Where to get foreign food groceries you can't find in CM?

stargazer9999

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, happyas said:

Apparently you can buy these new fangled non high tech devices now-a-days to help your dire predicament :whistling:                                Image result for salt shaker

I’m guessing you’ve never encountered a Planter’s dry roasted peanut- sprinkling them with salt would be pointless, unless maybe you doused them in glue so the salt crystals would adhere to them...;)

Any ideas on how to make my coffee a little sweeter?

Edited by flare

2 hours ago, happyas said:

Apparently you can buy these new fangled non high tech devices now-a-days to help your dire predicament :whistling:                                Image result for salt shaker

I love up to date movers and shakers who emigrate to a foreign country and then bitch that the cannot find the "exact" home brand of their favourite product and will not accept the local near equivalent.

If in Rome etc!

I wonder if Thai's living in Europe have a website where they complain

about the Thai food stuffs that are their favourites but cannot find there.

Things are much ,much better than when i first came to live here,remember

seeing the first red pepper here,while only green were available before,you

cannot expect the shops to stock everything you need,you have just got to

do without or find the next best thing,or bring it in when returning from a trip.

regards worgeordie   Happy Christmas to all.   P.S. why does M& S not stock sweet mince pies 

6 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

P.P.S. Why does M& S not stock sour mince pies ?

I think because there is no such thing. I put the sweet in there

so not to confuse with mince beef pies, you do know the difference?

regards worgeordie    A Merry Christmas to all.

1 hour ago, flare said:

I’m guessing you’ve never encountered a Planter’s dry roasted peanut- sprinkling them with salt would be pointless, unless maybe you doused them in glue so the salt crystals would adhere to them...;)

Any ideas on how to make my coffee a little sweeter?

WARNING!!

Not being able to buy your already salted nuts here in Thailand will lead to severe loss of sense of humor.

Correct that i haven't encountered a Planters dry roasted nut, but i do buy and eat  other types  eg cashews, macadamias , and simply add salt as i require without getting uptight and without using any glue at all.

As for your coffee sweetener request...up to you, but i figure that you having to maybe spoon some sugar or other sweetener would also be stressful...in your case i would recommend pre sweetened coffee..save all the grief.

Merry Christmas to all.

Be happy as!

2 minutes ago, happyas said:

WARNING!!

Not being able to buy your already salted nuts here in Thailand will lead to severe loss of sense of humor.

Correct that i haven't encountered a Planters dry roasted nut, but i do buy and eat  other types  eg cashews, macadamias , and simply add salt as i require without getting uptight and without using any glue at all.

As for your coffee sweetener request...up to you, but i figure that you having to maybe spoon some sugar or other sweetener would also be stressful...in your case i would recommend pre sweetened coffee..save all the grief.

Merry Christmas to all.

Be happy as!

And maybe Santa will bring you a sense of humor as well.;)

Merry Christmas!

11 hours ago, trevoromgh said:

Of course you should never forget our good friends at http://sausagekingone.com  in Chiang Mai who have an extensive collection of British food favourites like pies, sausage rolls,curries, etc which can be ordered online and even delivered to your door anywhere in Thailand.  They sometimes get some 'unusual or unavailable' items too in their 'Extras' section.  

The thing I miss over here are oven roast potatoes which are great to cook from frozen in my halogen oven so if anyone has found somewhere that sells them please let me know. 

I had to google halogen oven. 999 baht bench top glass convection oven.

Cut your spuds up, cover in a mixture of oil, salt, pepper and any herbs you want a cook them yourself. Easy. I usually cook a roast pork with spuds, pumpkin, onions and carrots.The missus and her mum (and whatever other relations happen to be in town at the time) love it.

Plenty of recipes on line for roast spuds. Don't need to warm up frozen tucker.

11 hours ago, trevoromgh said:

Of course you should never forget our good friends at http://sausagekingone.com  in Chiang Mai who have an extensive collection of British food favourites like pies, sausage rolls,curries, etc which can be ordered online and even delivered to your door anywhere in Thailand.  They sometimes get some 'unusual or unavailable' items too in their 'Extras' section.  

The thing I miss over here are oven roast potatoes which are great to cook from frozen in my halogen oven so if anyone has found somewhere that sells them please let me know. 

Cut your spuds up, cover in a mixture of oil, salt, pepper and any herbs you want a cook them yourself. Easy. I usually cook a roast pork with spuds, pumpkin, onions and carrots.The missus and her mum (and whatever other relations happen to be in town at the time) love it.

5 hours ago, Sir Swagman said:

Odd as I find the local potato very good in both taste and quality (imports not at all). Why not make them from fresh ingredients- not hard.

Quite agree I've got nothing against local vegetables at all just that oven roasts are very convenient but will have to try the slower methods of cooking them I guess.

31 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

A convection oven and a halogen over are two different beasts, they look the same from the outside but they have different ways of heating up, halogen is best IMO.  Anyway back to original reply I will try out your method of cooking them and hope I don't mess it up  ;)

43 minutes ago, trevoromgh said:

A convection oven and a halogen over are two different beasts, they look the same from the outside but they have different ways of heating up, halogen is best IMO.  Anyway back to original reply I will try out your method of cooking them and hope I don't mess it up  ;)

I defer to you superior knowledge on the appliance.

