Old UK ten pound notes still ok to change in Thailand?

mitsubishi

Got a few of these laying around and with the new plastic natty ones in circulation wondering if Thailand accepts the old ones still?

Also can I still change the old 20 baht notes for new ones? (The ones with the musket guy on the back)

If you have a UK Bank Account then you can send the old notes to the Bank of England and they will credit your account with the value of the notes. I exchanged some old notes recently and the money was in my UK Bank within a few days.

Exchanging banknotes by post

You can post withdrawn banknotes to us for exchange. They are sent at your own risk, so please make sure you take appropriate measures to insure against loss or theft.

Please send your banknote(s), completed form and copies of ID to Department NEX, Bank of England, Threadneedle Street, London EC2R 8AH.

We can either pay you direct to a bank account (normally within ten working days), by cheque or, if you live in the UK and your exchange is worth less than £50, in new banknotes. We will need you to provide us with a BIC/SWIFT Code and IBAN number to make a transfer to an overseas account.

If you are an individual

To exchange your banknotes by post, fill out the banknote exchanges application form and send it to us along with the banknotes.

If your old banknotes are worth £1,000 or more (or cumulatively over £1,000), you will also need to send us a copy of your photo ID and proof of address.

public_exchange.pdf

• Like 1

4 hours ago, neilscolt said:

We have had local banks refuse them recently, who imforned us they are no longer accepting them, we only have a couple that need changing and are going to see if we can exchange them at the airport next week when we pick friends uo.

My experience exactly............they don't like old money - and forget about the money changers, they don't even want to look at old money, especially old hundred dollar bills............give them to someone going back to England.   Old Thai money can be changed anywhere.

On 28-12-2017 at 8:20 AM, jacko45k said:

They are usually pretty quick to stop accepting foreign notes that are replaced  here, so I would try and get them changed ASAP, else you are looking at friends heading back over there to take them.

20 baht notes you can still use.

On 12/28/2017 at 9:25 AM, krabi local said:

They are only legal tender until March in the U.K. so be quick.

I was told by the Natwest bank that they would keep accepting them even after the 'end of legal tender' date.

And of course the final option would be to take them to the Bank of England to exchange.

So Don't Panic!

• 1 month later...
On 28/12/2017 at 2:25 AM, krabi local said:

They are only legal tender until March in the U.K. so be quick.

1st of March...  :shock1:

Over 200,000,000 still out there, that equates to over £60 GBP for every British Man, Women & Child.

At least £2.1bn worth of old £10 notes need to be spent or exchanged before they cease to be legal tender, the Bank of England says.

The deadline to spend or exchange old £10 notes - featuring naturalist Charles Darwin - is 1 March.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43104497

Reminder to self: "check washing machine filter"