Schoolboy, 8, hands in 40,000 baht at Tesco Lotus - and he's happy with 20 baht reward!

webfact

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm glad the young boy doesn't read this forum. he did the right thing and that is reward in itself. people that need to be rewarded for being honest are missing something. it's kind of like doing good deeds but expecting recognition. doing the right thing and always acting honestly makes me feel good - i don't require rewards for my actions.

Similar think happened to me.. was maybe 9 years old and found a PDA "pocket computer" on the street in Belgium. Those were expensive things and popular before smartphones arrived. I found the owners number on it and called him so he came to pick it up. He said he was going to give me a reward and looked at his wallet, he "only" had 10 and 20€ bills and said he would give me a reward later. 

Never heard of him since, what a <deleted>. Should have kept the PDA!

8 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Disgraceful.

I know a reward is  the choice of the person to whom the money was returned, but it would have been better not to give a reward, than insult him with 20 baht.

I would have told them to stick it.......................... (you know the rest !). 

i just came here to say just that

21 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

i'm glad the young boy doesn't read this forum. he did the right thing and that is reward in itself. people that need to be rewarded for being honest are missing something. it's kind of like doing good deeds but expecting recognition. doing the right thing and always acting honestly makes me feel good - i don't require rewards for my actions.

Spot on!

There was a great Kids book by Enid Blyton: One Good Turn Deserves Another.

We were taught by those excellent principles.

To demand a reward for being honest corrupts the honest!

50 minutes ago, Coconutman said:

He was out 40k and only gave the kid 20 baht.. bet next time the kid keeps  the money.

It doesnt pay to be nice

Wow, in the UK there is a crime called: Stealing by finding.....

Let the boy be honest.....

He was happy with his 20b.

Why not just leave it at that and applaud his honesty?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft_by_finding

9 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Disgraceful.

I know a reward is  the choice of the person to whom the money was returned, but it would have been better not to give a reward, than insult him with 20 baht.

I would have told them to stick it.......................... (you know the rest !). 

exactly,  

10 hours ago, Happy Time Thai said:

A microcosm of how things work here economically and politically. Person with wallet = Gov. 

Child = Gen. Public

40k returned, here's 0.5% typical finders fee would have been at least 750.

Thanks kid, here's some pocket change. I'm surprised he actually got a note and not a bag full of satang. When he gets older he will face palm for sure. Guaranteed. The phrase, "finders keepers, losers weepers" comes to mind with this one

However, good on the kid for showing some class, even if the owner of the cash didn't. I would have slapped a G down on his hand, happily I should add.

Positive teachable moment here missed. But teachable moment there certainly was. Most Thais who see this as well are going to be like, <deleted>?!?! 

One percent of 40,000 is 400. Agreed? So how do you make half of one percent "at least 750"? I make it 200, but if you insist you are right, I obviously went to a wrong school/university.

5 hours ago, geisha said:

Years back in Phuket, I had an early morning call from a Thai friend who had a drinks and beach  chair buisness on Kata beach. I went to see him and he showed me a wallet that he’d found, stuffed with big dollar bills and credit cards. No address, no hotel cards to say who’s it was. He didn’t want to hand it to a policeman.So I suggested we start asking in the nearby hotels receptions If anyone had lost a wallet. An hour later, luck. We asked to see his passport to check the name with the credit cards. He was practically speechless! He’d come back to his hotel via the beach the night before, sat down to smoke a cigarette, and that’s  when the wallet probably fell out. He didn’t miss it until the morning, when he completely freaked out, having lost all his holiday money ! Had kissed it goodbye! He asked my friend OTT what he would like as a reward, which of course he replied “ nothing”. I then said that Ott loved a good whisky, and the man smiled, and said he’d come back later that day. He did. He brought with him a more than half empty bottle of gin. I cannot tell you how speechless I was, and how embarrassed to witness such a disgusting mean action. I feel bad about it to this day. 

Was looking forward to a great end to this story, like he gave him a crate of whisky.

Instead I cringe...

Dare I ask where he was from?

He seems to be a lovely young chap, hopefully he'll stay true to his colours throughout the rest of his life. 

I sincerely hope he makes the 40k millionfold later in life. He deserves it. 

It's people like that boy who restore my ever dwindling respect for mankind. 

As for Moneybags (the owner); I sincerely hope he/she dies with nothing more than ฿ 20 to his/her name. 1K is the min. I would have given - and gladly! 

Just now, janclaes47 said:

The person who took the picture of the boy should have taken a picture of the cheap skate who lost the money, and posted it on social media.

That's what we all wish for..... 

20thb out of 40,000thb just sticks in my craw for lack of a better word.... 

I wouldn't want to wake up and look at the guy  in the mirror if I lost 40k and didn't give the  finder at least 1000thb at the minimum....would it have cost him much extra thought to peel off one of those crispy 1k notes from the bundle of 40 and give it to the kid?!? 

13 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Disgraceful.

What kind of adult even suggests that  a kid thats been brought up honest and respectful should   tell another adult to  'stick it' ??  Obviously you ...Ever heard of  'intrinsic rewards ' ? If theres anything 'disgraceful' here , its some knob racing to be first to  put a 'downer' on a feel good story..

15 hours ago, a1falang said:

For a culture that supposedly cherishes outward appearances and the saving of face, some Thais can sure act in absolutely cringeworthy and contemptible ways. The lesson for this boy is "Next time, kid, just keep the cash."

What sort of crap post is this?

The THAI is being brought up perfectly !

He found someone elses property and  he did the right thing. And so did the staff announcing that the lost property had been found. ( I bet you wished they kept it ...)

Theres only one thing contemptible here ... and its the falang insisting that there is ALWAYS something wrong with Thais ... and going on and < deleted> on how dishonest they are ...

AND then advocating the kid, clearly not expecting anything ,  should not be honest next time !

My god what a pitiful bunch is  much of this  TV  cesspit.

If you cant see that the kid did the truly right thing , and  what  he did  is  what every society would love to see its children do  , then its easy. Just go home... must be much better there with your  national morality Im sure ...