Thai Consulate In Langkawi

Hello all,

Just thought I would give an update on the Thai consulate on Langkawi island.

As Thai Air Asia recently has started flights from Bangkok to Langkawi, the island could become a new destination for visa runs. However, I am here now and visited the consulate today, and they informed me that they do not issue any visas to non-Thais. Their sole purpose for now is to serve Thais in Malaysia - probably mostly Thais working here. Non-Thais must go to Penang (or somewhere else).

I wonder whether they realise that these new flights could mean lots of extra income for them? But then again maybe I am thinking too logically...

Hello all,

As Thai Air Asia recently has started flights from Bangkok to Langkawi, the island could become a new destination for visa runs. However, I am here now and visited the consulate today, and they informed me that they do not issue any visas to non-Thais. Their sole purpose for now is to serve Thais in Malaysia - probably mostly Thais working here. Non-Thais must go to Penang (or somewhere else).

I wonder whether they realise that these new flights could mean lots of extra income for them? But then again maybe I am thinking too logically...

thanks for posting that information. A lot of us were curious about Langkawi. Hopefully you will have a good time.... What is your back up plan? you can probably shoot a ferry over to Penang and get the TV so you don't return empty handed.

thanks for posting that information. A lot of us were curious about Langkawi. Hopefully you will have a good time.... What is your back up plan? you can probably shoot a ferry over to Penang and get the TV so you don't return empty handed.

Oh, I didn't specifically come here to get a new visa, but I would have acquired one for use in the near future if it were possible. So I won't have to go to Penang. It was virtually impossible to get info on the consulate here anyway, even the Thai consulate in Penang never replied to my email asking about it.

I made this trip because Air Asia was offering free seats and I love flying, and I had never visited Langkawi before. I paid only 2500 baht or so for the return flight's taxes and surcharges. For those of you looking for a nice place to spend a few days, it is a lovely island at only 1.5 hours flying! And for aviation enthusiasts like me, the airport offers some excellent opportunities to photograph aircraft...

and they informed me that they do not issue any visas to non-Thais.

so basically they're saying "we only issue visas to thai nationals"?

classic!! :o

No, that means they do the other job that embassies and consulates do which is to watch out for the interests of the thousands of Thai nationals working in that area of Malaysia.

I suspect what they meant was they do not issue visas for non-residents of Malaysia, not an uncommon criteria.

TH

Hello all,

Not sure what the cost is now, but in the early 1990's MAS used to have a ridiculously cheap flight of about 10 USD for Penang to Langkawi. Do they still fly this sector?

Not sure what the cost is now, but in the early 1990's MAS used to have a ridiculously cheap flight of about 10 USD for Penang to Langkawi. Do they still fly this sector?

Yes, MAS is still flying on this sector. They have five flights per week, on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturay and Sunday. So you could catch the Monday flight to Penang, do the visa application on Tuesday and fly back on Wednesday, for example.

I had a look on their website at fares for going on 5 February and coming back on the 7th and the fare quoted was RM 250 return, about 2500 baht. Not USD 10 anymore, but still quite cheap.