Smokers on Hua hin Beach Jan 1.

Elkski

5 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Really??  This really is old news.  It must have been at least a month ago this law came in to affect...its all forgotten now or they are waiting for day to day updates of whether to enforce or not like riding in the back of pick-ups. 

The campaign started a couple of months ago but the law will not be enforced until 1st February.  It's been well publicised.  Smoke now and the worst you'll get is to be told that after the 1st you will be fined.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Smoke now and the worst you'll get is to be told that after the 1st you will be fined.

What? Just like all bars that are now supposed to be non-smoking, yet still supply ashtrays?

That rule came in years ago.

I'll give the beaches a couple of months for fines and then it'll slowly revert back.

On 1/1/2018 at 6:24 PM, 55Jay said:

It used to be about that.  But once the wild-eyed non-smoking nazis got lobbying traction and law makers on their side, the real truth came out.  They really just don't like the smell.  My Dad is one of those <deleted>.  The mere whiff of burning tobacco, even far away in a (now nearly non-existent) smoking section, he's up complaining to the waiter that "their" air is messing up his personal habitat bubble. 

I get it and got it more after I stopped smoking, it stinks.  But I never became THAT militant about it.   Ex Drunks, Ex Smokers and Born Again Christians can be some of the most annoying people on the planet.

drunks, smokers and any type of religionists are annoying; the only saving grace is that drunks and smokers don't try to sell you their problem

18 hours ago, jkcjag said:

Why cannot smokers understand the impact. I suppose that a smokers sense of smell must indeed be affected by smoking, since they cannot understand why non-smokers complain. It doesn't matter how open the environment is, if you've never smoked, or don't smoke, then the irritation of even the slightest whiff of someone's cigarette IS a big problem. Apart from the bad smell, even from 20 or 30 m away in an outside restaurant, or on the beach...it doesn't matter...I immediately get a pain behind the eyes and have to move away. So I agree absolutely...someone's whole beach experience can be easily ruined by random 2nd hand outside smoke! Smoke as much as you like if you can keep the smoke inside a confined airspace around yourself, but don't think that just because you are in an outside environment that you are not affecting others, because you are. 

I would agree it's a problem but it's not a BIG problem.  That's the distinction being made.  Rabid non-smokers overreact because they can.  Some come off as professional grievance mongers. 

19 hours ago, jkcjag said:

Why cannot smokers understand the impact. I suppose that a smokers sense of smell must indeed be affected by smoking, since they cannot understand why non-smokers complain. It doesn't matter how open the environment is, if you've never smoked, or don't smoke, then the irritation of even the slightest whiff of someone's cigarette IS a big problem. Apart from the bad smell, even from 20 or 30 m away in an outside restaurant, or on the beach...it doesn't matter...I immediately get a pain behind the eyes and have to move away. So I agree absolutely...someone's whole beach experience can be easily ruined by random 2nd hand outside smoke! Smoke as much as you like if you can keep the smoke inside a confined airspace around yourself, but don't think that just because you are in an outside environment that you are not affecting others, because you are. 

Have you ever been to Thailand?

I'm just wondering how you would manage to walk past a Thai restaurant/market/Soi without your delicate olfactory sense being deeply offended by the every day smells.

Where do we meet for the bet.  I'm in Thailand for 2 weeks.  Make it worth my time.  Devise a good experiment.  1000 may have been a bit of a  stretch but I open my wallet for 500 meters

13 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Where do we meet for the bet.  I'm in Thailand for 2 weeks.  Make it worth my time.  Devise a good experiment.  1000 may have been a bit of a  stretch but I open my wallet for 500 meters

So you now admit that you were talking BS when you said that you could smell cigarette smoke at 1,000 meters and have decided to opt for half the distance.

As for your experiment, I'm in Bangkok just cutting into a wedge of cheese, using your extraordinary nasal senses please advise me of the following:

What type of cheese is it?

What is the name of the Farm that it was produced at?

