Smokers on Hua hin Beach Jan 1.

Elkski

Spent about 3 hours on the beach today south of the Hilton by main road.   I was loving the clean sand and lack of 2 nd hand smoke.   But then in the next couple hours I was awakened from this Utopia dream and  saw and smelled 4 smokers.   Never saw an enforcement officer.   I sent out NYE texts to home and got a non smoking text from Thai government.    Not sure if my outgoing texts prompted this.  

This beach is an area under the Measure for Marine and Coastal Resources Protection. 
Please strictly follow the rules: 
1. DO NOT smoke or discard cigarette butts and/or garbage in the specified beaches. 
2. Smoking and littering is ONLY allowed in provided area. 
OFFENDERS shall be punished by force of the Act on the Promotion of Marine and Coastal Resources Management, B.E. 2558 (2015) 
From...Department Of Marine And Coastal Resources, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment

Edited by Rimmer
Thai Text removed

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Makes me laugh when people object to second-hand smoke from a cigarette when outside.

It used to be about that.  But once the wild-eyed non-smoking nazis got lobbying traction and law makers on their side, the real truth came out.  They really just don't like the smell.  My Dad is one of those <deleted>.  The mere whiff of burning tobacco, even far away in a (now nearly non-existent) smoking section, he's up complaining to the waiter that "their" air is messing up his personal habitat bubble. 

I get it and got it more after I stopped smoking, it stinks.  But I never became THAT militant about it.   Ex Drunks, Ex Smokers and Born Again Christians can be some of the most annoying people on the planet.

As I sat on the 14 hour flight to Taipei I remembered when there was a smoking section on airplanes.   The world does change for the better Sometimes.   What you complainers   don't  get it my right to my space not affected by your freedoms trumps your right to degrade mine.  

Yep.  That's the regurgitated rhetoric right there ^.   It's like pulling the chord on the back of a talking doll's neck. 

Even when I was a smoker and you could still smoke on planes, I didn't.  Too confined and out of respect for people around me + didn't want to reek like an ashtray on arrival at destination.  You wouldn't have known I was a smoker the way I evil-eyed them, especially the bloody chain smokers, one after another.  Really?  Come on!

46 minutes ago, Elkski said:

As I sat on the 14 hour flight to Taipei I remembered when there was a smoking section on airplanes.   The world does change for the better Sometimes.   What you complainers   don't  get it my right to my space not affected by your freedoms trumps your right to degrade mine.  

Anyway, sorry for the rude diversion on your thread.  But you left the world hanging after the text message.  What happened next?

Edited by 55Jay

10 hours ago, Elkski said:

saw and smelled 4 smokers

The big question is whether these were occidental tourists or Thais (or possibly tourists who looked East Asian)?

My guess is there will soon enough be self-styled patrols working on commission, in the same way as the ones who follow tourists around on lower Suk in Bkk waiting to fine them for improper disposal of cigarette butts.  Will be curious to hear witness accounts once things get going, to see if this rule actually pertains to Thais.

I think 3 were Thais.  1 i was 90% sure.  A bum in rubber boots. Im Glad Thailand has realized that smoke free clean beaches are why most people visit a beach.  There were horses but I never saw dropping except 2 times being carried in plastic bags by a well marked concession man.   

On 02/01/2018 at 1:50 PM, Elkski said:

I think 3 were Thais.  1 i was 90% sure.  A bum in rubber boots. Im Glad Thailand has realized that smoke free clean beaches are why most people visit a beach.  There were horses but I never saw dropping except 2 times being carried in plastic bags by a well marked concession man.   

Quite obvious all the other pollution amounst the sand didn't bother you. 

On 02/01/2018 at 10:50 AM, Elkski said:

Agreed:   Jom Tien beach is ruined by (mostly) farangs, occupying chairs nearest the sea, and their 2nd hand smoke wafting over everyone else.  I  voted with my feet and wallet.  

2 minutes ago, ThaiTrav said:

Quite obvious all the other pollution amounst the sand didn't bother you. 

Or the water.  Gulf of Thailand is a toilet, although Hua Hin gets flushed out a bit more than further up the commode. 

Edited by 55Jay

56 minutes ago, masuk said:

Agreed:   Jom Tien beach is ruined by (mostly) farangs, occupying chairs nearest the sea, and their 2nd hand smoke wafting over everyone else. 

Really? Your whole beach experience gets ruined by some random 2nd hand outside smoke? I think you got much bigger problems.

Edited by wump

I have 5 senses.  Seeing and smelling a smoker attacks two of my 5.   Yes Everytime I see a smoker I think about the horrible death his close relationship are going to witness and the costs to society in health care costs.   I also have a nose that I would say is in the top 25% of sensitivity.  I have smelled  pot or cigarette smoke  from 1000 meters.   I know this because I shoot some long distance shooting and the wind came directly across an open golf course and I could see people on the balcony in the exact direction of the wind.    If you wouldn't mind me slapping you in the face that's your choice but I react this strongly to 2 nd hand smoke.   I'm sure as a smoker many of you have lost a large amount of your smelling ability.   I have been known on several occasions to smell elk at 200 meters.  When I signal to my hunting buddies now, they  faithfully follow me.   I also believe I could tell when my ex wife was ovulating.   This may be TMI   But I hope it shuts some of you a$# holes up!

