Japanese tourist killed by boat propellor in Koh Similan

snoop1130

Japanese tourist killed by boat propellor in Koh Similan

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

26553341_10210296509994777_2079929618_n.jpg

Just days after the Phuket Governor reported a clean sheet for marine boat accidents during the Seven Dangerous Days reporting period, a Japanese tourist has died during a trip to Koh Similan.

37 year old Yoshida Saori from Japan was scuba diving alone near Koh Tachai yesterday (January 4). She jumped from the boat when a big wave pushed her under the boat. Her head hit the propellor resulting in deep wounds and damage which proved to be fatal.

She was being rushed to Takuapa Hospital by a speed boat from the Similan Islands National Park but died during the journey back to shore. Her body is now being kept the hospital pending a full autopsy and contact with the woman’s relatives.

Full Story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/japanese-tourist-killed-boat-prop-similan-islands

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2018-1-5

Sad.

Still a clean sheet for Phuket though, Similan are in phang nga province.

If the story is correct it sounds like a mistake by the captain, no way should divers be allowed to jump if current or waves can push them against the boat, should always be away from the boat.

Edited by stevenl

Totally preventable accident. Complete disregard of safety procedures by those responsible for control of the boat. (I hesitate to use the rank 'captain' as it suggests training, expertise, experience and qualifications). Consequences for those responsible will be minimal. Expect another propellor tourist death soon.

If you have people going into the water the there should always be someone at the helm and he should be aided by a spotter watching those in the water. But as these people have no training in safety these incidents are going to continue to happen.

8 hours ago, Seismic said:

If you have people going into the water the there should always be someone at the helm and he should be aided by a spotter watching those in the water. But as these people have no training in safety these incidents are going to continue to happen.

Since she was jumping, probably there was someone at the helm plus someone watching. 

So either the captain made a mistake, or she jumped before she was told to do so.

OK new tourism Minister over to you.

Blah Blah something about tourist safety in the water Blah Blah. Well he hasn't been in the job long has he, let's check the stats in a year or two, and look for an improvement.

This was a dive trip where the diver entered the water and the strong current took her into the propeller. Agree that boat captain is responsible. But I wonder if the diver was certified and qualified? Does a qualified diver know to not go into the water with a current that strong going toward the motor? Can some really experienced divers comment on this please. 

40 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

This was a dive trip where the diver entered the water and the strong current took her into the propeller. Agree that boat captain is responsible. But I wonder if the diver was certified and qualified? Does a qualified diver know to not go into the water with a current that strong going toward the motor? Can some really experienced divers comment on this please. 

You would trust the captain to give the jump signal at the right time, as a diver standing on the platform it is not easy to recignise currents and waves.

Apparently though there is more to it in this case, the diver was apparently returning from a dive together with the instructor/divemaster, ended up under the boat without using her marker buoy, and the captain turned on the propellers, not knowing this diver was under the boat, to move the boat and collect other divers.

1 minute ago, steelepulse said:

Any particular reason besides a bit of extra cost why boats don't have prop cages?  How many preventable deaths have occurred here with props killing people?  

What I heard is that a prop guard make the prop less efficient. Don't know enough about that to confirm or deny that, but know of no boat in the area that has them. Besides humans it would also protect marine animals, think especially turtles.

So yes, I think they would be a good idea, I also think that they will be made compulsory in the (not too distant) future.

Another vague article that has no details. It doesn't say if the props were turning, but I am guessing they were. Why was she jumping off the side of the boat that had waves that could "push her under the boat." Props should be disengaged when divers are entering or exiting the boat and one should enter the water where  a wave would push you away from, not under the boat. Common sense.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

As mentioned earlier, the original story was not completely correct, the accident did not happen on jumping from the boat.

the jumping bit is irrelevant. Anyone who uses a boat knows that you don't allow people in the water whilst the propeller is running. A pal of mine learnt the hard way wake boarding. He got his legs swept under and the prop took a big chunk out of his calf. 

1 minute ago, foxboy said:

the jumping bit is irrelevant. Anyone who uses a boat knows that you don't allow people in the water whilst the propeller is running. A pal of mine learnt the hard way wake boarding. He got his legs swept under and the prop took a big chunk out of his calf. 

She was returning from a dive. And with boats picking up divers on drift dives, there will always be a prop running.

7 hours ago, Wake Up said:

In Australia the boat should be stopped and the motor stopped or at least in neutral so that the prop is not turning

The diver should also have checked the direction of the current before dropping in

Ladder is not required when entering the water, its much easier to just step off or backward roll

48 minutes ago, GTgrizzly said:

In Australia the boat should be stopped and the motor stopped or at least in neutral so that the prop is not turning

The diver should also have checked the direction of the current before dropping in

Ladder is not required when entering the water, its much easier to just step off or backward roll

The accident did not happen while entering the water. Please read earlier comments.

But if it would have happened while entering the water, habits are the same as in Australia. Divers are standing on the platform ready to jump, they don't check for currents. Captain stops the engines and signals to jump.

Edited by stevenl

The other difference here is that no sanctions are applied to the operators of these businesses. With the draconian defamation laws, companies involved in incidents are not allowed to be named, so tour operators, hospitals, hotels, restaurants etc never have any damage done to their reputations and customers have no information about which businesses are safe and which don't give a damn.

Consumer protection doesn't really figure, and no organisation like "Which" from the UK to champion consumer rights. The courts don't enforce any realistic damage claims. Death is settled with a wai, an apology and a few thousand baht.

This means that companies don't invest in safety precautions including staff training and equipment as they have nothing to fear. Dream on with propellor guards until someone important gets injured/killed, the the government might "force" it in over a period of five years.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

The accident did not happen while entering the water. Please read earlier comments.

But if it would have happened while entering the water, habits are the same as in Australia. Divers are standing on the platform ready to jump, they don't check for currents. Captain stops the engines and signals to jump.

And if you read my comments, there is no mention of it happening while entering the water

8 hours ago, foxboy said:

Zackery foxboy, thanks for the backup 

6 hours ago, GTgrizzly said:

And if you read my comments, there is no mention of it happening while entering the water

Your words, 'the diver should also have checked the current before dropping in'.