estimate that considerably more than 50% of motor cyclists, often with family on board, do not wear helmets.

At night, we nearly always spot about 6 or 7 on the same journey who travel with no rear light, but, of course, if we were ti hit them, guess whose fault it would be?

I agree that these cheap helmets are not going to save that many lives. The 300 to

600 baht ones are basically going to contain your head while your body gets shredded

by the pavement. You will be lucky if the plastic does not puncture your  brain when

the helmet hits the ground, or curb, etc

Geezer

It's startling how both Thais and Foreigners miss the point of these safety devices, they are to protect your head not just to avoid a police fine! Although I have doubts on the quality of the locally available helmets. 

As I was putting on my helmet or K'nock the girlfriend says don't worry darling no police here. (Isaan)

On 12/21/2017 at 7:56 PM, snoop1130 said:

The campaign, equipped with 1,500 motorcycle helmets, will see traffic police loaning helmets to motorists arrested for failing to wear one, in order to boost road safety and save lives. 

Glad to see that motorbike riders without helmets are not the only people who will "benefit" from being provided with such cheap and garish looking crash helmets.  However, I wonder why motorists would be provided with them.  Also, will they really "...boost safety and save lives."?  Seems doubtful the way Thais disregard the laws which are rarely enforced. 

I wonder what scale the Bangkok model will be and who is going to make the model and how much will the model sell for as I wouldn't mind buying a 1in 100 scale model of Bangkok to send back to my family in Australia

19 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

I live in Hua Hin and my wife and I, whilst driving the 10 km from the centre of town to our home to the north of the town,  estimate that considerably more than 50% of motor cyclists, often with family on board, do not wear helmets.

At night, we nearly always spot about 6 or 7 on the same journey who travel with no rear light, but, of course, if we were ti hit them, guess whose fault it would be?

What is it with them having no rear light? Every day I check the basics, tyres, indicators, lights etc.I often point out to the ones that have no rear light how dangerous it is. I guess they notice when the front has blown more easily. 

12 minutes ago, 01322521959 said:

What is it with them having no rear light? Every day I check the basics, tyres, indicators, lights etc.I often point out to the ones that have no rear light how dangerous it is. I guess they notice when the front has blown more easily. 

Glad you mentioned the front lights on the bikes, they put these carry baskets on the front of the bike and fill them up so they cover the headlight and you still cannot see them in the night. No lights = No brains = no decrease in Thailand's road carnage = not moving from number one in the world for road carnage