However...have a go...total cost of a cock up is two spuds and some condiments, Happy cooking!

7 hours ago, themerg said:

There is a small store on a side street near Kad Suan Kaew Mall.

I don't know street name or store name.

You may be thinking of the "Green Store" in Nakorn Ping Condo, on Rajchaphrunk Rd.  It's the road across from the Shell Oil Station.  Nakorn Ping is a tall, pink and cream colored condo.  Le Brunch restaurant is also in the condo.  These two establishments, the Green Store and Le Brunch really make Nakorn Ping condo a good place to live.

I think K. Sai, the owner of Green Store stocks dry roasted Planters nuts.  There is a large selection of nuts and other snack foods.  

16 hours ago, worgeordie said:

do without or find the next best thing,or bring it in when returning from a trip.

regards worgeordie   Happy Christmas to all.   P.S. why does M& S not stock sweet mince pies 

Ah fruit mince pies!

Bought 2 jars of Robertson’s fruit mince from Rimping in Chiang Mai and got a local shop that makes great cakes to make them using a short pastry 

Fortunately nobody likes them except me.

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Having been friends with Thais and Thai restaurant owners in Europe, I can tell you the answer is no. They had a solution, however. There was always a lady or two in the community that made a trip back to Thailand 3 or 4 times a year and brought back huge boxes with them of all the dried, bottled and canned foods, herbs, kitchen supplies, etc. needed for Thai cooking. People put in their orders of what they wanted and the ladies made a nice little profit for their time and effort. The Vietnamese in Europe supply the Thais with all the fresh produce that they grow throughout Europe. So no complaining.:laugh:

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:52 PM, connda said:

I find Rimping to be a exercise in frustration oft times.  I'm simply amazed at their selection of stuff that I don't want to purchase, and then the inability to find those things that I do wish to buy. 
As long as we're on the subject of finding foods, I'm looking for a place that sells molasses.  I bought some a Kasems but it's going on the compost heap.  It's so bitter it's not palatable.  Not complaining about Kasem, there is a lot I buy there, but molasses won't be on my list.  I haven't been able to find it in Rimping on the river.  Still looking for other places.  Often the problem is that things aren't stocked in a logical order.  I'd expect to find molasses either with sugar products or in the baking section.  If I can't find it there I'm not sure where else to check.

It's just Murphy's Law.

Whenever I want something I can never find it ( even if it was stocked last week ) and when I don't want it it's everywhere.

3 hours ago, stargazer9999 said:

I'm sure I can find what I need online somewhere in the world.  Is there any problem with importing whatever food you want into Thailand?  I've never tried before.  

We import foodstuff into Thailand every 3-4 months or thereabouts. Mostly from www.iherb.com (they have many things in their e-shop), but we've also imported foods and other things from Switzerland, Italy, etc. Never had a problem and never had to pay any tax.

On 12/23/2017 at 9:44 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

The fact that many items appear from time to time, but without a continuous supply is perhaps the most annoying feature of expensive supermarkets like Rimping, or Tops. When I last did a 90 day at Promenada I bought the entire stock ( 5 bottles )of Fountain BBQ sauce, as it isn't available at Big C or even Tops ( though it used to be stocked at Tops ). I don't want to have to store 4 bottles, but who can say if it's been replaced?

Some types of food not stocked anywhere is just puzzling. I've never seen powdered tomato soup anywhere, while other flavours are available. Some that used to be stocked is no longer, like Heinz hot dog relish.

Seems that just because a particular food gets sold is no reason to keep stocking it :crying:.

Wow. End of the world.

On 12/25/2017 at 9:51 PM, stargazer9999 said:

I'm sure I can find what I need online somewhere in the world.  Is there any problem with importing whatever food you want into Thailand?  I've never tried before.  

My guess would be import taxes. I have often heard of people paying more for that than the original cost of the item.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/12/2017 at 1:52 PM, connda said:

I find Rimping to be a exercise in frustration oft times.  I'm simply amazed at their selection of stuff that I don't want to purchase, and then the inability to find those things that I do wish to buy. 
As long as we're on the subject of finding foods, I'm looking for a place that sells molasses.  I bought some a Kasems but it's going on the compost heap.  It's so bitter it's not palatable.  Not complaining about Kasem, there is a lot I buy there, but molasses won't be on my list.  I haven't been able to find it in Rimping on the river.  Still looking for other places.  Often the problem is that things aren't stocked in a logical order.  I'd expect to find molasses either with sugar products or in the baking section.  If I can't find it there I'm not sure where else to check.

Was at Rimping Meechok this week and saw two brands of molasses on the shelf.

Want to mention the very fine Thailand produced FETA CHEESE now found in Rimping, at HomePro.  NO import tax, great feta taste, local cows etc.  Cost: 200 net gms at baht 155.

Is this feta as good as goat milk feta imported from Greece in a glass jar?  I suspect not but local feta is 1/2 the price and nearly as good. Up to you.