Edited by Annunaki

I would think we will need a rice Patty and 10 knot steady hi direction breeze.   Let's say you were smoking and I found the location of wind clock direction across the 500 m. then you could stop and I would walk back and forth and tell you when you lit up again.   I'm sure I could smell a smoker at 500 m and maybe more. 

PS. Elk herd population and distribution is larger than in 1940.  Mostly thanks to sportsman fees.   Also only vegetarians can talk smack about how we choose to kill our meat.   At Burger King the BBQ chicken stall or harvesting a wild animal.  

I'm a vegetarian and a non-smoker but not one who whinges at other peoples lifestyle choices or let other peoples habits ruin my life.

Where I come from, people who worry about others problems more than their own are called busybodies.

AS far as I'm concerned that would be a pretty pathetic thing to be.

On 1/4/2018 at 3:13 PM, Elkski said:

I have 5 senses.  Seeing and smelling a smoker attacks two of my 5.   Yes Everytime I see a smoker I think about the horrible death his close relationship are going to witness and the costs to society in health care costs.   I also have a nose that I would say is in the top 25% of sensitivity.  I have smelled  pot or cigarette smoke  from 1000 meters.   I know this because I shoot some long distance shooting and the wind came directly across an open golf course and I could see people on the balcony in the exact direction of the wind.    If you wouldn't mind me slapping you in the face that's your choice but I react this strongly to 2 nd hand smoke.   I'm sure as a smoker many of you have lost a large amount of your smelling ability.   I have been known on several occasions to smell elk at 200 meters.  When I signal to my hunting buddies now, they  faithfully follow me.   I also believe I could tell when my ex wife was ovulating.   This may be TMI   But I hope it shuts some of you a$# holes up!

I am really good at smelling bullshit, and I can even smell it through computer screens

On 02/01/2018 at 10:50 AM, Elkski said:

I think 3 were Thais.  1 i was 90% sure.  A bum in rubber boots. Im Glad Thailand has realized that smoke free clean beaches are why most people visit a beach.  There were horses but I never saw dropping except 2 times being carried in plastic bags by a well marked concession man.   

Most people visit the beach to be close to a place to swim, you apparently go to the beach to scrutinise the behaviour of horses and see who might be polluting your "clean air" - have you seen the stats! https://www.numbeo.com/pollution/country_result.jsp?country=Thailand

When I was a young lad at 7 I told my mom she didn't have a right to contaminate my air. That was like in 1967 and had nothing to do with any government determination.   It's basically logic.   Why do you smokers worry about this?  How can you refute the obvious effect you have to the air.  Just imagine Bkk where you can go out for a night without smoke smell on your hair and clothes.    If you smokers don't comply the fines will just get bigger.  

24 minutes ago, Elkski said:

When I was a young lad at 7 I told my mom she didn't have a right to contaminate my air. That was like in 1967 and had nothing to do with any government determination.   It's basically logic.   Why do you smokers worry about this?  How can you refute the obvious effect you have to the air.  Just imagine Bkk where you can go out for a night without smoke smell on your hair and clothes.    If you smokers don't comply the fines will just get bigger.  

Oh my God,  I never realized that this problem had reached these massive proportions.

Quick, knock up some placards, we'll march to Washington and bring down the evil empire of Nick O'Teen.

Bring back Nixon or Reagan I say, they would nail these smokers to a wall.

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 3:50 AM, Elkski said:

Im Glad Thailand has realized that smoke free clean beaches are why most people visit a beach.

Really?  So as a small child when your parents said you were all going to the beach, you'd shout out "Yes!!! A smoke free afternoon!"

As a teenager you'd be heading to the beach with your teenage mates saying "come on lads, let's go and have some smoke free air on the beach".

You really think this is why most people visit a beach?

37 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Have you ever considered the possibility that you are the problem?

There might be an operation you can have to reduce the over-sensitivity of your nose/mind.

