Parties could unite but it would show they are out of touch: Prayut

webfact

Parties could unite but it would show they are out of touch: Prayut

By The Nation

4174cdcac7deec311bc8b621c8090771.jpeg

Responding to former Democrat leader Pichai Rattakul’s recent proposal that major parties join forces to reclaim democracy from the military, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha on Thursday said that there is no such military to reclaim the desired democracy from, as his government is not the military.

Prayut said he could not be considered a military officer as he retired from the army for three years ago.

His government, he added, is a mixture of civilians and military officers.

Prayut said it would be the right of political parties to join forces if they were legitimate parties with proper membership and public acceptance.

Pichai on Tuesday said he did not believe a national election would be held this year and that he wanted to see political parties team up to bring back democracy rather than joining forces with the military.

The 91-year-old veteran politician said he did not think he would have the chance to see the return of democracy in his lifetime. Given the new Constitution and the 250 junta-appointed Senate members, it seems that those in power want to continue their rule, he said.

With that in mind, there was not way that political parties could fight [against entrenched military interests] unless they joined forces to do so, he said.

PM Prayut said if those involved in politics believe that they have good ideas for governing the country, they should have no fears that people would abandon them.

Politics this time should not be a battle fought over whether the military is trying to cling to power, he said, noting that the people would cast their votes to determine the country’s future politics.

Citizens and the media should think carefully about whom they should vote for, he said.

“I myself don’t want to have power just because power is there for the ruling. Today I’m a PM who oversees the government and has never applied the military mindset, except for pushing ahead implementation,” said Prayut.

He said that the roadmap would be followed, including passing the last two organic laws required before the election is called. People should not accuse him of dragging his feet on calling the election, as it is the Constitution Drafting Commission’s business and he cannot intervene, he said.

Asked whether the election would still be held in November, Prayut said that has already been announced.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30335383

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-04

14 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

When will people wake up and get rid of this idiot? A Prime Minister is the leader of the elected party in a  democratic government. He is no such thing.

I beg you pardon? One becomes Prime Minister after being approved in a vote about the Government one proposes (Ministers and policies' program) to the Lower Chamber by a majority (minimum of 50% +1) of the elected Members of Parliament (present). Same-same, but quite different IMHO.

Edited by bangrak

Not much on Thai politics or history, are you?  The so-called "election" that "legitimized" his position of Prime Minister, was done by a militarily bloated, appointed congress, of which not one single member was elected by the populous. So, that so-called election was a phony as him taking on the title of Prime Minister. 

24 minutes ago, bangrak said:

I'd rather think Mr Prayuth (as I can't call him 'General' anymore...) is quite afraid of such a (though highly improbable) union of PTP and DP, as it would ruin most of his strategic plans...

I think you are quite right.. it scares him. Like you i think its unlikely that the parties will unite but it is scary for him.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“I myself don’t want to have power just because power is there for the ruling. Today I’m a PM who oversees the government and has never applied the military mindset, except for pushing ahead implementation,” said Prayut.

You are the head of a military junta who came to power after the military coup YOU staged. You have granted yourself the power to do exactly as you please and jail your critics. You are nothing more than a bandit and no amount of rewriting history will change that.

I wonder if returning to Democracy,is as important to politicians 

as getting their noses into the trough of corruption again,as it's

been quiet a while ,and seeing all these high value projects that

have been done,must be making their mouths water,if/when they

manage to get into power,suspect projects cancelled and new bids called. 

regards worgeordie

There will be an election ONLY if and when, Pan-O knows he has a guaranteed return to power, either by winning a rigged election, or by the new law of "appointment".  He's tasted the power, and no way in hell he will give it up without a fight to the death.  Which might not be a bad solution. 

3 hours ago, baboon said:

You are the head of a military junta who came to power after the military coup YOU staged. You have granted yourself the power to do exactly as you please and jail your critics. You are nothing more than a bandit and no amount of rewriting history will change that.

Sorry to contradict you, 'baboon', it's just IMO, but Prayuth (Prawit &Co.) executed the coup, but they didn't 'stage' it, others, in the highest echelons of power did, the same way they did with coups of the past. The more pressing matter, was a nearing sad event which could potentially have led to events which could have put the whole 'system' in jeopardy. A 'peacefull' transition needed to be insured for when The-One-All-Thais-Worship would leave for the next world, and, ...to impose their agenda to His Successor. It had become urgent for 'the system', as Someone's health was, alas, fastly degrading, and the silly moves of TS's YS 'administration', followed by ST's PDRC's occupations, gave the perfect excuse for the, long prepared, coup to be executed...

18 minutes ago, bangrak said:

Sorry to contradict you, 'baboon', it's just IMO, but Prayuth (Prawit &Co.) executed the coup, but they didn't 'stage' it, others, in the highest echelons of power did, the same way they did with coups of the past. The more pressing matter, was a nearing sad event which could potentially have led to events which could have put the whole 'system' in jeopardy. A 'peacefull' transition needed to be insured for when The-One-All-Thais-Worship would leave for the next world, and, ...to impose their agenda to His Successor. It had become urgent for 'the system', as Someone's health was, alas, fastly degrading, and the silly moves of TS's YS 'administration', followed by ST's PDRC's occupations, gave the perfect excuse for the, long prepared, coup to be executed...

Staged, executed... A distinction without a difference. A Prayudh military coup it was until there is evidence to the contrary.

17 minutes ago, baboon said:

Staged, executed... A distinction without a difference. A Prayudh military coup it was until there is evidence to the contrary.

Up to you 'baboon'. To me it's same-same, but very different... 

The only people that are out-of-touch are you and your dinosaur cronies. Secondly, you are not a politician as you have not been elected by the public to any position yet, not even as village headman...sorry to point that out. Also, if you are calling yourself a politician suddenly now, then I guess it's no more military uniform and fruit salad on your chest for you and your henchmen then huh? Never heard such nonsense...ludicrous.

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Today I’m a PM who oversees the government and has never applied the military mindset, except for pushing ahead implementation

The fool either doesn't understand the definition of never or except. :unsure:

14 hours ago, webfact said:

People should not accuse him of dragging his feet on calling the election, as it is the Constitution Drafting Commission’s business and he cannot intervene, he said.

He always intervenes - did he forget that he recently invoked Art.44 to change the CDC's timeline for politicians. :post-4641-1156693976: