Why did I have reservations about leaving Thailand for a short business trip back to the UK?

Inspire

Why did I have reservations about leaving Thailand for a short business trip back to the UK?

blog3.jpg

Inspire is delighted to have teamed up with Dan about Thailand vlogs to bring you his latest vlog from in and around Thailand.

The vlogs cover travel and debate on things associated with tourists and expats in the country.

If you want to follow Dan you can join his Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/danaboutthailand/

Source: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/reservations-leaving-thailand-short-business-trip-back-uk/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2017-12-24

2 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Only if you’re weak enough to let it ! 

There are things in life that are out of your control here. Death, illness etc, accidents, things you could not conceive of happening in a developed country..but your point is well taken. 

Also when you listen to the posters on here complain about their own countries and its failings, not taking any responsibility for themselves, a country like Thailand if things go "tits up" have no chance. Some have little or no money, no medical insurance etc...you think things are going to end well..lack of language skills, dependent on someone else..generally ill equipped.

seen enough here and experience some..to make your toes curl..

Lived here almost all my life..don't be old and poor here..getting old brings frailties, lack of confidence..

the developed world has social services to help the aged..Thailand relies on families..the poorer elements cannot cope..or provide..do you think a farang will be given " special treatment"..

uk or Thailand, quality of life is about how much money you have.

Weakness and dependancy comes to all, if you are fortunate  to live a long life..

the idea that everyone is a sad broken old man...is nonsense...

7 hours ago, huawei said:

There are things in life that are out of your control here. Death, illness etc, accidents, things you could not conceive of happening in a developed country..but your point is well taken. 

Also when you listen to the posters on here complain about their own countries and its failings, not taking any responsibility for themselves, a country like Thailand if things go "tits up" have no chance. Some have little or no money, no medical insurance etc...you think things are going to end well..lack of language skills, dependent on someone else..generally ill equipped.

seen enough here and experience some..to make your toes curl..

Lived here almost all my life..don't be old and poor here..getting old brings frailties, lack of confidence..

the developed world has social services to help the aged..Thailand relies on families..the poorer elements cannot cope..or provide..do you think a farang will be given " special treatment"..

uk or Thailand, quality of life is about how much money you have.

Weakness and dependancy comes to all, if you are fortunate  to live a long life..

the idea that everyone is a sad broken old man...is nonsense...

I am surprised at the amount of Xpats who live on their pensions, nothing else, now that to me is a sad existence to say the least, <deleted> were they doing all their lives, me for one, busted my rear to be able to retire early, and enjoy what the heck I worked for.

Have to agree, Thailand has little if any social services, health insurance is a must, as costly as it is, and one has to have savings to be able to exit and head back to the old country with things are not working out when you are older.

I am surprised at the amount of Xpats who live on their pensions, nothing else, now that to me is a sad existence to say the least, were they doing all their lives, me for one, busted my rear to be able to retire early, and enjoy what the heck I worked for.

Have to agree, Thailand has little if any social services, health insurance is a must, as costly as it is, and one has to have savings to be able to exit and head back to the old country with things are not working out when you are older.
That type of chest beating suggest you are

A. A pensioner
B. Your inheritance arrived early

Sorry dude no offense but we both know it's true [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

1 hour ago, InMyShadow said:

That type of chest beating suggest you are

A. A pensioner
B. Your inheritance arrived early

Sorry dude no offense but we both know it's true emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

No need to apologise dude, just stating the facts

A. Won't qualify for the pension in a decade, because of the assets test

B. Inheritance when I get it will be less than 80k AUS

Believe what you want, but never assume that everyone's a liar 555

Spent some considerable time in the Kensington, Hyde Park, Notting Hill, Bayswater, part of London, great place if, as I did, you live under half an hour walking distance from your work

Being on holiday any place in the world you see more places of interest than passing through or commuting underground to work, so really no great insight there.

Personally I have enjoyed central/West London, but even that cannot compare to the pleasure I now garner in Rural Thailand.

Various stages of life require differing approach, for me now the quiet but interesting lifestyle of rural Thailand fits.

I certainly have no reservations surrounding anything in the UK, or Thailand life is good

I am surprised at the amount of Xpats who live on their pensions, nothing else, now that to me is a sad existence to say the least, were they doing all their lives, me for one, busted my rear to be able to retire early, and enjoy what the heck I worked for.

Maybe they decided to live for the moment and travelled and enjoyed their life in their younger days. Some people decide that life is for living while they still have their health and young enough to enjoy.
I'm not saying that's the right or wrong way just suggesting a reason why they don't turn up loaded.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, oldlakey said:

Is that the voice of experience I hear there

Nope...I have no problem returning to my native country every 2 years to renew my O-A...usually not entirely pleasant or unpleasant but Thailand is my chosen home and and I usually cannot wait to get back.

5 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Maybe they decided to live for the moment and travelled and enjoyed their life in their younger days. Some people decide that life is for living while they still have their health and young enough to enjoy.
I'm not saying that's the right or wrong way just suggesting a reason why they don't turn up loaded.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes agreed, but living for the moment has got them where they are now, in the sheeeet, I mean I see guys struggling on the pension.

From my experience, you can live and enjoy, while also investing in either property, shares as you go so that when the time comes, your not scrounging around to buy the basics.

Not chest beating as someone stated, just the obvious in my opinion, as I couldn't see myself being in that situation, having come from an underprivileged background.

At the end of the day, each to their own I suppose, but sad really, all those years of hard work, to be thinking twice before being able to enjoy what should come naturally from the harvest.

13 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I am surprised at the amount of Xpats who live on their pensions, nothing else, now that to me is a sad existence to say the least, <deleted> were they doing all their lives, me for one, busted my rear to be able to retire early, and enjoy what the heck I worked for.

