167 people killed in road accidents for the first three days

rooster59

There is one thing they lack in Thailand, respect for each other, this one sees when they drive a car or motorcycle, loud music, a lot of dogs who barks  night, rubbish they throw all over, they do not care about having  normal behavior.
When this goes up to them that this is the problem ,then one will see a change, not what the so-called policies say

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thais in general just think they are the only ones on the road, completely oblivious to anyone or anything around them, no spacial awareness, weaving in and out parked traffic to try and find their favourite somtam, changing lanes over and over to gain a couple of meters, constantly on the phone, complete disregard for red lights, double parking instead of walking 20 meters, just selfish crap drivers that should not be in charge of any sort of machinery!!

Happy new year LOL!!!

It's not so much the drinking and driving that kills; it's the drinking and driving like a flaming idiot that kills. In fact, you can eliminate the drinking part. It's the driving like a flaming idiot that kills.

Seriously, what can one possibly expect of a people with such a strong external locus of control?

I've mentioned this before as the main factor that must be changed before any serious reversal of road carnage can be envisioned.

Considering the added number of vehicles on the road during the holidays not a bad count of deaths. They have more just on a normal day. O, well they could get it down to 50 for the period and the folks who complain will continue to complain.

15 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Thais in general just think they are the only ones on the road, completely oblivious to anyone or anything around them, no spacial awareness, weaving in and out parked traffic to try and find their favourite somtam, changing lanes over and over to gain a couple of meters, constantly on the phone, complete disregard for red lights, double parking instead of walking 20 meters, just selfish crap drivers that should not be in charge of any sort of machinery!!

Happy new year LOL!!!

One of my favorite types of morons that I see virtually every trip up Highway 11 near CM are the idiots who are cutting in and out of traffic at excessive speed, cutting off cars as they pass them, flashing their light and blowing their horns, using the shoulder and any other lane in order to gain a couple of extra yards on the road, and 5 minutes later you find that they are only two car lengths in front of you when they reached the next stop light down the road which they were obviously unable to run.  Of course now they are on the left shoulder blocking all traffic from making free left hand turns as they wait to jump the traffic once the light turns red.  Yep.  Happy New Year Carnage Thai folk.  Ya'll are finally first place in the world at something.  Gotta maintain the image I guess. Congratulations. :thumbsup:

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

With nearly 50% of all the accidents being caused by drink driving, the time has come for Thailand to treat the matter seriously. No more petty fines or bribes on the side the road. When people know they are going to face serious jail time for drink driving, regardless of who they are, we will see the number of innocent lives lost drop dramatically. Then they need to get real with road law enforcement, though we all know none of this is likely to happen, as the Government doesn't have the balls to actually implement unpopular policies, so the dead will continue to mount up.

Would need a huge amount of extra police to enforce it, far larger judicial system to process it, new jails to house the convicted etc etc,

I'm sure you'd be happy to pay twice as much for your vehicle registration fee to fund it, but I doubt the THAIS would be happy to do so, many of which make very little money.

I have no doubt that when the THAI people want to change things, they will do so.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

2 hours ago, tore stenberg said:
There is one thing they lack in Thailand, respect for each other, this one sees when they drive a car or motorcycle, loud music, a lot of dogs who barks  night, rubbish they throw all over, they do not care about having  normal behavior.
When this goes up to them that this is the problem ,then one will see a change, not what the so-called policies say

I see this sort of complaint on TVF all the time, but it's not like the Thais suddenly changed from a "better" version recently, so every single person complaining about it has known for as long as they have lived in LOS that it is like this and isn't going to change any time soon.

So, my question is why, if they feel so strongly that Thai society is incompatible with THEIR standards, do they continue to live here?

21 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Deja Vu?...............I'm sure I have read this before?

Chicken essence ,giving away pineapples and selfies just does not cut it!!

Life jail sentence fro drunk driving causing death might help.

Confiscation of vehicles for good and 2 years jail for first offence drunk driving might help.

22 hours ago, Ossy said:

167 deaths already registered but many more expected from those with life-threatening injuries in hospital. These typically add a further 10% onto the initial figure, 16 let's say, giving a 'grand' - no sic-pun intended - total of 183.

Last year's 3-day total was 199, so we could be in for a nigh-on10% reduction . . . if we're not careful.

Curious the number is different !!!!! Summary of road accident statistics on 30 Dec 60 occurred 649 times, 73 people died, 688 injured, 3 days total, 1,793 people were injured, provinces urged to increase concentration in law enforcement. Especially drunk driving .. On December 31, 1960, Maj. Gen. Rakrim Limsakul, Commissary CID 3, revealed that the Center for the Prevention and Reduction of Road Accidents, Dec 60, which is the third day of the campaign. 'Drive car Traffic discipline 'accident 649 times, 73 deaths, 688 injured

My wifes sister has a small  Mini Mart  on the side of a busy road just outside Pattaya.

