Police appeal for public help to lower holiday road toll

webfact

4 hours ago, Mark mark said:

Well,  … it is quite Clear !!!! … Let the Thais be Thai at Home, and walking down the streets, at school ETC.  … But out Killing other people, on the roads, let’s not accept it. … lets work towards a consensus Opinion, …. which they ARE doing, despite what all the Great Wisdom on Thai Visa night think.

Yes, and when it comes to getting to the Consensus, decision, within Society, that WILL start reducing the Road Toll, …  YES, Defiantly as most here agree, ... Much, MUCH more Focused, and BETTER Policing, and Fines, …. Sure probably would much accelerate even if kick starting, …. Getting to this much better Position !!!

Time to Roar down to the servo, gas her up, and then hit the TV / Electrical Repair shop …. And then finish off the School run, if it has not been done …

Edited by metisdead
Over size font re-set to normal.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Only backward,undeveloped and “unless it happens to me” countries such as Thailand"  ... Well you know what the answer is here for you as regards this Opinion, Buddy !!! ...(With all due respect) ... as I, ..and the 70 million Thais do not have to, and well, thankfully are not going to change for you, or anyone else like you I hope.

Well they dont want to change for their own 70 million folk “buddy”. So I never thought they would likely change for a foreigner

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Colabamumbai said:

Lets all use a little common sense on the roads everyday. You first..

"No, you, I insist . . . oh, go on then . . . thank-you and have a safe drive" . . . zzzzzzzzz . . . oh shucks, I was dreaming there for a minute . . . oh well :sad:

3 hours ago, Mark mark said:

Yes, and when it comes to getting to the Consensus, decision, within Society, that WILL start reducing the Road Toll, …  YES, Defiantly as most here agree, ... Much, MUCH more Focused, and BETTER Policing, and Fines, …. Sure probably would much accelerate even if kick starting, …. Getting to this much better Position !!!

Time to Roar down to the servo, gas her up, and then hit the TV / Electrical Repair shop …. And then finish off the School run, if it has not been done …

mark you are quoting yourself, thats a first, why didnt you go back and amend the original

7 hours ago, dufusdonald said:

Ah boy. Methinks the polfleece should appeal to themselves to do their jobs.  

The question is  how do these moronic drivers pass a driving test in the first place?  

Last week I parked my motorbike on the sidewalk in front of a restaurant I frequent. I left pleny of space for someone to pass. When I got out of the restaurant to get on the bike a Thai guy stops me and says to me, "can I ask you a question"? I said sure. He says, "why do you park your bike on the sidewalk"?  

I said because I want to be just like the Thai people.

Speaking of moronic driving behavior...parking a motorbike on the sideWALK!  If you think the Thai's are  wrong in doing so, why would you follow their example?  I can think of two plausible answers: I'm too lazy to find a proper parking location, or I believe I'm more important than others; therefore can do as I like.

10 hours ago, Jip99 said:

+1

And when they catch them.

What do they do then?

Most of the BIB were on a tea break during that part of the training..

More work.

Electronic technology. 

Bar coded tickets with the right to challenge and pay at the police station. 

Basic pay. (No more cash in hand)

Why should they bother.?

The job just got even less interesting... lol.

2 minutes ago, chuck6660 said:

Speaking of moronic driving behavior...parking a motorbike on the sideWALK!  If you think the Thai's are  wrong in doing so, why would you follow their example?  I can think of two plausible answers: I'm too lazy to find a proper parking location, or I believe I'm more important than others; therefore can do as I like.

Or possibly a third option:

Using sarcasm to make the locals realise that what they do is not so clever (although I doubt it).

10 hours ago, PatOngo said:

“The department has ordered 4,000 more electronic monitoring bracelets for this task. However, this measure won’t be ready to implement in this New Year period, as the order will arrive around the middle of next year,” he said.

Absolutely clueless!

dui #  = 30 mandatory jail time and 20000 baht . Dui #2 = 6 months mandatory and loss of vehicle along life time suspension and 45000  baht fine ..  must be law , no say sorry and go home .

4 hours ago, Mark mark said:

"Only backward,undeveloped and “unless it happens to me” countries such as Thailand"  ... Well you know what the answer is here for you as regards this Opinion, Buddy !!! ...(With all due respect) ... as I, ..and the 70 million Thais do not have to, and well, thankfully are not going to change for you, or anyone else like you I hope.

How does that translate into how you drive on the roads in Thailand?

