undertaking...

pennine

Until people learn to keep left except when overtaking it is inevitable.

When someone drives in the right hand lane, then the person passing on the left is following the rule that you can pass on the left when in queuing traffic moving at different speeds.  The person on the right is forming queuing traffic, and if one chooses to move to the empty queue in the left hand lane, then why not?  Or would you preferto stay behind them in the left lane, in their blind spot?

On 1/4/2018 at 6:25 PM, StreetCowboy said:

Until people learn to keep left except when overtaking it is inevitable.

When someone drives in the right hand lane, then the person passing on the left is following the rule that you can pass on the left when in queuing traffic moving at different speeds.  The person on the right is forming queuing traffic, and if one chooses to move to the empty queue in the left hand lane, then why not?  Or would you preferto stay behind them in the left lane, in their blind spot?

That's not what I am talking about. I'm talking about motorbikes who overtake on the left with just enough room for the handle bars, then cut in front of you for good measure.

1 hour ago, pennine said:

That's not what I am talking about. I'm talking about motorbikes who overtake on the left with just enough room for the handle bars, then cut in front of you for good measure.

In central Bangkok the motorbikes flow around you like water...  for the most part it seems to work, we (car drivers) just have to ensure we do not make any sudden maneuvers or lane changes and drive predictably so that the motorcyclists and select a path around us when 'threading traffic'.

This does not mean that the motorcyclists are riding unsafely, its the only way for them to 'get ahead' in heavy traffic which apart from cheaper costs is pretty much the sole purpose of having a motorcycle in the city. 

I do get frustrated at the amount of times I consider I've 'saved' a motorcyclists from injury when they have 'chanced their luck' in pulling out in front of me or cutting me up and I am forced to emergency brake.

For the most part it seems to work and there is relatively little 'coming together' of motorcyclists and cars in the central city areas given the potential - That said: Thailand is now #1 for road deaths for a reason.