Reaction to US/Thai lovebirds David and Annie on Facebook shows news savvy Thais are growing up!

webfact

Just now, Docno said:

Well, if his ex wife did indeed take him to the cleaners, his best revenge is to send her a link to that YouTube clip...  

Yeah, she would probably have a heart attack from laughing so much.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, caulfield2 said:

He used his best friend's financial guarantee/co-signer in order to meet the income requirement...as he didn't have a job when he brought her back to the US.

Essentially, it's a guarantee that she won't receive any Federal government support/welfare no matter what happens to their relationship, as long as she's in the US.   So if she's not working and they get divorced, his friend assumes responsibility for her financial welfare should David be unable to pay support.

Needless to say, the best friend's wife wasn't too happy to learn of that financial arrangement.

That affidavit that she won't apply for govt assistance isn't worth the paper its printed on, she applies, she will get it - my ex-wife moved to California after divorce, we settled amicably, no alimony for her - she received all kinds of State Aid, Welfare, Abandoned Foreign born spouce (Yes, they called it 'abandoned) was given a HUD house in a small town, paid for education  -  wound up making more money than me (I was in the Army at the time).

Edited by TunnelRat69

The point of the story, that i wrote myself, was to give an opinion that Thais in general were becoming more news savvy and rejecting this kind of trash television pap and subsequent story pretty much as many Western people would do nowadays. It is interesting to note, however, that in the comments here many people are displaying the same old prejudices and opinions of 30/40 years ago.

Maybe the Thais are growing up while some westerners are stuck in the past refusing to believe that the Thais are changing. 

5 minutes ago, elgenon said:

My American friend was living in Pattaya and he and his gf had a baby. He later lost his money in the stock market. So he decided to go back to the States to make money. He married his gf so the American government would give her a visa. Because he had little money, the American government felt he couldn't support his wife in the States so they refused a visa for his wife.

And your point is? I think Great Britain also has a minimum income requirement before they will allow a settlement visa. Both Governments don't want someone who is on welfare going to Thailand marrying some girl and then come back expecting the Gov to support them. Once your friend has worked for awhile and has the funds he can re-apply or he can get a sponsor for the girl.

2 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

Obviously not all that broke. 50,000 sin sot plus buffaloes?

18,000 just to apply for a K1 visa. 40,000 baht airfare to the US, and in AZ e.g. minimum 480,000 baht ($16,000) income to qualify for a fiancee visa, or 5X in available assets. 

If somebody else sponsored them on the financials that is a Hell of a good friend!

I think a lot of that was paid for by the TLC Network...........but this whole shebang smells like a setup to get on Television - it will be interesting to see how it ends - wonder what kind of Visa she entered on - Tourist, France' or did they marry in Thailand.

5 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

What on earth do they find to talk about? Maybe they just eat, and watch TV.

They talk about day to day life; about each other's plans and troubles. Not being up on past or present versions of "Hootie and the Blowfish" isn't as important to some people as others. They can also learn from each other.

17 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

And your point is? I think Great Britain also has a minimum income requirement before they will allow a settlement visa. Both Governments don't want someone who is on welfare going to Thailand marrying some girl and then come back expecting the Gov to support them. Once your friend has worked for awhile and has the funds he can re-apply or he can get a sponsor for the girl.

My point was that the gentleman in the story was reported to have little funds but was able to bring his GF into America. My friend's experience differed. So I am surprised. Sorry I didn't spell it out.

48 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

That affidavit that she won't apply for govt assistance isn't worth the paper its printed on, she applies, she will get it - my ex-wife moved to California after divorce, we settled amicably, no alimony for her - she received all kinds of State Aid, Welfare, Abandoned Foreign born spouce (Yes, they called it 'abandoned) was given a HUD house in a small town, paid for education  -  wound up making more money than me (I was in the Army at the time).

How long after you married did you divorce?  The affidavit only requires that you or sponsor take care of her for 18 months  or 2 years. After that, she can apply. Also if you say she filed as Abandoned Foreign Born Spouse then she was saying you left/abandoned her so then she was allowed to stay and receive benefits.

https://www.stripes.com/news/abandoned-spouses-hotline-program-may-become-a-model-1.100043

Edited by Tony125

2 minutes ago, elgenon said:

My point was that the gentleman in the story was reported to have little funds but was able to bring his GF into America. My friend's experience differed. So I am surprised. Sorry I didn't spell it out.

If you read all the replies to the post ( I know can be a boring waste of time) you will see that one of his friends sponsored the girl = promised to support the girl be responsible for her. I knew a young kid in US working low paid job and quit to come over and marry his GF . I told him "you idiot" now you don't have a job to show you have means to support her. He came back to US got a job and his sister sponsored his wife.