Edited by Elkski

10 minutes ago, Elkski said:

I have 5 senses.  Seeing and smelling a smoker attacks two of my 5.   Yes Everytime I see a smoker I think about the horrible death his close relationship are going to witness and the costs to society in health care costs.   I also have a nose that I would say is in the top 25% of sensitivity.  I have smelled  pot or cigarette smoke  from 1000 meters.   I know this because I shoot some long distance shooting and the wind came directly across an open golf course and I could see people on the balcony in the exact direction of the wind.    If you wouldn't mind me slapping you in the face that's your choice but I react this strongly to 2 nd hand smoke.   I'm sure as a smoker many of you have lost a large amount of your smelling ability.   I have been known on several occasions to smell elk at 200 meters.  When I signal to my hunting buddies now, they  faithfully follow me.   I also believe I could tell when my ex wife was ovulating.   This may be TMI   But I hope it shuts some of you a$# holes up!

You can smell cigarette smoke that has been dispersed in the air from 1,000 meters away?

Sorry but I'm calling you out on this.

I don't care how special you think you are, you do not have a stronger sense of smell than any human that has ever lived on this planet.

Next time if you are losing an argument, it is best to keep quite rather than spouting BS.

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Or the water.  Gulf of Thailand is a toilet, although Hua Hin gets flushed out a bit more than further up the commode. 

It's not only Thailand.   BALI is shooting itself in the foot.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5217029/Bali-declares-garbage-emergency-amid-sea-waste.html

9 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

.....and meanwhile all these non-smokers that are holier than though are driving cars (past schools and hospitals), belching out worse gases and particulates than any cigarette. There's a word for that; it's called hypocrisy......

Or shooting Elk or other wildlife 'for sport'.

Nice people these non-smokers.

1 hour ago, wump said:

Really? Your whole beach experience gets ruined by some random 2nd hand outside smoke? I think you got much bigger problems.

Why cannot smokers understand the impact. I suppose that a smokers sense of smell must indeed be affected by smoking, since they cannot understand why non-smokers complain. It doesn't matter how open the environment is, if you've never smoked, or don't smoke, then the irritation of even the slightest whiff of someone's cigarette IS a big problem. Apart from the bad smell, even from 20 or 30 m away in an outside restaurant, or on the beach...it doesn't matter...I immediately get a pain behind the eyes and have to move away. So I agree absolutely...someone's whole beach experience can be easily ruined by random 2nd hand outside smoke! Smoke as much as you like if you can keep the smoke inside a confined airspace around yourself, but don't think that just because you are in an outside environment that you are not affecting others, because you are. 

18 minutes ago, jkcjag said:

Why cannot smokers understand the impact. I suppose that a smokers sense of smell must indeed be affected by smoking, since they cannot understand why non-smokers complain. It doesn't matter how open the environment is, if you've never smoked, or don't smoke, then the irritation of even the slightest whiff of someone's cigarette IS a big problem. Apart from the bad smell, even from 20 or 30 m away in an outside restaurant, or on the beach...it doesn't matter...I immediately get a pain behind the eyes and have to move away. So I agree absolutely...someone's whole beach experience can be easily ruined by random 2nd hand outside smoke! Smoke as much as you like if you can keep the smoke inside a confined airspace around yourself, but don't think that just because you are in an outside environment that you are not affecting others, because you are. 

So, how do you handle drains, toilets, farts? However you do it, just apply that same method to cigarette smoke outdoors. Try breathing through your mouth.

Pain behind the eyes? Bullshit.

Do you drive a car?

Edited by KarenBravo

On 1/2/2018 at 10:50 AM, Elkski said:

Im Glad Thailand has realized that smoke free clean beaches are why most people visit a beach.

Yes, the tourists are just dying to go to the smoke free beaches!  They will not be put off by the stench of the raw sewage that is pumped directly into the gulf!  I am certain that the piles of trash everywhere will not deter them at all!

On 1/1/2018 at 6:33 PM, Elkski said:

As I sat on the 14 hour flight to Taipei I remembered when there was a smoking section on airplanes.   The world does change for the better Sometimes.   

I was in a plane smoking section once.  I was a non smoker but for some reason I thought it would be ok and I don't think I had any choice.  I came to find out everyone in the smoking section were non-smokers and the smokers were sitting up front just coming into our section for a smoke then returning to the comfort of the non smoking section.  Basically it meant having a constant flow or people blow smoke in my face for the entire flight.  It's kind of amazing that was ever legal.

6 hours ago, wump said:

spot on, I was about to comment the same to those extreme morons...they're pushing it too far ! Inside smoking: not done, outside yes. If one objects to the latter, my mouth, then my fist is in alarm phase 1 :)