Marriage visa

Hello guys,

I am posting this question on behalf of my friend.

Our apologies if these questions have already been answered before.

• He has not been living with his wife for six years and they do not communicate at all. He believes that their marriage is still in force. However, he would like to know if there is a way to check if their marriage certificate is still valid?
  • If he would like to obtain one year marriage visa, is 400 000 Baht needed only for two months in a Thai bank as a requirement or does it need to be there for every three months perpetually when he goes to report to immigration office? In other words, what are the requirements for one year visa based on marriage with a Thai citizen?

Kind regards,

He is enquiring about an 'extension of stay based on marriage', not a Visa.

The financial requirement is 400,000 baht held in a Thai bank for 2 months, although some offices insist on 3 months, or an income of 40,000 baht per month.

He can check his marital status at the Amphur where they married. If she divorced him in his absence it will be recorded there.

Without his wife attending, it would be impossible to obtain a marriage extension.

Is he currently in Thailand?

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

Do not forget to ask your fiend if he really is legally married, many of you falangs seems to think that you are married just because you are putting up a shit-load of money on a table in a village. That is just a Buddah-wedding and means NOTHING out in the real world... and that marriage can not be found in any records wherever...

And in that case your friend can be legally married again if he wishes without consult the former "wife"..

good luck.

glegolo

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, glegolo said:

Do not forget to ask your fiend if he really is legally married, many of you falangs seems to think that you are married just because you are putting up a shit-load of money on a table in a village. That is just a Buddah-wedding and means NOTHING out in the real world... and that marriage can not be found in any records wherever...

And in that case your friend can be legally married again if he wishes without consult the former "wife"..

good luck.

glegolo

The OP stated he had a 'marriage certificate', so not a village marriage.

9 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Without his wife attending, it would be impossible to obtain a marriage extension.

And they often want photos of the loving couple at home together and/or they talk to neighbors to confirm it's a marriage in fact, not just on paper.

• Like 2

For your Friend to get an Extension to stay based on Marriage 

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

He can take the marriage certificate to any Amphoe (District Office) and they will be able to confirm if the marriage is still valid.

No chance.

Being married is not enough, the marriage must be "de jure and de facto".

• They will need his wife to attend immigration when he applies, unless there is a compelling reason why she can't (e.g. illness backed up by a doctors letter).
  • They will want signed copies of his wife's ID and Tabian Baan.
  • They will want pictures of the husband/wife at home, and there is a possibility of a home visit.
  • Home visits are highly likely if it's the first application at an office. They will interview neighbours to check that the husband/wife are actually living together. The neighbours will need to provide ID and sign a statement.

Good post and very accurate.

Indeed he has no chance doing this without his wife's permission and helping him. If they are not living together as husband and wife, he has no legal chance at all.  

In my case when applying, I also had to provide witnessess stating on paper that I actually do live there and with my wife but I think this was because they did not plan to mae a home visit due to distance. 

just to be prepared, if you go to the Amphoe ( district office) it would be advisable to go to the one where your marriage is registered and while you are there get an updated copy of your Khor Ror 2 as I do not think that one that is 6 years old would be acceptable. I needed a new one and the copy of mine was only 3 months old

I have just done the inspection for mine.

I had to supply photo's of my wife and myself in the home plus outside and one of those photo's had to show the house number

He will also have to do a hand drawn map of how to get to the house that he and his wife live in. I had to take 2 witnesses to the IO to be interviewed and they had to sign a paper that we were living together. At the time of the visit the officer took photo's of us in the home and outside the home and he even had a photo taken of us with the witnesses and him together and he also interviewed a couple of neighbours.

I go back to immigration on 4 January for my extension stamp

Edited by Russell17au
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

He can take the marriage certificate to any Amphoe (District Office) and they will be able to confirm if the marriage is still valid.

No chance.

Being married is not enough, the marriage must be "de jure and de facto".

• They will need his wife to attend immigration when he applies, unless there is a compelling reason why she can't (e.g. illness backed up by a doctors letter).
  • They will want signed copies of his wife's ID and Tabian Baan.
  • They will want pictures of the husband/wife at home, and there is a possibility of a home visit.
  • Home visits are highly likely if it's the first application at an office. They will interview neighbours to check that the husband/wife are actually living together. The neighbours will need to provide ID and sign a statement.

Correct although each office has different requirements.  In our province we had to provide, as well as above, a letter from Pu Yai Ban (village head) saying he knew us and we lived together and ID (copy) ,  a witness (not family) to accompany us first application only,  a home visit after first application, chicken soup and fuel money.  I ignored the several hints for the last two  items without any repercussions!  To my knowledge no neighbours were interviewed but it does happen I have been told.