14 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

How long after you married did you divorce?  The affidavit only requires that you or sponsor take care of her for 18 months  or 2 years. After that, she can apply. Also if you say she filed as Abandoned Foreign Born Spouse then she was saying you left/abandoned her so then she was allowed to stay and receive benefits.

We were married almost 2 years so I suppose your point 1 is valid, I was in the Army, she refused to deploy with me to Germany so filed for divorce, (hoping to get alimony and the House)I was protected by the Soldiers and Sailors Act so the marriage was 'Dissolved' under "Dissolution of Marriage Law"  No Alimony, I kept the house - when she moved to California after filing, she talked to a Para-Legal and they chose the Abandonment route to get more State/Federal aid.   I didn't abandon her, she chose not to go with me, was surprised when the Judge ordered the Dissolution and granted me the house and effects, with no alimony.  That was in Tennessee near Ft Campbell, Ky.  I am a nice guy, bought her a car to drive to California with her girl friend.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Slaves?

Yeah, right, that’s what’s happening to the middle class in the West...

The wage of slaves is debt.....think about that it a bit.

The middle class is disappearing rapidly.....maybe not in your world but in the real world.

My father managed to raise 4 kids without Mum working.

My wife worked because she wanted to, and to make life a little bit easier.

My daughter and her husband both HAVE to work. Daughter University educated...SIL a builder.

The world is changing fast.

1 hour ago, Jane Dough said:

The point of the story, that i wrote myself, was to give an opinion that Thais in general were becoming more news savvy and rejecting this kind of trash television pap and subsequent story pretty much as many Western people would do nowadays. It is interesting to note, however, that in the comments here many people are displaying the same old prejudices and opinions of 30/40 years ago.

Maybe the Thais are growing up while some westerners are stuck in the past refusing to believe that the Thais are changing. 

Just off the cuff, perhaps western cynicism is bleeding in with more exposure to the world via the internet.

But IMO, in general, I've always thought middle to higher class Thais have, and still do, look down their noses at Thai/Farang couples - in particular the older/younger match ups, and the persistent idea borne out in casual observation, that clueless farangs wind up with flat nosed, dark skin lovelies from Nakhon Somewhere ~ the poorer caste.  A caste willing to put aside those stereotypes and social stigma for the promise of trickle down economic benefits.  Marrying "up" into money isn't a new thing though, and dang sure wasn't invented by the Thais.  Cinderella was a white chick.  LOL. 

In many of the match ups in this stupid program, the stereotypes and favorite anecdotes are exaggerated, and done so very badly by non-actors trying to execute a script. 

So my hat's off to Thais who are sensible enough to recognize nonsense when they see it, but there are still plenty who would jump at the chance for an opportunity to be lifted out of their current situation.  But you can see the obvious disappointment on what's her name's face when she finds out Dashing David is on the bones of his arse. 

Edited by 55Jay

11 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

The wage of slaves is debt.....think about that it a bit.

The middle class is disappearing rapidly.....maybe not in your world but in the real world.

My father managed to raise 4 kids without Mum working.

My wife worked because she wanted to, and to make life a little bit easier.

My daughter and her husband both HAVE to work. Daughter University educated...SIL a builder.

The world is changing fast.

Both my parents had to work when I grew up. 

Had to. 

There was no shame in it and it is ridiculous to call it slavery. 

As for the middle class in the West, they are a long way from slavery. 

1 hour ago, Jane Dough said:

My friend did the gorilla in the mist tour in africa recently. Amongst other things he told me the various governments in the countries he visited actively promote and heavily subsidise mobile phone usage to allow their people to become aware and educated to the extent that an iPhone can be bought for ten bucks or so. In one place there was no electricity so a whole cottage industry has sprung up with people buying small generators and charging money to charge mobile phones. Don't ask me how they access the internet...I have no idea.

I work in very up country Myanmar....and believe me the people there are very poor but very well connected. They can talk about Trump and Brexit...astounding really.

This access to information will be the eventual downfall of all dictator like governments.....NK included I suspect....eventually.

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

They talk about day to day life; about each other's plans and troubles. Not being up on past or present versions of "Hootie and the Blowfish" isn't as important to some people as others. They can also learn from each other.

I much prefer "Hooters and the Blowjab" personally!!!

4 hours ago, caulfield2 said:

She has to stay for at least 2 years with him in the United States in order to qualify for citizenship/green card.

If I remember correctly, the green card can be applied for almost immediately after the marriage, as I remember my wife getting her green card within two months of our marriage. I think it is the citizenship that requires the long wait.

Because a few Thais watched this dog's dinner does not mean the nation were more or are less or more sophisticated.

Thai education is a better litmus test of that.

The TV company set this whole event up. It's pretty poorly researched and they are both reprehensible examples of village idiots.