I have been sat there while my missus ratchet jaws with her sister and have witnessed stop and buy Alcohol.

I have seen drivers of the big truck and drag units, mini van drivers, and even coach drivers purchase booze from her store.

Every single one of them has had the bottle cap removed from their selected drink prior to re-entering the vehicle.

For sure, the tops are removed to drink the contents while on the move ( as for photo Re 4MY ego )

With a culture such as this toward drink driving, I am surprised there are not ore accidents and fatalities.

A pitiful state of affairs when the powers that be allow such carnage to continue with only an eye for profits from alcohol sales.

22 hours ago, darksidedog said:

With nearly 50% of all the accidents being caused by drink driving, the time has come for Thailand to treat the matter seriously. No more petty fines or bribes on the side the road. When people know they are going to face serious jail time for drink driving, regardless of who they are, we will see the number of innocent lives lost drop dramatically. Then they need to get real with road law enforcement, though we all know none of this is likely to happen, as the Government doesn't have the balls to actually implement unpopular policies, so the dead will continue to mount up.

Would have thought the junta with no one to oppose them would have done something about it. They're supposed to be so freaking brilliant.

17 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Dunno why this keeps being a story, it's the same every single year.
Bit like flooding. You can just recycle the same news articles year after year.
Must make being a journalist a little like a grade school teacher who just trots out the same lesson plan year after year

Yes, so true. In the case of weather related items, it is often the same report as last year, they just change the date. I have spotted this in news on 'cold spells', droughts, blankets given to the elderly, holiday traffic conditions, provinces where rain is expected, tourist numbers, and anything on Songkran, which let's face it, is a recurring nightmare.

On 12/31/2017 at 3:14 PM, Ossy said:

167 deaths already registered but many more expected from those with life-threatening injuries in hospital. These typically add a further 10% onto the initial figure, 16 let's say, giving a 'grand' - no sic-pun intended - total of 183.

Last year's 3-day total was 199, so we could be in for a nigh-on10% reduction . . . if we're not careful.

Yes... but last year was the worst ever.... I think it was 178 for the first three days in 2015/2016. 

Looking at the average since 2010, the roads are on target for a great red win.

oh.... thailand posted roughly 10,000 deaths against the international recording of 24,000. So.... given that, apply 2.4:1 against thai numbers... wunderbar.... 400!!!!

Edited by farcanell

17 hours ago, poohy said:

All this shows is a meagre reduction  of deaths from normal days

So surely it mean the whatever policing Blah blah must be extended to 365 days a year!

Again..... Thai authorities reported an average of 27 deaths per day in 2016.

you are (today) reading stats from these very same sources, which show an alarming rise in the comparative numbers

factor in that the alarmingly high red celebration days, raise the national average.... then the average for non red days goes down from 27, in reality, making the gap even worse.

but yes.... the police force should operate 24/7 X 365.... any government official who doesn’t support this should be fired!

The Thais have a world record at stake and aren't going to allow a few undeveloped African nations to steal the crown. Being a global hub (of anything) is so important. Let's not talk about the fact the army was going to save the nation. Can't even figure out how to stop road accidents. 

Edited by Purdey
Spelling mistakes

The stats are fascinating, I'm sure, and they are actually ahead of target, some thirty deaths less than the same time last year. But with drunken driving and speeding - which with Thais, involves high speeds in the most incredulously stupid circumstances, and involving the most insane manoeuvres - the authorities still have a long way to go.

They could almost charge the the drunks with malice aforethought, but proving any kind of aforethought would, with the majority of Thai drivers, be nigh on impossible.

5 minutes ago, Purdey said:

The Thais have a world record at stake and aren't going to allow a few undeveloped African nations to steal the crown. Being a global hub (of anything) is so important. Let's not talk about the fact the army was going to save the nation. Can't even figure out how to stop road accidents. 

It's not supposed to be the army's job. But then, it doesn't seem to be the RTP's, either.

53 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Yes... but last year was the worst ever.... I think it was 178 for the first three days in 2015/2016. 

Looking at the average since 2010, the roads are on target for a great red win.

oh.... thailand posted roughly 10,000 deaths against the international recording of 24,000. So.... given that, apply 2.4:1 against thai numbers... wunderbar.... 400!!!!

Given the 24,000 would include the 10,000 ...