On 1/2/2018 at 2:10 AM, bendejo said:

The big question is whether these were occidental tourists or Thais (or possibly tourists who looked East Asian)?

My guess is there will soon enough be self-styled patrols working on commission, in the same way as the ones who follow tourists around on lower Suk in Bkk waiting to fine them for improper disposal of cigarette butts.  Will be curious to hear witness accounts once things get going, to see if this rule actually pertains to Thais.

(or possibly tourists who looked East Asian)?

eeehh? so what about it? East, West, North  or South Asians?

You've forgotten that you are in Asia?

PUKE

3 hours ago, Elkski said:

Are you actually Teenwolf?

On 02/01/2018 at 3:50 AM, Elkski said:

I think 3 were Thais.  1 i was 90% sure.  A bum in rubber boots. Im Glad Thailand has realized that smoke free clean beaches are why most people visit a beach.  There were horses but I never saw dropping except 2 times being carried in plastic bags by a well marked concession man.   

Dont be absurd , clean beaches yes but 99% of tourists couldn't care less about people smoking outside.

20 hours ago, Elkski said:

OK, let's assume that you are indeed the olfactory superman of mankind.

You are standing on a beach with a smoker 500m away from you. You are directly downwind of them.

Let's do a little math, shall we?

Radius = 500m.

Diameter = 1000m.

Circumference = Pi x diameter = 3142m.

One degree = 3142 / 360 = 8.73m.

If the wind shifts by only one degree, you wouldn't be able to smell the cigarette.

What are the chances that you would be directly downwind from that cigarette? Very small.

As for why smokers get get pi55ed off at non-smokers complaining about smokers outside, here are my three reasons.

It's so easy for you to avoid and the amount of smoke is tiny, insignificant. Get some exercise and move a few metres.

You never bring up car exhausts, rubbish burning, farmers burning their fields which is a million times worse than a cigarette. You pick the easy target, the target that's been villified.

Smokers have in general, bent over backwards to accommodate non-smokers, yet, still that's not enough. Tolerance should be a two-way street.

PS. I'm an ex-smoker who kicked the habit.

Edited by KarenBravo

It shows how ignorant some of you are.   Now I see why so many smokers are so inconsiderate. Some day the world will look back on smoking and wonder how could humans have been so stupid.  Until then !!!   I know there are more people like me  than those posting negative here but they are smarter than me and know it's senseless to waste time with people like you.  

If I can smell smoke at 5 m, 50, or 500 m and I say it has a negative effect on me you smokers think it's your right!  I think this thread has served it's purpose.  It shows the world how far we need to mature as a people.   I'm sorry your addiction affects your brain send your laziness to find a secluded place where no one is down wind.   I hate to generalize but smokers are generally terrible out of breath at the slightest exercise.  

I don't. I have been on the beach a few times this week in late afternoon and observed several inconsiderate Europeans with their cigarettes. Take a guess where they tossed their butts.  I was walking a good 20 meters behind and could smell it. The illegal restaurants have multiple smokers who toss their ash and butts wherever they wish. The one next to the sewage run off klong is especially bad. I suppose  it goes with allowing their kids to play in that discharge water or sitting in the effluent water while they eat.

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

I don't. I have been on the beach a few times this week in late afternoon and observed several inconsiderate Europeans with their cigarettes. Take a guess where they tossed their butts.  I was walking a good 20 meters behind and could smell it. The illegal restaurants have multiple smokers who toss their ash and butts wherever they wish. The one next to the sewage run off klong is especially bad. I suppose  it goes with allowing their kids to play in that discharge water or sitting in the effluent water while they eat.

You go to a beach with a sewage run off in it and your biggest problem is the smell of cigarette smoke that has near on decapitated into the air. :crazy:

1 hour ago, Annunaki said:

You go to a beach with a sewage run off in it and your biggest problem is the smell of cigarette smoke that has near on decapitated into the air. :crazy:

I think GK is mocking the Elkski, who has till not answered my question as to if he was Teenwolf

t