Well no pension for me. I will have to live off my savings. Just continue to make Thai Social Security payments for medical coverage. Different strokes for different folks. 

14 hours ago, tonray said:

Nope...I have no problem returning to my native country every 2 years to renew my O-A...usually not entirely pleasant or unpleasant but Thailand is my chosen home and and I usually cannot wait to get back.

Well I am glad to hear it

I am a Brit myself and certainly have no axe to grind for the UK, or against it for that matter

I am now reaping the benefits such as they are, but I was well aware what I would not reap by becoming a non resident

I was just curious as to where such an extreme and to be honest depressing view would come from

As you are obviously not disposed to saying why you hold such a view, as you say its not through personal experience I will put it down to reading it on Thaivisa and leave it at that

You can be assured it was nothing but curiosity on my part, and we all know what killed the cat dont we

On 12/24/2017 at 8:37 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Your views are obviously based on limited knowledge of other scenarios. I had been coming for a few years before I retired ,got married and came to live here in 2008 just on my pension, what money I had all went into building a house.

I have had nearly 10 good years here and whatever happens in the future that can never be taken away. Far better than the penny pinching and miserable weather I would have had to endure in the UK. When my father was alive and living on his pension he would spend his day in the British Legion bar, it was a toss up between a few pints of beer and paying the heating bills.

Why is health insurance a must, at my age the premiums are prohibitive. Two years ago I had a medical check up at the mobile health unit, that was free. Last Friday I went to the cancer hospital, they run quite a thorough check up service for 1600 Baht, get the results in a couple of weeks.

My wife and I both acknowledge if I was to be diagnosed with something that was unaffordable it would be a flight back to the UK and despite what you seem to think I do not need savings to return.

Accidents?, why worry about something that may never happen, If I had thought like that 10 years ago I would have missed out on so much.

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Your views are obviously based on limited knowledge of other scenarios. I had been coming for a few years before I retired ,got married and came to live here in 2008 just on my pension, what money I had all went into building a house.

I have had nearly 10 good years here and whatever happens in the future that can never be taken away. Far better than the penny pinching and miserable weather I would have had to endure in the UK. When my father was alive and living on his pension he would spend his day in the British Legion bar, it was a toss up between a few pints of beer and paying the heating bills.

Why is health insurance a must, at my age the premiums are prohibitive. Two years ago I had a medical check up at the mobile health unit, that was free. Last Friday I went to the cancer hospital, they run quite a thorough check up service for 1600 Baht, get the results in a couple of weeks.

My wife and I both acknowledge if I was to be diagnosed with something that was unaffordable it would be a flight back to the UK and despite what you seem to think I do not need savings to return.

Accidents?, why worry about something that may never happen, If I had thought like that 10 years ago I would have missed out on so much.

I think you would have been better off had you worked and saved, therefore all of your money wouldn't have gone on building a house, but each to their own.

Health insurance is a must, and yes it is a rip off as you get older, I personally don't have any, as I have a couple fo pre-existing conditions which they won't cover, so my response is, well if they don't want to cover me for my pre-existing, then they get zero, and I self insure as I have the backing.

Its not about what worrying about "something that will never happen", for example, if I returned to my country of birth, I would have to re-establish my residency which could take a while, now if I needed emergency treatment, I know I wouldn't be covered because you cannot establish residency overnight.

Just saying, one could enjoy a work life balance and invest at the same time if they were prepared to put in the hard yards, as opposed to me sitting with pensioners who keep tipping the empty beer bottle every couple of minutes as if to get some more beer out of it.

I am happy with my decision, i.e. when I go for a holiday, I stay in a comfortable hotel, as opposed to a hotel that costs under 800 baht a night with no facilities, and as long as your happy with your decision, I am happy for you, just saying.

18 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I think you would have been better off had you worked and saved, therefore all of your money wouldn't have gone on building a house, but each to their own.

Health insurance is a must, and yes it is a rip off as you get older, I personally don't have any, as I have a couple fo pre-existing conditions which they won't cover, so my response is, well if they don't want to cover me for my pre-existing, then they get zero, and I self insure as I have the backing.

Its not about what worrying about "something that will never happen", for example, if I returned to my country of birth, I would have to re-establish my residency which could take a while, now if I needed emergency treatment, I know I wouldn't be covered because you cannot establish residency overnight.

Just saying, one could enjoy a work life balance and invest at the same time if they were prepared to put in the hard yards, as opposed to me sitting with pensioners who keep tipping the empty beer bottle every couple of minutes as if to get some more beer out of it.

I am happy with my decision, i.e. when I go for a holiday, I stay in a comfortable hotel, as opposed to a hotel that costs under 800 baht a night with no facilities, and as long as your happy with your decision, I am happy for you, just saying.

Broaden your horizons, your circumstances are not universal.

You are making assumptions that those with limited funds have not worked and saved, the reasons can be diverse. In my case I gave my share of the matrimonial home and a lot more to reduce the disruption to my son's way of life. We cannot all end up on a bed of roses and you shouldn't assume you know the reason why.

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Broaden your horizons, your circumstances are not universal.

You are making assumptions that those with limited funds have not worked and saved, the reasons can be diverse. In my case I gave my share of the matrimonial home and a lot more to reduce the disruption to my son's way of life. We cannot all end up on a bed of roses and you shouldn't assume you know the reason why.

I too split 4 properties with my x back in 1999, but got back up and dusted it off and started again, everyone has their opinion, I see things for what they are, and call a spade a spade

Like I said, everyone makes their own beds, and mine is not the roses type, its the lambs wool type 555

Archived