Massive rise in New Year lawbreaking on the Thai roads - nearly 50% more drunks

webfact

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

There is 1 question that has not been asked.

How many of these drunk drivers, riders without a helmet, no licenses, unregistered vehicles were allowed to continue driving and riding after they were stopped?

Sometimes they have to wait for the cop to leave, before marching merrily on

im wondering about how many offenses were committed by the same people, raising “offense” citations numbers, vs the actually no of people stopped.... making them sound more proactive

thats cynical, right?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cry cry cry me a river why did you come to Thailand in the first place I am sure not for the top notch law enforcement or the possiblity of that happening any time soon. If the lack of enforcement has some of you so up set find a nanny state you can move to. Stay off the roads during the holidays and you should be ok.

11 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Day 1: 48 deaths (42 last year)
Day 2: 51 deaths (71 last year)
Day 3: 78 deaths (86 last year) 
Day 4: 69 deaths (81 last year)
Day 5: 71 deaths (87 last year)
Day 6: xx deaths (59 last year)
Day 7: xx deaths (52 last year)

Total so far: 317 deaths, 3,188 injuries in 3,056 reported accidents.

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2017/12/full-road-accident-statistics-for-new-year-2017-2018-in-thailand/

From

How many Deaths on Motorcycles? If majority of Accidents are from Motorcycles (72 - 84%) Why is every picture shown involving Car or Truck!! I have yet to see even just one picture of a Motorcycle!!  How many were cause by Motorcycle...? How many were caused by other Vehicles but involved Motorcycle??? Article saying that Motorcycles "HAD" 72-84% of the Accidents this New Years is wrong! Biased! Or just plain False!!

Edited by davidstipek

14 hours ago, robblok said:

I know you hate the junta but stay reasonable.. far more logical that there were more checks. Your tale is funny to see how much you hate the junta to even bend these things this way. 

But its a good try though. 

The Junta came to power on the back of the claim to improve Thai Society. Their supporters say that the resulting censorship and restriction of human rights is a price worth paying. However if nothing changes , which seems to be the case , then that argument fails as does the case for military rule .

I have seen some bad accidents here They are scary  Believe me they stick in your mind for a long time  We were travelling to Chock Mek at night and my stepdaughter was driving because i am that scared on driving  on Thai highways This lady on a motor bike came around a U turn at night no lights no helmet and turned right in front of us I screamed So did my step daughter It was close We were doing about 100 kms per hour The lady on bike did not even look If we were driving faster like most Thais do we would of hit her

6 hours ago, davidstipek said:

How many Deaths on Motorcycles? If majority of Accidents are from Motorcycles (72 - 84%) Why is every picture shown involving Car or Truck!! I have yet to see even just one picture of a Motorcycle!!  How many were cause by Motorcycle...? How many were caused by other Vehicles but involved Motorcycle??? Article saying that Motorcycles "HAD" 72-84% of the Accidents this New Years is wrong! Biased! Or just plain False!!

Which has more visual impact in a photograph - a multiple vehicle collision, or a scooter that has hit a tree?

Of course scooters/motorbikes are more dangerous. They don't have seatbelts or airbags.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Which has more visual impact in a photograph - a multiple vehicle collision, or a scooter that has hit a tree?

Of course scooters/motorbikes are more dangerous. They don't have seatbelts or airbags.

Or the riders dont wear helmets

19 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Maybe they caught 50% more people.... I think the numbers are similar every year tho

Exactly, more policing.

And that is what is required. They were out pulling over loaded up pickups and helmet-less riders on Pattaya 3rd yesterday. Personally I think a fine isn't enough, real inconvenience like vehicle confiscation for a spell may work better.

Until being a nation of  scofflaws is no longer the case.

12 minutes ago, wvavin said:

Who cares how many idiots died by drinking? 

Well I would like to see it reduced, and innocent sober people not included in drunken carnage, and the drunk father's kids not harmed. The consequences just aren't that selective.

19 hours ago, robblok said:

Wonder if it was more people breaking the law or more people  being checked. 

I would go with being checked.

If they are serious then bring in harsh  penalty's for drunk driving as other countries, NZ has zero tolerance at Xmas and holidays for alcohol and stiff penalties which scare people out of risking driving drunk.

As for helmets I don't notice many Thais wearing them and children still 3 and one adult on bike with no protection, many falangs ignore helmets as well so enforcement is not happening where I live. Only enforcement is when they need tea money.

52 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Exactly, more policing.

And that is what is required. They were out pulling over loaded up pickups and helmet-less riders on Pattaya 3rd yesterday. Personally I think a fine isn't enough, real inconvenience like vehicle confiscation for a spell may work better.

Until being a nation of  scofflaws is no longer the case.

One night i was standing outside my wife's cafe /resturant and there is a bar close by  I was just looking at the traffic minding my own business (best way here) and i looked and out came this guy from the bar He was so drunk he could hardly walk  and i thought surely he is not going to drive Surely he will do the right thing like they do where i come from and call a taxi . But no he was heading towards his car ready to drive  And he did  For 1 sec i turned to the wife and said i should go over and tell him to stop and take a taxi, But as the wife pointed out  you could cause big trouble because you are a farang not Thai. It ran in my mind really i did not care if he killed himself but what about the others he might kill Anybody else come across this situation and thought about doing  the same thing i thought of? I find in Thailand Thais would not even think they would try and stop this guy It is like they dont care what damage he can do

1 hour ago, wvavin said:

Who cares how many idiots died by drinking? 

