Negligence accusation after container crushes car

webfact

By The Nation

a5e38f0a2225610e54a8594c8949c9f9.jpeg

The driver of a Honda sedan narrowly escaped death on Wednesday after a container fell off a lorry and crushed his car on Nakhon In Road in Nonthaburi province.

Rescuers had to use a massive vice to rescue the injured driver, whose name was not known, from the driver’s seat. He was sent to a nearby hospital.

Police were alerted about the accident shortly after noon and found the container on the roof of the Honda Civic, crushing the car almost entirely.

2a00867210d958cacc43504953fc79be.jpeg

A photo posted by JS 100 traffic radio showed that the roof was depressed almost to the driver’s seat.

Police are investigating the cause of the accident and seeking to talk to the driver of the lorry.

Photos of the accident were posted on Facebook by JS100 traffic radio and immediately drew attention online as people criticised authorities for negligence in enforcing laws that require lorries to firmly secure container cargo.

e677927f116cf03be87b71fa9f861fca.jpeg

The accident in Nonthaburi reminded some commentators of an accident in February 2014 in which a lorry on a bridge lost a container, which fell onto a van below and killed the van’s driver in Pathum Thani province.

3f30520aca840141290f52274b7dd291.jpeg

9a2782591262d91d8365b3e88c1c0fad.jpeg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30334907

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-28

1 hour ago, jaywalker said:
1 hour ago, webfact said:

Police are investigating the cause of the accident and seeking to talk to the driver of the lorry.

Did the driver do a runner?

Just found this.

"After the accident, Viset did not escape but waited for the arrival of the police at the scene of the accident."

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/category/breakingnews/

4 hours ago, greatwhitenorth said:

Negligence accusation?   it should be pretty obvious there was negligence.  I think maybe an investigation should follow the accusation.

Pretty sure there was negligence, but was it the driver who didn't secure the load, or the cam manufacturer whose product failed miserably, or an overloaded container that broke the tiedowns anyway, or ??

Edited by impulse

none of the container carrying trucks lock them down, too much lost time if they do, easier to just let them fall off the backs and put people lives at risk. Speed and corners are the reason they fall off, the driver should face charges as should the company responsible, enforcing of laws would not go astray either, all containers need to be locked down

2 minutes ago, seajae said:

none of the container carrying trucks lock them down, too much lost time if they do, easier to just let them fall off the backs and put people lives at risk. Speed and corners are the reason they fall off, the driver should face charges as should the company responsible, enforcing of laws would not go astray either, all containers need to be locked down

I've seen more than one bouncing on the trailer between Laem Chabang & BKK.

5 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

I've seen more than one bouncing on the trailer between Laem Chabang & BKK.

The port area in LB it was normal to see them bounce around on some of the roads. 2 or 3 inches of daylight showing between the unit and container when they hit a bump.

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

4494 845  , we can share the winings if you like .

My winning numbers :smile: are those of this lucky car's plate, what are those fanciful ones you gave me  :whistling:Pfffff 

"we can share the winings if you like " You should have said YOU can share YOUR winnings  :whistling:Pfffff (bis)

21 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

He must have been wearing one <deleted> big amulet ! :giggle:

.... in combination With a Lucky number plate- (9+4+7+1) 21 - what can then go wrong...??...;)

On 12/28/2017 at 9:48 AM, WhisperingJack said:

Incredible! No container pins.

Yes, you can clearly see the proper lugs on the container but nothing too lock onto on the trailer ie. trailer not designed too carry containers, should have not been allowed to carry these containers, but here they probably don't worry about such things! 

Anyone familiar with the transportation  and handling of shipping containers can see from this photo that the container had not been correctly secured and locked onto the trailer chassis.  

a5e38f0a2225610e54a8594c8949c9f9.jpeg

A correctly secured loaded container would probably have caused the entire truck and trailer to "overturn" as in these photos.

A proper examination of the chassis and container, by the police, would prove whether or not it was secure.

image.jpeg.7b7a137612d116a3cdeb8a1004b4f7ac.jpegimage.jpeg.d878a28e5f3f68da31b4739d68820c00.jpeg

image.jpeg.3f24925194258bdc1856b5933e4eb26d.jpegผลการค้นหารูปภาพสำหรับ container on overturned semi

On 12/28/2017 at 5:36 AM, seajae said:

It only takes moments to lock down a container on a skeleton trailer - just about as long as it takes to walk around the truck. I used to do a lot of container work in Melbourne in the early '70s, so I'm familiar with what's involved. There's no excuse for not locking it down.

The driver of the car was incredibly lucky to escape. The Gods must have been smiling on him that day...

22 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

My winning numbers :smile: are those of this lucky car's plate, what are those fanciful ones you gave me  :whistling:Pfffff 

"we can share the winings if you like " You should have said YOU can share YOUR winnings  :whistling:Pfffff (bis)

You have to tilt your head a bit , the numbers are on the container.