7-Eleven To Sell Cans Of Thai Craft Beer

webfact

7-Eleven To Sell Cans Of Thai Craft Beer

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

4431282784_9dca75fca6_o-696x464.jpg

Photo: Krista / Facebook

BANGKOK — For the first time, the shelves of the realm’s top convenience stores will be stocked with cans of Thai craft beer.

Starting Thursday, Bannok Beer will be sold at 7-Eleven stores in Bangkok and a number of other provinces. It’s billed as the convenience chain’s first Thai craft beer for sale.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/food/2017/12/27/7-eleven-sell-cans-thai-craft-beer/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-12-27

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

It will be piss like all other Thai Beer !

This guy's beer output so far has been very promising. The Stonehead beers (same founder) are already available in some Family Mart stores as well as Villa, Tops etc. I'd drink them all the time if it wasn't for the price (about 3x local beer costs). Due to the ridiculous protectionist rules here they're forced to produce these beers in Cambodia and import them. 

Thai craft beers are made by an underground industry.  If they want to sell to their own people, they have to ship it out of the country and re-import it while paying extortionate tariffs. It looks like 7-11 has got around these impediments, with a 99 baht price. Some of the craft beer made here is not too good but there are some that are great. Probably the beer industry average in any country. This should be interesting. However, 7-11, please bring on a pilsener or lager for us non-hyper-hopped beer lovers. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

21 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

This beer is NOT brewed in Thailand but in Australia. Craft beer or home brewing is illegal in Thailand.  http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/am/thai-craft-beer-brewers-breaking-the-law/9286552

Read my post No. 8. When I searched for Bannok and Australia, nothing came up. It's also sold at Wishbeer. Country of origin: Thailand.

Bannok beer

5 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Read my post No. 8. When I searched for Bannok and Australia, nothing came up. It's also sold at Wishbeer. Country of origin: Thailand.

Bannok beer

Given that the beer may be brewed inside Thailand that in itself to me is illegal. Sending it to Australia for import back into Thailand put it up there with everything else that is back doored in this country. I shall take a rain check and a no thank you to 7-11.

1 hour ago, khwaibah said:

This beer is NOT brewed in Thailand but in Australia. Craft beer or home brewing is illegal in Thailand.  http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/am/thai-craft-beer-brewers-breaking-the-law/9286552

We have a microbrewery in Koh Samui which brews and sells beers. I know that the owner had to jump through all kinds of hoops but he is operating very publicly and legally.  The restriction seems to be taht he is not allowed to sell beer to be consumed outside of his bar / brewery but is licensed (and taxed) to brew beer.

Whoever said 4% beer is not beer is wrong, 555.

The best beer in the world is 4.2%.

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

And you can buy a pint of the finest beer in the world RETAIL for under 63B/beer, including tax in America (when you buy a four pack).

Why bother with this sheist? 

Did the heat melt your brains? ?

It's a shame really that Thailand insists on granting a virtual monopoly to the manufacturers of the crap that passes for beer here and throttling domestic manufacturing of good quality craft beer.

My understanding is that craft brewers have to export their beer and re-import it paying the ridiculous tariffs instead of selling it directly in Thailand.

It makes the pricing ridiculous. 

It wouldn't be so bad if the major manufacturers would produce a decent ale, stout or porter.

But they have no interest in that and the powers that be don't seem to want any challenge to their monopoly.

The rise in craft brewing in North America was one of the greatest things to happen there.

There are thousands of little breweries experimenting with different recipes and holding expositions to compete.

A beer festival in Thailand.

Leo, Singh's, Chang.

What you like!

We are boycotting Thailand until they get some decent <deleted> beer on the go , either that or import some decent strong and cheap cider from the UK . Cambo and Myanmar are leagues ahead of Thailand for beer especially Myanmar with  draft Myanmar beer stations abounding . Not so many hookers there though so that will put most of the western sexpats off. 

12 hours ago, Dipterocarp said:

They had "Copper" on Tap available, but it had sold out so I don't know if  it is any good

I enjoyed the Singha Copper beer, and no unpleasant hangover after a few pints. Also known as Est. 33, served around town in small independent bars. 

These two beers were launched in 7-11 today, so just tried them. Honey bomb is a dark beer, Kiss Me Deadly is a pale ale. Quite tasty, though I prefer some of the Stonehead beers from the same brewer, albeit a bit more expensive and stronger around 5 to 8% alcohol wise. The beers are brewed and canned in Cambodia and imported.