I think what is lacking is education about drink driving and what damage and what are the risks Maybe that is where the government is lacking  Maybe something like a catchy phrase to Thais would be " Its not cool to drink drive"

12 hours ago, robblok said:

Still a 4000 baht fine is quite a bit of money for people so I think it does send a message. Its not perfect yet but better than before. Now if they only did this regularly.

Fine, think that was just straight out bribery. 

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Thanks for confirming the bleeding obvious, no seatbelts or airbags - of course they could be fitted but fairly useless. 

51 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

One night i was standing outside my wife's cafe /resturant and there is a bar close by  I was just looking at the traffic minding my own business (best way here) and i looked and out came this guy from the bar He was so drunk he could hardly walk  and i thought surely he is not going to drive Surely he will do the right thing like they do where i come from and call a taxi . But no he was heading towards his car ready to drive  And he did  For 1 sec i turned to the wife and said i should go over and tell him to stop and take a taxi, But as the wife pointed out  you could cause big trouble because you are a farang not Thai. It ran in my mind really i did not care if he killed himself but what about the others he might kill Anybody else come across this situation and thought about doing  the same thing i thought of? I find in Thailand Thais would not even think they would try and stop this guy It is like they dont care what damage he can do

You could have tried to convince him not to drive at the risk of being shot, knifed or otherwise dead - - lose of face is sufficient to set of the reaction. 

13 hours ago, Russell17au said:

The statistics that are being given at the moment are updated everyday which include those that die in hospital BUT it will not continue after the 7 days, so if someone is injured on day 1 and the die after day 7 then their death will not be counted

Not according to recently published comments by the authorities - they are all counted. The deaths in hospital will be added sometime later, possibly at the end of the year - but they are included in the overall count.

6 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

The Junta came to power on the back of the claim to improve Thai Society. Their supporters say that the resulting censorship and restriction of human rights is a price worth paying. However if nothing changes , which seems to be the case , then that argument fails as does the case for military rule .

Whatever you say but linking it to drunk driving is crazy I think most sensible people can agree on that.

Until the mindset changes in Thailand it will be impossible to control the carnage on the roads here. Yes, everyone realizes it's a huge problem, but the will to abide by the highway codes & laws of the country does not exist. They all think Budda will protect them & will continue to buy the garlands of flowers at crossroads to keep them safe. This country will never be "safety conscious" as it is just not in the "genes" here ................ fact. I love it here & the way of life is magical, but I always keep off the roads at peak times, holiday periods & meal periods! Ha! Everyone is in a rush to go somewhere is a must here, hence the number of "mishaps". Driving in the "survival mode" is a must here ............. Happy New Year everyone.

13 hours ago, Russell17au said:

The statistics that are being given at the moment are updated everyday which include those that die in hospital BUT it will not continue after the 7 days, so if someone is injured on day 1 and the die after day 7 then their death will not be counted

if you believe they are this organized .........i don't.

I believe they use info out of the local news papers ......allthough this is probably too smart 

to believe , so maybe they just invent a number or toss the dice and then manipulate this number .............i think i have more believers than you ?Watch the likes ( or sad faces)

13 hours ago, moe666 said:

Cry cry cry me a river why did you come to Thailand in the first place I am sure not for the top notch law enforcement or the possiblity of that happening any time soon. If the lack of enforcement has some of you so up set find a nanny state you can move to. Stay off the roads during the holidays and you should be ok.

Yep say you dont think something is right and ya told to find somewhere else, stop playing the nanny state card.

People can have an opposing view to something and not find the whole she bang a problem.

9 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Laws, and the Society that makes those Laws, are responsible for the enforcement of those Laws.

This is a statement  which basically shows a society completely out of control. 

yes. i drove around 700km in trang and hat yai between december 28 and jan 2. 

only got stopped in one checkpoint to show my license.

i must have driven through more than 20 checkpoints where the cops were SITTING beside the checkpoint and not stopping/checking anyone.

busy playing with their phones.

3 minutes ago, hobz said:

yes. i drove around 700km in trang and hat yai between december 28 and jan 2. 

only got stopped in one checkpoint to show my license.

i must have driven through more than 20 checkpoints where the cops were SITTING beside the checkpoint and not stopping/checking anyone.

busy playing with their phones.

Organising their own after work celebrations.... :smile:

On 1/2/2018 at 11:52 AM, robblok said:

Wonder if it was more people breaking the law or more people  being checked. 

you also must factor in tea envelopes when calculating arrests or tickets  ,15-20 % maybe.

On 1/2/2018 at 3:54 PM, Odysseus123 said:

Please tell that to the Thai.

There were zero car deaths caused by foreigners in my area of Isaan  whilst I was living there and most were extremely careful about drinking and driving.

I attended too many Thai funerals caused by MVA's and saw far to many dead drunk Thais climb into their pickups and drive off -with the entire family in the back-to have any degree of equanimity on this subject.

Thumb up for the foreigners who are in Isaan but unfortunately not in the north part of Thailand as this few weeks, quite a lot of foreigners having drunks and raced, so end up in the hospital, one of the young foreigner man just fall down by himself from the bike and broke his leg.