She, the cartoon version of an ugly, grasping Thai banok trying to look sophisticated but really her accent and English speaking alludes to something vaguely unsavoury like a 'set-up' job.

He is just a broke dope it seems.

His friend would soon be banging that pussy, if she was attractive and of course if he was a real friend (with attractive but masculine black wife..diversity) 

3 hours ago, caulfield2 said:

He used his best friend's financial guarantee/co-signer in order to meet the income requirement...as he didn't have a job when he brought her back to the US.

Essentially, it's a guarantee that she won't receive any Federal government support/welfare no matter what happens to their relationship, as long as she's in the US.   So if she's not working and they get divorced, his friend assumes responsibility for her financial welfare should David be unable to pay support.

Needless to say, the best friend's wife wasn't too happy to learn of that financial arrangement.

If I remember correctly what I read in the contract that I signed, I not only promised to support my wife, but I also agreed to reimburse the Federal government for any benefits that they provided to her as long as she lived in the US, even if we divorced. I remember the language seriously scaring me.

7 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

What on earth do they find to talk about? Maybe they just eat, and watch TV.

dude aint been 48 in at least 10 years and one face skin  stretch  ......he is what asians call small monet    

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Both my parents had to work when I grew up. 

Had to. 

There was no shame in it and it is ridiculous to call it slavery. 

As for the middle class in the West, they are a long way from slavery. 

Then I guess you are alot younger than me and have not seen the slow decline. Best wishes to you.

7 hours ago, impulse said:

Maybe.  But I know a lot more of them that would give their eye teeth (and their other goodies) just for a shot at a Green Card. 

What to make $10 an hour if they are lucky ? America is no land paved with gold ! Most Thais I know there struggle badly ! Too much cheap labour for them to compete with . 

3 hours ago, timendres said:

If I remember correctly, the green card can be applied for almost immediately after the marriage, as I remember my wife getting her green card within two months of our marriage. I think it is the citizenship that requires the long wait.

First one after fiancé visa is a two year with restrictions . Second is a 10 year with none . Obviously after 5 years you can apply for citizenship - my Thai wife sponsored  me .

39 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

What to make $10 an hour if they are lucky ? America is no land paved with gold ! Most Thais I know there struggle badly ! Too much cheap labour for them to compete with . 

The green card does qualify them to go husband hunting, and gives them plenty of time. 

They seem to know that old Presbyterian proverb:  You can marry more money in 5 minutes than you can make in a lifetime.

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

The green card does qualify them to go husband hunting, and gives them plenty of time. 

They seem to know that old Presbyterian proverb:  You can marry more money in 5 minutes than you can make in a lifetime.

Hahahah never heard that before ! Awesome . I have to say though more then most western countries money seems to marry money in America ! It’s rare to marry down . It’s a country born out of immigrants and that drive for MONEY ?

44 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

Hahahah never heard that before ! Awesome . I have to say though more then most western countries money seems to marry money in America ! It’s rare to marry down . It’s a country born out of immigrants and that drive for MONEY 

It's not really Presbyterian, but I get in trouble with some of the members when I joke about their religion.

I know tons of guys who married down on the economic scale to to get a hottie for a wife.  In fact, I know very few guys who didn't marry someone on a lower pay scale, simply because of the disparity in incomes between typically male and typically female vocations.  But then, I'm an oilfield engineer and the guys outnumber the women by a wide margin in that field, and it was even wider when I was of an eligible age.   And less than 1 in 50 women made more than a petroleum engineer.  Slim pickings...

I'm sure that's different in the silver spoon circles, but I don't know anyone who was born into enough money to retire at age 18.  I certainly didn't date any.

Point being that a good looking Thai lady has prospects in the USA (or Europe) that she would have to be very lucky to find in Thailand.  That's not a slam on Thai guys, but on the economics where a typical salary is 1/10 what it is in other countries.

Edited by impulse

His ex-wife may have taken everything in a divorce; bet it was very little overall. He couldn't have had very much money after paying for health care. I can see that she is half his age but the story is as old as dirt. 

ISN'T  LOVE SWEET ?? I

CAN'T  HELP BUT WONDER WHEN HE LAST DATED AN ATTRACTIVE GIRL HALF HIS AGE IN AMERICA? ?  IT COULD HAVE BEEN ANY ONE OF A THOUSAND GIRLS HERE. . JUST SHE WAS THE FIRST BUT I HOPE THEY ARE VERY HAPPY.. AS I HAVE DONE THE SAME. BUT HAVE LIVED HERE THREE YEARS AND MET LOTS OF WOMAN BEFORE FINDING HER..   NOT TEN DAYS !! 

BUT I WISH THEM BOTH WELL.