1 minute ago, mikiea said:

dui #  = 30 mandatory jail time and 20000 baht . Dui #2 = 6 months mandatory and loss of vehicle along life time suspension and 45000  baht fine ..  must be law , no say sorry and go home .

Maybe! My brother in law, a Thai, got arrested for DUI, he'd only had two beers but it was enough - 10,000 baht fine, no jail time, all handled at the police station.

10 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Maybe! My brother in law, a Thai, got arrested for DUI, he'd only had two beers but it was enough - 10,000 baht fine, no jail time, all handled at the police station.

that is a part of the  problem  , copper stations  should not be money exchanges , coppers need to chase bad guys  not be their bail bonds men . until then , crooked is as crooked does .

Edited by mikiea

Just now, mikiea said:

that is a part of the  problem  , copper stations  should not be money exchanges , coppers need to chase bad guys  not be their bail bonds men . until then , crooked as crooked does .

I meant to imply that it was all above board and there were no backhanders or under the table payments, he did attend court the following day which is where the fine was paid.

15 hours ago, smedly said:

message to police

do your (deleted) job if you even know what that is instead of going out around the town and .........................in your pockets

As has been said here many times by people that know what they are talking about.................start to actually enforce traffic law and if you don't know what that means then time for either retraining or sacking.

The public (road users) will do exactly what they can get away with and right now that is pretty much anything they like.

And yet when they stop obvious law breaking tourists for not wearing a helmet on a motorbike we deride them.

15 hours ago, PatOngo said:

“The department has ordered 4,000 more electronic monitoring bracelets for this task. However, this measure won’t be ready to implement in this New Year period, as the order will arrive around the middle of next year,” he said.

Absolutely clueless!

Obviously you have never been involved in any form of purchasing, contract negotiations or supply/acquisition procedures. Highly unlikely 4000 of anything sitting on the shelf. They will need to be manufactured then supplied.

15 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

73%, wow, if ever there was a sound argument for not riding a motorbike in Thailand, there it is.

And a good argument for putting the figures into perspective...driving a car in Thailand is not really high risk as far as I am concerned.

In fact I see more courteous driving here than I do in Australia - someone wants to pull out into traffic and the traffic generally stops to let them in.

All you'd get in Oz is the finger. 

That's not to say there aren't crazy speedsters on the motorway..there are...but they are the exception rather than the rule.

3 hours ago, lvr181 said:

73%, wow, if ever there was a sound argument for not riding a motorbike in Thailand, there it is.

That might account for the actual fatality outcome of an accident but you will also find that 90% of these accidents also involve a larger vehicle, a more accurate figure would be quoting how many of these fatalities was actually the fault of the motorcyclist or just general bad careless driving by everyone and lack of law enforcement. 

10 minutes ago, smedly said:

who is "we" ?

l certainly don't 

A thousand apologies Khun Smedley... I erroneously used the inclusive we in reference to the general TVF populace.

No offence intended...enjoy the rest of you Christmas festivities.

Edited by tryasimight

3 minutes ago, smedly said:

That might account for the actual fatality outcome of an accident but you will also find that 90% of these accidents also involve a larger vehicle, a more accurate figure would be quoting how many of these fatalities was actually the fault of the motorcyclist or just general bad careless driving by everyone and lack of law enforcement. 

90% of the motorbike prangs are due to young dickheads....there I said it. Doesn't matter if they hit a truck or a tree. Cops can't control stupidity.....they couldn't 50 years ago in Western Australia...sure as shit  they can't in Thailand now

16 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I disagree on this point also. Appealing for public cooperation is a viable  alternative to imposing the will of a nanny or police state.

Give it a rest for heavens sake

Do you not know the the fundamental difference between a Nanny and Police state

Chalk and Cheese comes to mind

What you mean is a NANNY STATE

1 hour ago, oldlakey said:

Give it a rest for heavens sake

Do you not know the the fundamental difference between a Nanny and Police state

Chalk and Cheese comes to mind

What you mean is a NANNY STATE

So a police state, a military junta, cannot impose its will, interesting concept that!

Edited by simoh1490

8 hours ago, welovethailand said:

Education starts in the schools

NO!!!!!   It STARTS at HOME!   I knew what the term "defensive driving" meant, along with the importance & priority of pedestrians, etc.,  before I ever set foot in a drivers ed class.   Schools are an important place for learning courtesy, consideration and respect for the law to be sure. But bad habits and total disregard for others are things learned before a child gets to the first grade from watching parents and elders, and then not likely to be easily undone.