Arise Sir Ringo - Beatles drummer knighted in UK honours list

rooster59

Arise Sir Ringo - Beatles drummer knighted in UK honours list

800x800 (6).jpg

Ringo Starr performs during the 2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony in Cleveland, Ohio April 18, 2015. REUTERS/Aaron Josefczyk

LONDON (Reuters) - Ex-Beatles drummer Ringo Starr has been knighted in Queen Elizabeth's New Year's honours list, along with Bee Gees singer Barry Gibb and author Michael Morpurgo, while ballet dancer Darcey Bussell becomes a dame.

Ringo, 77, real name Richard Starkey, joined the Beatles as a replacement drummer for Pete Best in 1962 and occasionally sang lead vocals, notably in "Yellow Submarine" and "With a Little Help from my Friends."

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a Beatle in 1988 and again in 2015 for his solo career after the group split up.

Gibb, 71, is the British musician who co-founded the Bee Gees with his brothers Robin and Maurice and went on to record a string of pop classics including "Stayin' Alive" and "Night Fever" from the film "Saturday Night Fever."

English author Morpurgo, 74, is best known for children's novels like "War Horse" and was Children's Laureate from 2003 to 2005.

Bussell, 48, is a former principal dancer with the Royal Ballet and currently one of the four judges in the long-running BBC TV ballroom contest "Strictly Come Dancing."

The New Year's honours have been awarded since Queen Victoria's reign in the 19th century and aim to recognise not just well-known figures but those who have contributed to national life through often selfless and unsung contributions over many years.

In that category, Margaret Jamieson, of the Blue Door charity shop on the Scottish island of Orkney is recognised, along with Geoffrey Evans, a local councillor in Falmouth, Cornwall for over 40 years.

Actor Hugh Laurie receives the CBE medal, as does author Jilly Cooper and the former editor of British Vogue magazine Alexandra Shulman.

England women’s cricket captain Heather Knight is made an OBE while hip hop artist Richard Cowie, aka Wiley, is made an MBE, along with Paralympian athlete Stefanie Reid.

The biannual honours list is released on the Queen's official birthday in June and at the end of each year. The list is published by the Cabinet Office and can be seen at www.gov.uk/honours/honours-lists

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-12-30

12 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

So you play the drums and do the voiceover for Thomas the tank engine and you get knighted , wow .

Well, as a part of the Beatles, they did a lot.    Their music was known the world over and brought a great deal of fame, celebrity and pride to the British people.   

Will he be Sir Richard Starkey or Sir Ringo. If it is the former, why then is Sir Cliff not Sir Harry, Elton not Sir Reg, Sir Paul not Sir James. And I guess his wife, Barbara Bach, will be Lady Starkey. However, what is Elton John's 'spouse' called Lady Dwight?

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

Good for Ringo. Now qualifies to play with Sir Douglas Quintet. Nice to see Hugh Laurie getting recognition too.

Ringo on drums, Paul on bass, Elton on keys, Mick & Cliff on backing vocals, Tom & Shirley on lead vocals. And Hugh is no mean piano/blues singer, get him in as well. The Band of Knights !

Edited by wgdanson

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Ringo on drums, Paul on bass, Elton on keys, Mick & Cliff on backing vocals, Tom & Shirley on lead vocals. And Hugh is no mean piano/blues singer, get him in as well. The Band of Knights !

Just need Sir Eric or Sir Hank on guitars.

Well past time to stop this outdated system of ""honours"".

Years ago only people who had really accomplished something for their country received these honours.

Nowadays anyone in fashion or have appeased some poliical party get them.

Nonsense in the 21st century and should be abolished

Most nations throughout the world have an honours system, in which heads of state confer orders and medals on their countrymen and foreign nationals as a reward for their outstanding contribution to the greater good of society.

It works by nomination. So if someone would nominate  Jonnapat for "services to" and it passed the civil servants then you could get honoured. Many people who have done good things do not get honoured. 

Should the "Queen" stop sending telegrams to people on their 100th birthday as well, et al? Doesn't do any harm.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 12:24 PM, VocalNeal said:

It works by nomination. So if someone would nominate  Jonnapat for "services to" and it passed the civil servants then you could get honoured. Many people who have done good things do not get honoured. 

Should the "Queen" stop sending telegrams to people on their 100th birthday as well, et al? Doesn't do any harm.

I agree with you but the queens message only goes to those who ask for it, it has to be applied for.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:34 AM, bert bloggs said:

So you play the drums and do the voiceover for Thomas the tank engine and you get knighted , wow .

He was knighted for "services" to music, whatever that means, not for being the second best drummer in the Beatles.

Paul was already knighted and I don't know that he did much outside of being a musician, either.

It's all just a farce anway, as something for the chattering classes to get excited about.

I'd like to see them have to win a joust or three to qualify.

16 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Why did you omit the huge amount of charity work that he does when condemning him?

I was just looking for that on the internet, but I couldn't find any among the tidal wave about his "honor". I don't doubt that he did some, but millions of people do and don't get knighted.

That's not to say he didn't deserve it.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

When a reporter asked John Lennon if Ringo was the best drummer in the world, John said "he is not even the best drummer in the Beatles." Says it all really.

That oh so human trait of bullying others is just so pervasive.

Sad really.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Where does bullying come into it?

I read John Lennon's biography years ago and as much as I love the man's music and admire his talent, he was certainly not a particularly nice person   at least during part of his life.

Both Lennon and Sir McCarthy had no problem letting George  Harrison and Ringo Star  know who were the "important" members of the Beatles.

3 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I read John Lennon's biography years ago and as much as I love the man's music and admire his talent, he was certainly not a particularly nice person   at least during part of his life.

Both Lennon and Sir McCarthy had no problem letting George  Harrison and Ringo Star  know who were the "important" members of the Beatles.

I'm sorry to disappoint  you, but without Lennon and McCartney and later George Harrison who were the talented members of the Beatles, Ringo Starr would probably now be cleaning windows in Birkenhead.